Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 108 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I do! I do! Did you take others? Do you have a link to see them on?

No other pics for now, really was there for something big and was disappointed to only see the backdrop painting and the jungle going in

Once they get all the planting in I doubt we will be able to see much from the perch of the ride track and entrance but I will see what I can see next week. Weather looks real good so maybe I can make a couple of trips up

Something big? Like what?

Maybe an RV but it is too soon for that, hope there is still a view once they run them on the outer track.

You said they ran into a problem on the first run? I saw the mockup of the RV run and then they tore down the outer end of the turn like it was too tight, still has not been rebuilt but lots of conduit and other work on the tip of the turn. Don't know if you meant the real RV or the mockup was run on the track.

I don't do blue sky I just love theme park construction, it is one of a kind for the most part.

Last edited:
You said they ran into a problem on the first run? I saw the mockup of the RV run and then they tore down the outer end of the turn like it was too tight, still has not been rebuilt but lots of conduit and other work on the tip of the turn. Don't know if you meant the real RV or the mockup was run on the track.

You saw a real RV outdoors? How long ago. What time of day?

And you say the curve of the ride track that is closest to the guest walkway is torn up right this second? I haven't heard of any issues with that part.

I was under the unclarified impression that all of the RVs have been themed to some extent at this point in time.

I don't see any torn up track in this picture Briman snapped yesterday or the day before.
img_4933-jpg.1451

Last edited:
I saw the mockup of the RV (wooden) and it is the inside of the turn that you have in your picture that was built and now is torn down to the ground again. Looked like it would not make it around the turn without hitting on the inside.

This was before the doors were installed. The mockup was sitting by the entrance first thing in the morning and later on they were pushing it around the track to see what cleared.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon84
I love the use of foliage. The bamboo like stalks and the bare decaying trees fit the mood of the land perfectly!

So do you all think that the current path that guests take when they walk past the Skull Island construction will end up being themed as well to fit the land. After looking at the concept art for Skull Island it seems that the ground will be paved to look like some sort of ancient stone pattern of some sort.I would be suprised if they left the pathway where guests walk now paved the way it is currently to fit Jurassic park. Also is the vegitation on the side of the guest pathway opposite to the side with the construction walls going to receive any theming to fit Skull Island such as small rock formations or some spikes with skulls? I can't help but wonder
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27
Similar to a pull test for coasters? Just to check clearing etc?

Yes. The invisible "tunnel" that a ride vehicle takes thrugh physical space is the "envelope". The test is to ensure there is no contact with any physical objects around the ride in a worst-case scenario (i.e. the tallest person in the world standing up and stretching out his arms).

It seems simple enough, but you'd be surprised -- the eyes play tricks on you when trying to judge distance. I was in the building for the envelope testing on Mummy and the RV's envelope rig hit a couple of the painted flats.

Yes. The invisible "tunnel" that a ride vehicle takes thrugh physical space is the "envelope". The test is to ensure there is no contact with any physical objects around the ride in a worst-case scenario (i.e. the tallest person in the world standing up and stretching out his arms).

It seems simple enough, but you'd be surprised -- the eyes play tricks on you when trying to judge distance. I was in the building for the envelope testing on Mummy and the RV's envelope rig hit a couple of the painted flats.
Good points. in reference to that, I recall reading that when they did the Media day run for 7 Dwarfs Coaster, one of the media reps came close to having her raised hands hit the top of one of the tunnels as the car went through. Someone had measured wrong. They shut down the ride for about a month while they redid the entrance tunnel.

Good points. in reference to that, I recall reading that when they did the Media day run for 7 Dwarfs Coaster, one of the media reps came close to having her raised hands hit the top of one of the tunnels as the car went through. Someone had measured wrong. They shut down the ride for about a month while they redid the entrance tunnel.

I thought it didn't pass the test, but they still did the media event and told everyone not to raise their hands? Either way, they did the test way too close to opening so it is good that Kong did their test a long time ago.

I thought it didn't pass the test, but they still did the media event and told everyone not to raise their hands? Either way, they did the test way too close to opening so it is good that Kong did their test a long time ago.
:lol: Well, I don't know which of the two stories is the actual one, that's the one I read on one of the Disney oriented sites, but it's amazing that it was measured incorrectly in the first place. It's not like a measuring tape is rocket science. I would think a tunnel entrance is pretty simple......I remember when riding the Beast at King's Island it used to feel that you would be decapitated :violin:when you hit the tunnel, but evidently they measured that one right. :)

Last edited:
Well well, I learned as recently as three thursdays ago of yet another effect that will happen on this attraction. It sounds potentially great and possibly very unnerving and upsetting to some guests. I sure hope it works well despite the fact that I would never have thought of it. Brilliant idea.

Of course I am not going to say what it is. I am just further supporting the idea that they are putting the boots to this attraction beyond what any of us expect.