New IOA Local Artists Shop | Inside Universal Forums

New IOA Local Artists Shop

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 10, 2012
How cool is this? I am so surprised and proud of Universal for supporting local artists and artisans like this!

You can see lots of pictures on their Facebook page. This used to be a magic show/shop in Lost Continent.

localARTicles Boutique | Facebook

I haven't had a chance to visit yet (it literally just opened), but I heard about it from one of the artists that I randomly was talking to at a bar last night. Then I heard about it again today when a local soap vendor I buy from posted about her products now being carried at IOA. Very nice.

Reactions: violarum
I am so confused as to where this building is. Perhaps way over to the right of sinbad behind the fake tent where they (used to) smash pennies with symbols?

I am so confused as to where this building is. Perhaps way over to the right of sinbad behind the fake tent where they (used to) smash pennies with symbols?

It's the building on the right (as you walk from LC to HP) that's halfway into the new Hogsmeade Station area. We used to wonder about them removing the sign that stuck out of the side when they put one of those rock obelisk things practically on top of it.

Reactions: Legolas813
Isn't this where they were just recently doing TV previews? Does that removal make the new one in Gardens of Allah the only preview center?

It's the building on the right (as you walk from LC to HP) that's halfway into the new Hogsmeade Station area. We used to wonder about them removing the sign that stuck out of the side when they put one of those rock obelisk things practically on top of it.

Oh, the building with the dome? I've been in there years ago but didn't recognize it with all the open floor space. It's been closed, off and on for the longest time as I recall.

Thanks!

So does this mean the magic shows are out, and at both parks? I wouldn't be sad to see them go. While the show isn't that bad it's way too heavy of a sales pitch.

So does this mean the magic shows are out, and at both parks? I wouldn't be sad to see them go. While the show isn't that bad it's way too heavy of a sales pitch.

Yeah, I saw US magic pitch in the street a few years ago and then walked in and quickly figured out what was up and walked out. Didn't stay for the QVC "show".

If I had to pick one location of the "magic show" to get rid of, I'd rather lose the one in USF than the one in IoA, as it fits in better with the whole "mysterious" motif of Lost Continent, but it's really not a huge loss anyway, in my opinion.

How long was there a magic show in that building in the LC? I do not recall it at all. Any old guard here recall a timeline?

The only reason I particularly remember the building was that it's original shop back in 1999 at which time I purchased a large chambered nautilus shell in there.

The show was there for as long as I can remember. It was not really advertised. They randomly opened the doors and let in a small group of passerbys every so often.

I thought it was actually pretty fun. I did not know it used to be another shop.

Reactions: greendude33
I heard the local artists get about 35% of the sale, which is pretty low, but I guess you can't beat the location.

I did not know it used to be another shop.

So, all the time I thought the red curtains meant it was closed and unused and yet they meant there was a magic sales room inside, despite no sign at all. Hmmm.

shopsofwonder_zpszcxt5dkf.jpg

I guess none of you ever wondered why the original sign didn't sync up with what was being sold. All of those windows were originally sparkling with glass shelves and upscale decorative items. Wild how stuff burns in my brain from two visits in 1999.

Reactions: Cole and Legolas813
The OG LC had a ton of worthless shops that sold incredibly expensive things that nobody wanted or could afford. "Yes I'd like to buy a gigantic sword please"

I worked at BGT's Egypt a long long time ago and believe it or not, overseas tourists would occasionally spend thousands of dollars on huge expensive items in that gift shop.

Reactions: Cole and SeventyOne