What do you shoot with? | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yup, intermediate cameras for these manufacturers are around 599-1199 with the pro cameras going from the 1500-6000 dollar range.

So I have a question for you guys, I currently have a D90. I purchased it when I was a Photo student and while I have taken some GREAT pictures with it, it's currently just too heavy and bulky to carry around. I'm looking for a camera that can fit into my pocket but if that's not possible I'll settle for a camera that isn't too bulky or heavy. Since I have experience using a DSLR and I know my way around the advanced features, I don't want a simple point and shoot because I know the limitations are going to drive me crazy. I was considering the Sony RX100, so if anyone has experience with that camera or another one that fits what I described, that would be great. Thanks.

So I have a question for you guys, I currently have a D90. I purchased it when I was a Photo student and while I have taken some GREAT pictures with it, it's currently just too heavy and bulky to carry around. I'm looking for a camera that can fit into my pocket but if that's not possible I'll settle for a camera that isn't too bulky or heavy. Since I have experience using a DSLR and I know my way around the advanced features, I don't want a simple point and shoot because I know the limitations are going to drive me crazy. I was considering the Sony RX100, so if anyone has experience with that camera or another one that fits what I described, that would be great. Thanks.

Only issue i don't like with the RX100 is your limited to the lens built in to camera. From what you say it sounds like something along the lines of a Sony Nex7 is what your looking for unless you don't mind using the one lens. Keep im mind Sony is rumored to be releasing an updated Nex7 and/or possibly a Nex 9. Also rumors that one of those will have a full frame sensor.

Only issue i don't like with the RX100 is your limited to the lens built in to camera. From what you say it sounds like something along the lines of a Sony Nex7 is what your looking for unless you don't mind using the one lens. Keep im mind Sony is rumored to be releasing an updated Nex7 and/or possibly a Nex 9. Also rumors that one of those will have a full frame sensor.

Hmm, the Nex7 does look interesting and I wouldn't mind a full frame sensor but I'm looking for something a bit cheaper. I'm gonna be selling the D90 so I guess it all depends on how much I manage to get for it, the more I get, the more expensive the replacement can be. I'm not too bothered by only using one lens, I don't have any replacement lenses for my D90 but I do want to experiment with new lenses in the future. Honestly, after I changed majors I sort of lost my love and interest in Photography after a few bad experiences and now I'm feeling the interest return, I want to be a photographer again but I want to start slow and not spend too much in case I crash and burn again :smiley:

Once Sony announces the updaye to the Nex 7 im sure you will be able to find deals on that. Thought i heard about an August release. There is alsways the Nex6 which isn't too shabby either

Just purchased a Flashpoint DG600 MonoLight for studio work. I know it's a less expensive unit but for what I'm doing it should work out just fine. The feature that sold me on this particular unit was the LED model light due to less heat and less electricity use. Granted it will produce less light but again it should be fine for me.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Just got my hands on a Nikon D3200, and In awe of how cool this camera is, and considering the upgrade from an old school Canon Rebel Xti, this new one blows my mind. It's crazy good.

I've got my eye on a Mefoto, but I think it will have to wait a few months. I'd love to not carry around my big, heavy tripod during the summer heat, though...not to mention having one that would probably fit in the Universal ride lockers finally (current one is literally just an inch too long).

I've got my eye on a Mefoto, but I think it will have to wait a few months. I'd love to not carry around my big, heavy tripod during the summer heat, though...not to mention having one that would probably fit in the Universal ride lockers finally (current one is literally just an inch too long).

You can always rent a large one for the day and keep it in there and go back as often as you need. That is what I had to do when i met up with all you guys.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I purchased a Flashpoint DG600 MonoLight. Well it came in yesterday and I am definitely impressed with the unit for the cost. We'll start with the cost, I purchased it direct and the whole kit was $209.95 shipped. I did find less expensive kits on eBay but I did not want an incandescent modeling light due to the cost of running it, the heat it throws off and the need for frequent replacement.

The kit includes the following:

•600DG Monolight
•Flashtube
•Tube Protector
•Reflector
•Black Air Cushioned 7.5' Light Stand
•40" Black/ White Umbrella

I purchased this kit as the wife and I sell quite a lot on eBay. We both buy and sell and sell on commission. I have been having issues with lighting lately as we are selling a lot of small item lately. Many of them are dark and hard to shoot the details properly. With this lighting kit not only can I bring out much greater detail I can also keep the White Balance between shots without have to rebalance with a card. It just makes my job soooo much easier. I have the light/umbrella positioned at about 45d from the object and slightly above. This position tends to remove all shadows and generally cleans up the appearance of the shot. Also, the light output is adjustable in 60 steps for 1f to 6f.

I love it and it was well worth the investment. When I get better at shooting with it I'll post a few of the shots. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.
A few shots of the light follow.

Monolight-01.jpg

Monolight-03.jpg

Monolight-02.jpg

Notice the LEDs used as the modeling light behind the strobe tube.
Monolight-04.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I was thinking about saving up my money and getting an actual DSLR - I got very used to using one this year in my photography class and I love the quality of the pictures I can get out of them.
So would you guys recommend the Canon T3i? I came across it at Target today and it seems really nice (plus I love Canon in general)...

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I purchased a Flashpoint DG600 MonoLight. Well it came in yesterday and I am definitely impressed with the unit for the cost. We'll start with the cost, I purchased it direct and the whole kit was $209.95 shipped. I did find less expensive kits on eBay but I did not want an incandescent modeling light due to the cost of running it, the heat it throws off and the need for frequent replacement.

The kit includes the following:

•600DG Monolight
•Flashtube
•Tube Protector
•Reflector
•Black Air Cushioned 7.5' Light Stand
•40" Black/ White Umbrella

I purchased this kit as the wife and I sell quite a lot on eBay. We both buy and sell and sell on commission. I have been having issues with lighting lately as we are selling a lot of small item lately. Many of them are dark and hard to shoot the details properly. With this lighting kit not only can I bring out much greater detail I can also keep the White Balance between shots without have to rebalance with a card. It just makes my job soooo much easier. I have the light/umbrella positioned at about 45d from the object and slightly above. This position tends to remove all shadows and generally cleans up the appearance of the shot. Also, the light output is adjustable in 60 steps for 1f to 6f.

I love it and it was well worth the investment. When I get better at shooting with it I'll post a few of the shots. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.
A few shots of the light follow.

Monolight-01.jpg

Monolight-03.jpg

Monolight-02.jpg

Notice the LEDs used as the modeling light behind the strobe tube.
Monolight-01.jpg

Hey Bob id love to see a finished product shot of something you took using this new light. Studio shooting is something ive wanted to start looking into just really to do family portraits. I really dont have a clue when it comes to this type of stuff though :lol:

Hey guys, so I was thinking about saving up my money and getting an actual DSLR - I got very used to using one this year in my photography class and I love the quality of the pictures I can get out of them.
So would you guys recommend the Canon T3i? I came across it at Target today and it seems really nice (plus I love Canon in general)...

Buy the best camera you can afford :lol: You cant got wrong with a Canon and that one is a good camera.