MSHI Expansion? | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The last few posts are hitting the nail on the head in regards to the comic design. It's not that the comic looks aren't timeless, it's that the looks used in the majority of MSHI are from the mid-late 90s. That's a time that is generally not looked upon favorably. Even old Spider-Man's designs came from the mid-90s cartoon and not the comics. The Spider-Man ride update is a great balance between iconic looks, modern comics, and realism.

Personally, I would have liked it if everything was Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko-styled, like back in the 60s of Marvel. Those are the only Marvel looks that I would consider timeless. As for characters after that? Eh...don't include them I guess.
I agree with much of what you said except for Steve Ditko. In my opinion he was one of the worst artists ever working at Marvel. His style was too primitive, like Bill Everett. Give me Kirby, Steranko, Romita, Adams, & the Buscema's. Some great talent. And what was great in the 60's and 70's was that not only did you have timeless artwork, but the stories were long & involved. It probably took four or five times longer to read a 60's or 70's book than the present almost art only comics. :)

I agree with much of what you said except for Steve Ditko. In my opinion he was one of the worst artists ever working at Marvel. His style was too primitive, like Bill Everett. Give me Kirby, Steranko, Romita, Adams, & the Buscema's. Some great talent. And what was great in the 60's and 70's was that not only did you have timeless artwork, but the stories were long & involved. It probably took four or five times longer to read a 60's or 70's book than the present almost art only comics. :)

Oh I agree, Ditko can't compare to any of the artists you listed, I just threw him a bone because he's responsible for the looks of every major Spider-Man character. Kirby is my favorite from that time period, no contest. I consider the others you listed as "second-wave" Marvel artists, as most hopped on the titles after Kirby split for DC. Romita's Spider-Man is undoubtedly the defining Spider-Man, ditto with Buscema and the Hulk. I wouldn't mind if the whole island was Pre-1980 art at all.

Oh I agree, Ditko can't compare to any of the artists you listed, I just threw him a bone because he's responsible for the looks of every major Spider-Man character. Kirby is my favorite from that time period, no contest. I consider the others you listed as "second-wave" Marvel artists, as most hopped on the titles after Kirby split for DC. Romita's Spider-Man is undoubtedly the defining Spider-Man, ditto with Buscema and the Hulk. I wouldn't mind if the whole island was Pre-1980 art at all.
:thumbsup: YES!!!.....and the amount of work Kirby was doing is absolutely amazing. He must have had more than 24 hours in a day. And to look back that Stan Lee and his pen name Larry Lieber(to look like there were more writers on staff) wrote the amount of text & dialogue he did is almost unbelievable. What talent those two had!

Last edited:
Reactions: SweeneysGalMegz
I vote for this version

Lou_ferrigno_hulk_00071.jpg

Man I guess I really am in the minority about liking the 90s vibe in the area! I don't read comics, but I'm a fan of Marvel and its characters, and the way they're represented in MSHI is my favorite representation of the characters. And I love all the Marvel Cinenatic Universe movies too. So while I'd be sad to see some of it phased out, I'm excited to see how they modernize the land

Man I guess I really am in the minority about liking the 90s vibe in the area! I don't read comics, but I'm a fan of Marvel and its characters, and the way they're represented in MSHI is my favorite representation of the characters. And I love all the Marvel Cinenatic Universe movies too. So while I'd be sad to see some of it phased out, I'm excited to see how they modernize the land

I'm as big of a Marvel fanboy as there is, but it's time to update the area. It doesn't have to be MCU-centric, but update the look. I'm glad Hulk is first because that ride needs it the most.

Reactions: RevFreako
There are tropes and design choices in the land that make it feel 90s; giant character cut outs, flatter textures, and pavement choice. It's very "hey let's theme this but not invest in time or money to do it all the way".

I can see the land updating to even keep the comic look but just flesh it out more.

So what is the timeline for Hulk now? First refurbish the queue etc begfinning in September. Then have it open again for the Holidays and then close it again in January for the track refurbishment?
Also, is it true the launch will change to LSM or LIM?

So what is the timeline for Hulk now? First refurbish the queue etc begfinning in September. Then have it open again for the Holidays and then close it again in January for the track refurbishment?
Also, is it true the launch will change to LSM or LIM?

I honestly have no idea what is happening which time. By the permits it seems like queue work is first though

eh, just figured its a big event for them and they would want almost everything up and running resort wide.

If HHN happened in IoA, maybe. As-is, HHN time is still off-peak/slow season during normal operations. The work, and there's a good amount, had to be done at some point. The periods they chose, after summer and before Christmas and after Christmas and before the summer, are really the best choices.

Reactions: SeventyOne
My understanding is B&M and Universal have a somewhat tense relationship (or have had in the past), with management ignoring B&M's maintenance protocols in favor of their own, which they didn't like. I understand they are very picky about the upkeep of their rides and their nearly flawless record of safety and reliability.

I would guess they have had some sort of new breakthrough in their relationship with the modifications coming to Hulk as well as purchasing a new flyer for USJ.

I wonder if the Hulk refurb was all Universal's idea. Or if B&M was like, "It's been 16 years. It's time to bring your coaster in for service."