Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit | Page 217 | Inside Universal Forums

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I completely agree about the news coverage.

I completely disagree about there being no reason to tear the ride down. It's been nothing but a bad publicity generator for the resort on multiple occasions, and looks like a cheap Six Flags attraction.

And I completely agree with everything you just said!

Yes numerous other coasters have gotten stuck, but it's not very common, and normally it's not for hours. I remember when the Demon at Six Flags Great America got stuck upside down in a loop...talk about bad press! They almost tore that thing out after that, except for the fact that they were able to figure out the problem with the ride and fix it, and it never happened again.
In the case of the Rockit, it's not one problem- it's many. From train chassis design flaws, to wheel problems, to support column cracks, to different size trains having braking problems and causing accidents, to yesterday's incident....it's all adding up. The ride was never worth the initial $45 million Uni paid for it, and it's definitely something that I only foresee having more problems in the future. Better to get rid of it before it kills someone.

Eh...its a non-issue to me, partly because I know they've been minutes away from having to call the FD to evac a train on the lift several times before, but also because I know its just a fact of life with any major ride. Do your due diligence in public education about the safety of the ride, the safety systems, etc. etc. and move on. Disney has been unmoved by deaths on rides (granted, 99% of them were because the guest shouldn't have ridden in the first place), and Mission Space is still here, as are other rides. I won't get into the themeing/place making argument, but outside of the two "bumper car" incidents due to the heavier new trains, there's been nothing exceptional about ride breakdowns, simply ridiculously over the top, the sky is falling coverage from the idiots in the media.

I'm actually more concerned with riding Space Mountain than HRRR after this. Last time I rode Space Mountain a few weeks ago, I couldn't shake the thought of the story about how a doctor suffered major head trauma because someone dropped something from above them.

I'm actually more concerned with riding Space Mountain than HRRR after this. Last time I rode Space Mountain a few weeks ago, I couldn't shake the thought of the story about how a doctor suffered major head trauma because someone dropped something from above them.

What? :lol:

Sounds like an urban legend to me.

Well since my entire post was deleted...........I think that Comcast takes this down.......sooner rather than later.

Comcast didn't build HRRR, nor did they fund it. They wouldn't be throwing any money away.

Aside from the cost to remove it, the cost to replace it, the loss of capacity in the park, and the hit to guest satisfaction scores then yea, it's basically free to remove it.

Aside from the cost to remove it, the cost to replace it, the loss of capacity in the park, and the hit to guest satisfaction scores then yea, it's basically free to remove it.

Indeed! Even though the enthusiast community we live in doesn't particularly love it I assure the general public does.

:lol::lol::lol:

- - - Updated - - -

The ride is open in case you guys missed my tweets

I wonder if the media will report that it back up and running?

Damage done.:blank:

- - - Updated - - -

I think that Universal will replace it with Super Silly Fun Land and put a family coaster in its spot.:happy:

I really am the only one who really likes this coaster :lol: For me its probably the funnest coaster ride in the Universal Parks and has slowly climbed the ladder and is surpassing the Hulk as my favorite one on property.

I really am the only one who really likes this coaster :lol: For me its probably the funnest coaster ride in the Universal Parks and has slowly climbed the ladder and is surpassing the Hulk as my favorite one on property.

Don't make me hurt you Mike! :lol:

What? :lol:

Sounds like an urban legend to me.

I would have thought the same but here's the link from Orlando Sentinel http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2003-02-14/news/0302140371_1_space-mountain-romero-disney-world

Just a brief from it, which happened back in 1998 so hopefully a lot has changed since then (Although for some reason I don't think that much has):

In the cosmos-mimicking darkness of Space Mountain, an indoor roller coaster, he somehow received a severe bump on his head. When the ride ended, Romero was unconscious in his seat.
Since then, his doctors state in court files, he has endured partial paralysis of his left arm, hand and leg. He also suffers severe short-term memory loss, which means Romero, 42, can't practice his profession.

The general public loves Shrek. The general public loves Monsters Inc Laugh Floor.

You know what else I'm sure the general public loves to hear about? people being stuck on coasters for hours on end!

Rockit scores very well Skip, relax no need to take it personal just stating the info as is and thats all.

I completely agree about the news coverage.

I completely disagree about there being no reason to tear the ride down. It's been nothing but a bad publicity generator for the resort on multiple occasions, and looks like a cheap Six Flags attraction.

Ditto. Whether or not the bad publicity is justified, it's still there, and harming the entire resort. And it's not like it's just bad press with this ride. It's been plagued with many real problems from conception to date.

As much as I dislike this ride, it is popular with the GP. I stood outside the Studio Gates during HHN for a while waiting for my brother to walk from Springfield and bring me my FFP (somehow it got into his wallet the prior weekend and I was meeting him at the park that night). I was surprised at how many people (mostly teenagers) pointed it out and verbally stated their excitement for the ride and how, "it is their favorite roller coaster". I mean a lot of people where talking about it, maybe like 60 percent of the people walking by me said how cool it looked and is. And I doubt many people of that age group are privy to the bad press about it. Again, I don't like it and wouldn't mind in the least if it was gone. But I doubt it will be removed anytime soon.

As much as I dislike this ride, it is popular with the GP. I stood outside the Studio Gates during HHN for a while waiting for my brother to walk from Springfield and bring me my FFP (somehow it got into his wallet the prior weekend and I was meeting him at the park that night). I was surprised at how many people (mostly teenagers) pointed it out and verbally stated their excitement for the ride and how, "it is their favorite roller coaster". I mean a lot of people where talking about it, maybe like 60 percent of the people walking by me said how cool it looked and is. And I doubt many people of that age group are privy to the bad press about it. Again, I don't like it and wouldn't mind in the least if it was gone. But I doubt it will be removed anytime soon.

This. I have stated before, many on here may dislike where it is in the park and how it looks, but the GP love it. It gets them excited when they come into the park right away. Which is why there is no way Uni tears this down until they are able to increase capacity elsewhere in the park, fix their front entrance, get more outdoor/get me excited rides in the park, and have a suitable replacement for it.

Oh and honestly, this news story will fade away and I bet you people are lines up to ride it today. This SL does not phase me one bit, I will ride it again. My mom asked me about it and she said well don't ride it again when I told her I was on it a couple weeks ago. I told her, this SL does not surprise me, but I would ride it again in a heartbeat. It is a good coaster and if I got stuck, I really don't care. I am not scared of heights, so honestly it would not phase me one bit.

I think you would be surprised of how many people could care less, because most people that go on coasters knows this crap happens at other places too. Do you think those other places are tearing down their coasters because it got stuck?!?