Diabetic at Universal | Inside Universal Forums

Diabetic at Universal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 20, 2014
My husband and I will be staying at Royal Pacfic in late Sept. I have tried to find information on sugar free or no sugar added food and drinks available at the parks. Universal has not been able to answer my questions. My husband is diabetic and we really need to know. Can anyone give me any info or contact info for someone at Universal? Thank you.

Susie

Susie, I am a diabetic as well and on an Insulin Pump and had some challenges calculating my insulin dosage in SpringField while I was first trying out the pump, they were great and even had the chef come out. Basically they could say what was in the items, but not really down to the Carb level. One thing to keep in mind is you may be more active than normal, so take that into consideration when calculating your nutritional needs. I know I have to cut back my basal insulin dose by about 40% on my park days just from the amount of walking. While I know this is different than what you asked, be aware that in the individual places they are very helpful! and at least in Springfield you can go after the Treehouse of horror inside Fast Food Blvd for a salad at least.

Susie, I am a diabetic as well and on an Insulin Pump and had some challenges calculating my insulin dosage in SpringField while I was first trying out the pump, they were great and even had the chef come out. Basically they could say what was in the items, but not really down to the Carb level. One thing to keep in mind is you may be more active than normal, so take that into consideration when calculating your nutritional needs. I know I have to cut back my basal insulin dose by about 40% on my park days just from the amount of walking. While I know this is different than what you asked, be aware that in the individual places they are very helpful! and at least in Springfield you can go after the Treehouse of horror inside Fast Food Blvd for a salad at least.

Out of curiosity, did they have carb counts for their drinks in Springfield when you were there? Last October my wife and I went and asked about the carb counts for one of the themed drinks, and they had no idea. We were both surprised because we had asked for a carb count on the Butterbeer earlier and they did have that.

This is a great example why this site is a must for anyone traveling to Orlando for a vacation.

Out of curiosity, did they have carb counts for their drinks in Springfield when you were there? Last October my wife and I went and asked about the carb counts for one of the themed drinks, and they had no idea. We were both surprised because we had asked for a carb count on the Butterbeer earlier and they did have that.

I had a Buzz which is a diet drink in Springfield but I based my carb count for the food of similar items from national chains that had nutrition information on their website (had a Krusty Burger and fries). I was conservative with the carb count and correcting about 45 minutes later based off my bg.

Someone had the Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice tested and reported the results:

"WalletPop dispatched someone to the theme park to collect a sample of the popular drink and sent it to Kappa Laboratories in Miami, where it was analyzed so we could get down to the bottom of this nutritional conundrum.

Here's what Kappa found in a 14-ounce serving (of Butterbeer):

Calories: 200
Fat: 3.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 42
Sugar: 29 grams
Protein: 0"

"But stack up Butterbeer next to a kid's size McDonald's shake and it's not even a fair fight. The McDonald's shake has more than double the calories, triple the fat and double the sugar."

"And for those of you who have pounded Pumpkin Juice, here's the score on that per 8-ounces (double that if you drink one of the 16-ounce containers, which unlike Butterbeer are labeled with nutrition facts):

Calories: 100
Total fat: 0 grams
Carbs: 24 grams
Sugars: 24 grams
Protein: 0 grams"

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/08/25/harry-potter-butterbeer-mystery-solved-we-tested-it/

This is a great example why this site is a must for anyone traveling to Orlando for a vacation.

I completely agree, this site had brought so much joy and excitement as I can keep up with all the changes happening at my favorite parks, but also share with a great community. I am just glad to be able to share some of my experiences.

I first went to Universal Orlando in late 1990 and have been an annual passholder since 1999 (during the previews for Islands when you had to have an annual pass to get in). Living a couple hours away keeps me from going as often as I want, but this site keeps me connected and in the know. :)