Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Speaking of the music, probably the only nit pick complaint I can think of for this amazing ride is the slow crawl to the unloading area with nothing to look at. The first part of this tunnel of nothingness is accompanied with the majestic music which is gorgeous but I believe inappropriate for the ride, especially the way it has an ending cadence- an oddity for a theme park ride. Then the music ends and there's nothing but silence as you continue the slow crawl to the exit area. I feel like there should've been a different choice of music there, and not let it end so early. I'm a big believer in the power of musical scoring. Spiderman's scoring, for example, takes you all the way till you leave your ride vehicle, and this is one of the many unnoticed details of that ride that makes you leave with a certain kind of vibrant feeling.

This is another reason I was disappointed that this ride doesn't have separate onload and offload platforms. Aside from seeing other people get off, revealing their reactions to the ride and also removing the sense of uniqueness to your experience story-wise, it does leave the end of the experience as a bit of a loose end.

We were there around 5pm

Hopefully that means they were able to keep the queue open later in the evening!

This is another reason I was disappointed that this ride doesn't have separate onload and offload platforms. Aside from seeing other people get off, revealing their reactions to the ride and also removing the sense of uniqueness to your experience story-wise, it does leave the end of the experience as a bit of a loose end.

You would really think at this point all new rides (esp one this advanced) would have separate unload areas.

I'm pretty sure it's because they don't have both loading stations operational at the moment.

I'm pretty sure it's because they don't have both loading stations operational at the moment.

No, both loading stations are on seperate sides of the room and guests exit to one side while people board from another. Similar to the Hulk, you'll always see the group riding before you exit as you board. It doesn't bother me much, but that's what happens.

No, both loading stations are on seperate sides of the room and guests exit to one side while people board from another. Similar to the Hulk, you'll always see the group riding before you exit as you board. It doesn't bother me much, but that's what happens.

I think what Eckert meant was that with both stations available, trains won't stack for as long before unload. It won't fix any other problems, agreed, but it should fix that one.

I wonder if the software running the ride will place a theoretical train in the lineup if an actual train is unavailable to go and fill its space... because of a load delay of some kind.

I wonder if the software running the ride will place a theoretical train in the lineup if an actual train is unavailable to go and fill its space... because of a load delay of some kind.

Are you thinking that the ride is theorhetically running its software at max capacity and they hold the trains to run every other or something like that.

Edit: Or you are saying the ride is metered in a way that it only run at a certain cadence and if that is missed then you have to wait as if a train had gone. Interesting theory. But would make sense considering the extreme timing involved.

Last edited:
Edit: Or you are saying the ride is metered in a way that it only run at a certain cadence and if that is missed then you have to wait as if a train had gone. Interesting theory. But would make sense considering the extreme timing involved.

This. Of course, it would apply to other time specific scened rides too such as spidey and mummy. I was thinking a load might be delayed due to a physical impairment, thus the ride misses a slot. With a dual load, I would think there would be less of a chance for there being an empty slot.

Yeah. The think with spidey and transformers is since they are slow moving on a track in constant contact they dont really have to worry aboit collisions or the track being conncected at all times ect. In that night vision video there seems to be some kind of rail to the right of the track which im assuming is the power signal line for the motion ect but it seems interesting how its not continuous.

I would really love to look at the software that runs this ride. I just want to stand in the rafters and watch it run. Lol

Last edited:
Got to ride twice today. We checked in to the Portofino around 6:30a and were in the overflow outdoor queue by 7:05a. The wait sign said 90 minutes, but we got to the ride vehicle in 50 minutes.

The bank lobby is overwhelmingly beautiful. Jaw dropping, in fact. The queue was good and the security photos are quick. The physical sensations of the elevator ride are extremely well done.

Side note - I'm Shrek sized and had tried the test seat 10 days ago before the ride opened. The test seat lights were VERY tempermental. The first time I tried I didn't get a green light, but switched seats and got a quick flash of green, but mostly red. Obviously I was able to ride. There is a yellow piece of metal that protrudes out of the seatback in front of you that indicates if the restraint is closed far enough.

