NBA City Closed | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

NBA City Closed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a giant building in a bad location. CityWalk needs a real seafood restaurant. Bubba Bumps is OK, but not great seafood. Maybe something to compete with Todd English's BlueZoo like Cat Cora's Ocean that is in the Sentosa Resort in Singapore.

ocean-restaurant-by-cat-cora.jpg

Just seen this on rajah.com so take it with the usual pinch of salt.

"There is renewed buzz regarding WWE constructing a physical Hall of Fame building in Orlando, Florida.

Universal Studios in Orlando announced this week that NBA City at Universal City Walk is shutting down after they chose to not renew the NBA's lease a few months ago. NBA City will be closing down in August and there are already plans underway to add some new attractions to City Walk.

According to theme park website BehindTheThrills.com, Universal is looking to add a Cheesecake Factory restaurant, a restaurant with a "movie set" theme as well as a WWE Hall of Fame themed restaurant.

With WWE establishing such a strong presence in the Orlando area with the Performance Center and Full Sail University serving as the home of NXT, it should be interesting to see if this report pans out.

Just seen this on rajah.com so take it with the usual pinch of salt.

"There is renewed buzz regarding WWE constructing a physical Hall of Fame building in Orlando, Florida.

Universal Studios in Orlando announced this week that NBA City at Universal City Walk is shutting down after they chose to not renew the NBA's lease a few months ago. NBA City will be closing down in August and there are already plans underway to add some new attractions to City Walk.

According to theme park website BehindTheThrills.com, Universal is looking to add a Cheesecake Factory restaurant, a restaurant with a "movie set" theme as well as a WWE Hall of Fame themed restaurant.

With WWE establishing such a strong presence in the Orlando area with the Performance Center and Full Sail University serving as the home of NXT, it should be interesting to see if this report pans out.

I think all they're doing is sourcing BehindTheThrills.com which is just bringing up past rumors and speculation on what could possibly replace NBA City. I wouldn't read too much into it at all.

WWE won't agree until TNA stops filming at the soundstages. Universal gets tax breaks for supporting Film in Florida. So until TNA shuts down or stops filming at Universal (the former more likely), WWE won't be going there.

Universal/Comcast find them an attractive tenant because their programming is on Comcast networks. Synergy and whatever.
What they could do is Film their NXT shows there instead of Fullsail university, to replace TNA (which, TNA was dropped from Destination America, and currently has NO tv deal. So they won't be worrying about that anyways)

Reactions: SeventyOne
What they could do is Film their NXT shows there instead of Fullsail university, to replace TNA (which, TNA was dropped from Destination America, and currently has NO tv deal. So they won't be worrying about that anyways)

TNA wasn't dropped by Destination America.

Also, I doubt they'd move NXT out of Full Sail. They have an agreement with them, and that's where the performance center is

TNA wasn't dropped by Destination America.

Also, I doubt they'd move NXT out of Full Sail. They have an agreement with them, and that's where the performance center is

RUMOR: Destination America Cancels TNA Programming? - TNAInsider.com

I know its a rumor, and has supposedly been dismissed by TNA, Destination America purchasing Ring Of Honor and using them in a lead-in type role towards TNA is not good news.

And the performance center is not at Fullsail. They film their events there. But HHH has already mentioned touring around the country (which they've been doing more)....so really that agreement isnt that prevalent.

And the performance center is not at Fullsail. They film their events there. But HHH has already mentioned touring around the country (which they've been doing more)....so really that agreement isnt that prevalent.

The Performance Center is still tied to Full Sail. I seriously doubt you see NXT move to UOR.

WWE won't agree until TNA stops filming at the soundstages. Universal gets tax breaks for supporting Film in Florida. So until TNA shuts down or stops filming at Universal (the former more likely), WWE won't be going there.

Universal/Comcast find them an attractive tenant because their programming is on Comcast networks. Synergy and whatever.

NXT also gets FiF credit, for what that would be worth.

I had this idea a few days ago, as a replacement for NBA: an escape room type thing. Dig was really popular, and I could see that as a spot where several different experiences would fit, and of course, for an additional fee.

Working on this as my own concept for a project, but here's what I envision:

Small rustic art nouveau district of sorts that mirrors PoE's mix 'n' match architecture style, but is meant to feel more like PoE's city area as opposed to just its 'Main Street'. Multiple small shops, one for blown glass and character-themed artisanal valuables, one for unique snacks and confectioneries curated by Confisco (so like his city branch), one for a wine cellar offering a large assortment alongside paired snacks and cheeses, and lastly a small alleyway that leads to a door to a 'hidden' Club 33 style bar on the second floor that is private except on certain days of the month (e.g. every other Friday night for TMs and a plus one, every Saturday/Sunday night for AP holders) and has exclusive mixed drinks with custom cups a la Grog Grotto. Manicured park in front featuring string lights and 6 food trucks parked throughout it each hosting popular foods from every continent.

And this would be part of PoE expansion that also adds an iconic flat ride and a quick service eatery to the waterfront overlooking the IOA lagoon.

Reactions: grizzlybarely
Status
Not open for further replies.