Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the actual Lockheed complex isn't going anywhere. I haven't heard any rumblings of moving operations or research facilities. When most of us refer to the "Lockheed land" we're referring to a few excess, unbuilt lots they still own and the massive lots just to the south and east of the complex, not the actual complex itself. Those larger lots (and most every empty lot along that section of Universal Blvd.) are not owned by Lockheed, but rather by a general land company known as Fourth Quarter Properties, which is based out of Georgia and is in the midst of at least a few bankruptcy proceedings and has dumped land in the process.

I'm pretty sure the actual Lockheed complex isn't going anywhere. I haven't heard any rumblings of moving operations or research facilities. When most of us refer to the "Lockheed land" we're referring to a few excess, unbuilt lots they still own and the massive lots just to the south and east of the complex, not the actual complex itself. Those larger lots (and most every empty lot along that section of Universal Blvd.) are not owned by Lockheed, but rather by a general land company known as Fourth Quarter Properties, which is based out of Georgia and is in the midst of at least a few bankruptcy proceedings and has dumped land in the process.

Thanks for the information, I actually thought it was the complex land.

That is quite the amount of space in between the different parks. I know Disney has all of its land but it's just weird thinking about all of that "extra" stuff (buildings etc) in between the original UOR and the "third gate"

Yep. It would take me a bit to look up the articles/cases again (I may do that, land owning entities like FQP are a little hard to track down as they don't really have much of an internet presence or public-facing business purpose), but some articles from late 2011/early 2012 mention dumping some land to try and help the financial situation. I don't believe any land in Orlando was a part of it, it was all around developments up in the Atlanta area, but if he's in deep enough and is desperate enough…

EDIT: The development I was thinking of was in Austin, not Atlanta. Here's the first article I dug up, there appears to be more on that specific plot. I can't find the other one I'm looking for, though, that has a few other details. If you click on Thomas' name in that article, it brings up other relevant articles. As you can see, He's set up multiple FQP numbers for almost every lot he has, which makes this a little confusing.

EDIT #2: A search result for Stan Thomas finally turned up an interesting article on the Universal Blvd. and some other I-Drive area lots in the Sentinel. I surprised we missed this last year.

Last edited:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if people meant the actual factory or the large amount of empty land around it. I just assumed both.

If we assume the Lockheed plot is the future 3rd gate and/or water park. You'd have to assume they would build another garage there. How about they connect the lockheed plot, the WNW area plots(which would be converted to hotels), and the existing garage/transportation hub with a monorail system? That way anyone staying at any of the hotels could hop on the train and go to all areas. Something like this:

With Blue being hotels, purple being stops, yellow being new parking, and green being the 3rd gate. The rail would probably need to extend north to the existing hotels, but I was done when I remembered them. THe route I took just was quick, most logical looking one. There is probably one that makes this more feasible. It also would need quite a bit of land and right of way purchase including crossing I-4, but if all the rumors on here about expansions are true, this might be the best way to pull it off.

That doesn't really feel like a resort to me if everything is so spread out.

So the resort wouldn't have the two sections connected, correct? :pray:

Like, would you have to hop on a monorail or something to get to the third gate, water park, and other hotels

- - - Updated - - -

Have you ever been to Walt Disney World? It's spread over 40 square miles! This is nothing compared to that.

Yes, but everything is connected. To me, it feels like two separate "Universal Orlando"'s.

So the resort wouldn't have the two sections connected, correct? :pray:

Like, would you have to hop on a monorail or something to get to the third gate, water park, and other hotels

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but everything is connected. To me, it feels like two separate "Universal Orlando"'s.

It's all connected by (Supposedly, remember we are arguing over blue-sky) a Monorail which is much more connected then the Transportation fiasco it is for a hotel guest to go from MK-MGM.

whatever the point may be, 3 water rides doesnt even consist of a literal "half" of a water park.
First of all, I was joking. But you have to admit, there is water almost around every corner at the park. I really hope Dudley sees the same fate as Jaws when Toon Lagoon sees it's overhaul. The worst of the three water rides for me. And it's not even close.

Then you should have clarified...curse this internet for making it difficult to distinguish sarcasm and reality!

Well of course theres water around almost every corner..cant have people dying of a heat stroke in the middle of a Florida summer especially in a park thats not retrofitted for strictly water rides. In fact looking at both parks and combining 3 water rides of two parks, Uni can stand to have another water ride.

In fact looking at both parks and combining 3 water rides of two parks, Uni can stand to have another water ride.
Well, since Uni has no water rides currently (outside of the slide in Kidszone), i'd be inclined to agree. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.