Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Free Parking ON or AFTER first visit?

Dec 30, 2012
Sorry to do this :horse: I tried the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for, although it has been discussed. I've read conflicting info on the free parking policy with a new pass. Is there indeed a way around paying for parking right after purchasing the preferred pass online? I know what the policy states, but some are saying it is not enforced.

Not really...Universal pretty much requires that you pay for parking the first time around, even if you're buying an annual pass.

I would however, just explain the situation to the parking attendant and they may comp it for you. It really depends on the team member you receive. The easiest way to get around it though, is to have someone drop you off, so you can purchase the passes without having to pay.

Thanks for the reply Eric! I wanted to follow up because I visited for the first time Saturday, said to the TM "Someone told me if you get a really nice Team Member, they will let you park your first time". She asked me for my print out, which I didn't have but gave her my confirmation # and ID, and she indeed let me park for free! I told her "You made my day" and it really did start the trip off right:spongebob:

When I bought my pass online, I parked at TGI Fridays across the street. Walked across and processed my pass, walked into the park and activated it, walked back to TGI Friday's and moved my car into the garage for free. It's a bit of a walk and took about 45 mins, but I saved $16. To most that isn't worth it. But I don't have a lot of money and we are here a lot so I didn't mind.

If you try it, just explain to TGI Friday's what you are doing. They are very nice/apathetic about it.

Thanks for the reply Eric! I wanted to follow up because I visited for the first time Saturday, said to the TM "Someone told me if you get a really nice Team Member, they will let you park your first time". She asked me for my print out, which I didn't have but gave her my confirmation # and ID, and she indeed let me park for free! I told her "You made my day" and it really did start the trip off right:spongebob:

That's great to hear! It really does depend on the team member and how willing they are to let guests through.

When I bought my pass online, I parked at TGI Fridays across the street. Walked across and processed my pass, walked into the park and activated it, walked back to TGI Friday's and moved my car into the garage for free. It's a bit of a walk and took about 45 mins, but I saved $16. To most that isn't worth it. But I don't have a lot of money and we are here a lot so I didn't mind.

If you try it, just explain to TGI Friday's what you are doing. They are very nice/apathetic about it.

Jeez, that sounds like a lot of work :lol:. I think its been discussed previously in another thread, but I really wish Universal would change their policy. I know at Disney if you bring your receipt to guest services with your annual pass they'll reimburse you for parking in cash.

I have lost my AP before, and I can't remember which, but they either waved me through at the booth. Or they compensated me at guest relations, either way I didn't pay. As Eric said, it really depends on the TM, as with many things. Has anyone tried parking at say the portifino or royal pacific to do this? Do they monitor traffic tightly? I go to the Disney hotels sometimes just to look around at decorations and such, and they have never cared that I wasn't a guest. Although I am an AP holder.

I have lost my AP before, and I can't remember which, but they either waved me through at the booth. Or they compensated me at guest relations, either way I didn't pay. As Eric said, it really depends on the TM, as with many things. Has anyone tried parking at say the portifino or royal pacific to do this? Do they monitor traffic tightly? I go to the Disney hotels sometimes just to look around at decorations and such, and they have never cared that I wasn't a guest. Although I am an AP holder.

If you have a pass and lost it the parking attendant can actually look you up on the computer and give you you're free parking. I've had to do it a couple times now. As for parking at the hotels, yes they monitor it. When you get to the parking lot you have to take a ticket before it lets you in. Then on the way out you have to put the ticket back in the machine followed by payment for however long you stayed. If your actually staying at the hotel you just use your room key.

Parking at the hotels cost even more! :lol:
I think it's $18 a day at the Loews properties.

You are allowed to park at Guest Drop-Off for 30 minutes, and its free. Thats more than enough time to get your pass and then come back to the car to park it. Theres usually a TM at Guest Drop-Off, and if you explain to him/her what youre doing they are cool with it, as long as you dont exceed the 30 minute limit.

Parking @ the hotels is NOT included with an annual pass on any day @ Universal .(first ,last or in between)
Parking @ the hotels is charged to your room even if using annual pass discount.

I just got a room within walking distance (Days inn on caravan ct) Not a great hotel but it was cheap .
I just walked on first day to avoid parking fee . You could also just stop and run in to activate your pass
while someone else drives around while you do that.

Sitting at the Tampa airport waiting to leave but what we did at the start of our trip worked great for us. We arrived at the parks at about 7:30pm after flying in that evening. We paid the after 6 rate to park of $5 and then went to the studios which were still open for another hour and activated our annual passes. The following 6 visits parking was free.

I have to shoot this one down. Had a friend park her car there for 45 minutes and she got it towed. She had only went to the Walgreen's right down the street.