After we boarded, we moved 3 feet and then the ride stopped for about 10 minutes. We were then on our way , but the first ride was disappointing because the video wasn't in sync. We had several scenes were the ride vehicle was stopped 2-3 minutes before proceeding, but you got a pretty good sense of the ride.

When we got off they sent the whole train to child swap so we could ride again. Very nice of them to do that. The second ride was much better and we only had one scene with a 2 minute delay.

The spinning of the ride vehicle is more thrilling than I imagined. It really adds to the fun. There are a couple of delays in transitioning scenes that need to be addressed. Belatrix's curse in the first scene leaves you hanging too long before the drop and the last scene with Voldemort had us waiting too long before the launch.

The ride is a little shorter than I imagined, but it may not seem that way when everything is working as expected. My previous UOR ride ranking was Spider-Man, Hulk, FJ. Spider-Man stays at number one, but Gringotts takes second place.

I hit the big 40 today and have a great security photo with my wife and son with today's date. Great birthday present and a fun memory for years to come.

Side note - I'm Shrek sized and had tried the test seat 10 days ago before the ride opened. The test seat lights were VERY tempermental. The first time I tried I didn't get a green light, but switched seats and got a quick flash of green, but mostly red. Obviously I was able to ride. There is a yellow piece of metal that protrudes out of the seatback in front of you that indicates if the restraint is closed far enough.

I too am Shrek shaped and I'm worried I won't fit on the ride. I fit on Forbidden Journey last year but I hear Gringotts is a different kind of fit. I'm 5'10" and weigh 260(mostly wide shoulders and big belly. normal sized legs). Is anyone else roughly that size that has been able to ride?

Speaking of the music, probably the only nit pick complaint I can think of for this amazing ride is the slow crawl to the unloading area with nothing to look at.

I wish they would add a final goodbye for Blordak as you approach unload. The poor goblin helps save your life and then is never heard from again! ;-)

I too am Shrek shaped and I'm worried I won't fit on the ride. I fit on Forbidden Journey last year but I hear Gringotts is a different kind of fit. I'm 5'10" and weigh 260(mostly wide shoulders and big belly. normal sized legs). Is anyone else roughly that size that has been able to ride?

I don't want to give anyone false hope, but as I pointed out earlier I saw two pretty big dudes three trains apart get moved from the front row to the back row. The first time the entire front row switched with the back row. The other time it was just the larger rider who got out and and switched with a single rider in the third row. I haven't seen anyone else discuss it, but there appears to be a modified seat in the third row unless what I saw was a twisted game of Chinese fire drill. And, I'd be no good at "guess your weight" carnival games, but the two guys probably weighed a little more than 260.

Another drawback to seeing them unload is that you see the TM clapping first to get them to clap as well. This happens on the Mummy and too many other rides at UO (Transformers, Spidey, etc.), but you're not seeing it done as someone about to ride like you are here. I know why it's done, but it would be nice to see the applause happen organically and genuinely. It's like a sit-com with a laugh track.

With these 200-300 minute waits, is that more like in the middle of the day or is that happening first thing in the morning when it opens? And what time are they opening because reading the first post on this page it says 90 minute wait at 7am!?

I'm in line for DA now and they're already telling us Gringotts has a delayed opening today.

With these 200-300 minute waits, is that more like in the middle of the day or is that happening first thing in the morning when it opens? And what time are they opening because reading the first post on this page it says 90 minute wait at 7am!?

The long lines pretty much start right at the beginning of the day and continue throughout the day, really only seems to fluctuate minimally. They open at 7am for hotel guests then 8am for park guests, though it seems to be slightly before 8am. I was a normal guest one day and was in line for the ride at 7:40am.

I was at Universal for a few hours yesterday and the line averaged 150 min the entire time we were there. Attempted to ride Gringotts at 7pm and the TMs said the queue was already closed for the night! That's the earliest I've seen it close yet.

As far as the ride, I love it. The screens blend extremely well and I enjoy the many accelerations and decelerations throughout the ride. It really feels out of control. The queue is amazing too.

Last edited: