Employment Question | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Employment Question

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Can we just forget about the publix thing. This thread was supposed to be about universal jobs. now I'm getting life lessons about how to be thankful n such. I have a lot of friends who work at publix, I just want something a little more exciting is all. :thumbs:

for the record I did mean to sound ignorant, but only in a joking way. It was simply a joke. obviously there aren't many places for minors to work. I'd just rather hold it over my friends heads that I work at a theme park not a grocery store.

Last edited:
Auditioning for HHN is an easy, if not one of the easiest, ways to get into the park as a Team Member. From there, after you've met the attendance requirements and the 6 month minimum, you can apply to transfer to a different department and work your way up from there!

Reactions: Felipe
Can we just forget about the publix thing. This thread was supposed to be about universal jobs. now I'm getting life lessons about how to be thankful n such. I have a lot of friends who work at publix, I just want something a little more exciting is all. :thumbs:

for the record I did mean to sound ignorant, but only in a joking way. It was simply a joke. obviously there aren't many places for minors to work. I'd just rather hold it over my friends heads that I work at a theme park not a grocery store.

This is a joke, too, right?

I actually knew somebody who worked at Disney and Publix at the same time -- absoloutely hated everything about working at Disney (really enjoys going to the parks though) and loves Publix.

I would suggest taking any job experience you can get. I would stop the assumptions that working at a theme park is better than a grocery store, because quite frankly it's not and it depends on your co-workers and the leadership above you.

Also, working in a theme park can be really tough. It's not all hunky dory. There are times when you have 100 guests yelling at you complaining about a million different things. Working an outdoor attraction is a whole other story.

Enjoy the job you recieve and learn everything you can from it.

This is a joke, too, right?

Ha ha. A bus boy is a bus boy is a bus boy... But you would prob make more money busing at a fancy restaurant instead, you could hold the pay rate over your friends heads :thumbs:

Here's an idea. I worked last year in a warehouse for a minor league baseball team affiliated with the Philadelphia Phillies. There are a ton of minor league teams in Florida, and working their last year is similar to working in a theme park. Well, at least that's what my mom said. I was 16 when I worked last year, and if I wanted to, I could have applied to Six Flags Great Adventure this summer. Now I don't know if I could get my job today in Florida, but consider all possible options. Good Luck! :thumbs:

And reading through the comments, some of you guys are mean! :down:

When you work in a theme park you often forget you are in a theme park. It could be worse than a "grocery store job". Being outside in the heat, dealing with angry guests that have complaints that have nothing to do with you, having co-workers you don't like, it can get old fast.

Yeah, my friend who is in college works for Uni and he hates it. Hates dealing with the guests and hates working outside in the heat. He is hoping by summer to have a better job.

Holding something over your friends head is not all that it is cracked up to be. I had the coolest job as a high school student (did not do it to be cool, did it because it was the only job I could talk my parents into) and most of my friends just got mad and jealous. Overall that was the worst part of having the job. I still sometimes get snide remarks from them and I am 36 - lol Mind you they are now joking, but still, just get any job you can get, most all of them are the same at that age. Limiting yourself just means you will probably end up with no job.

It all depends on where you work and who you work with in the park. Most of my friends that work at Universal love it. I have a couple friends who work at Disney and they hate it. All depends on company ect. Also the whole "Stoop to the level of a Publix bagger" take what you can get! And you'll probably make more at Publix than you would at a theme park. Target hires at 16, It's a great place to for a first job that pays over $8.00 an hour. I recently applied to the new Transformers Ride ( I'm 22 and just wanted to have a part time fun job and keep my normal job that I went to school for) and the pay was horrendous! not even $8.00 an hour.

i'll definitely take what you guys said into consideration. (and maybe even apply to publix lol). It's just I spend a lot of time at the parks and free admission alone sounds like it's worth applying to uni. but we'll see.

If you're looking for benefits, even as a seasonal member, Universal is the place to go. SO many benefits. Free admission, discounts on merch and marquee events, employee previews (be it for HHN or even movies), and free parking! Definitely apply.

When you work in a theme park you often forget you are in a theme park. It could be worse than a "grocery store job". Being outside in the heat, dealing with angry guests that have complaints that have nothing to do with you, having co-workers you don't like, it can get old fast.

It even changes heavily from theme park to theme park and company to company. I'll leave it at that.

i'll definitely take what you guys said into consideration. (and maybe even apply to publix lol). It's just I spend a lot of time at the parks and free admission alone sounds like it's worth applying to uni. but we'll see.

I don't think anyone is saying don't apply. If you are going to apply you should do it ASAP. They are already hiring seasonal help probably. We are just saying, don't just apply there.

I don't think anyone is saying don't apply. If you are going to apply you should do it ASAP. They are already hiring seasonal help probably. We are just saying, don't just apply there.

You have to be persistent with Publix though, you should speak with the manager every now and then and ask if anything new has come up. Cashiers make more than minimum wage btw :thumbs:

If you're looking for benefits, even as a seasonal member, Universal is the place to go. SO many benefits. Free admission, discounts on merch and marquee events, employee previews (be it for HHN or even movies), and free parking! Definitely apply.

Maybe you would know, or anyone else on here, what are Universal's requirements for seasonal? I'm FT at Disney and would like to work seasonal in Harry Potter merchandise. (also, I am tired of buying annual passes lol). I know with Disney, seasonal new hires have to have 10 full weeks of availability when they are first hired on. From there on out they can submit their availability. Then all seasonal CM at Disney (since I was one last year) have to work 150 hours in a year (sparing the details).

So I was trying to get an idea of what Universal requires before I even attempt to apply.

Maybe you would know, or anyone else on here, what are Universal's requirements for seasonal? I'm FT at Disney and would like to work seasonal in Harry Potter merchandise. (also, I am tired of buying annual passes lol). I know with Disney, seasonal new hires have to have 10 full weeks of availability when they are first hired on. From there on out they can submit their availability. Then all seasonal CM at Disney (since I was one last year) have to work 150 hours in a year (sparing the details).

So I was trying to get an idea of what Universal requires before I even attempt to apply.

Make sure that neither employment agreement includes a non-competitive agreement. IDK, but I would assume that both would have it in there somewhere.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts