Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tidal Wave Officially Closes

So, crazy rumor someone had brought up at PixelsAtThePark was that Shoot The Rapids from Cedar Point would be replacing Tidal Wave. Only thing backing this was the coincidence that Tidal Wave recently closed and CP has been in the process of removing STR. Interesting, but I don't want a ride that had a flipped boat that injured 13 riders. Rumors...

I can't understand the sense that makes.

Never did have the chance to ride this but it is rather unexpected. I don't have much knowledge on the Busch property so I can't say much, however...

Expecting anything from Busch Gardens Tampa (along the lines of outside roller coasters) is a teeny stretch. I can't say it's out of range but this park is a coaster/conservationist park. Like Universal and Disney have their own specific niche, BGT does as well. I love BGT for what it is. I don't expect a high quality, well rounded themed environment. Why? You're supposed to be in the wild experiencing it first hand. The coasters are superb, Cobra's curse is innovative, and the animals are always impressive. Let BGT be what it is and enjoy it for that.

Taking this out leaves a hole in BGT's ride lineup. They're already pretty good with coasters(minus an airtime machine and a solid woodie), but they're missing a dark ride, and taking out a family-esque water ride is a step backwards to me. I hope to see another water ride added in the near future.

If I were given a blank check for Busch Gardens Tampa, here's what I would do:
2017: S&S Screamin' Swing in Congo (Swahili Swinger)
2018: Zagora Café (Morocco) Overhaul; Sesame Street Safari of Fun Zamperla Rockin' Tug
2019: Tidal Wave replacement (Original Location)
2020: Adventure Island water coaster
2021: Son of Gwazi (RMC Refurb; steel track, inversions)

Perhaps they'll opt for a Mack mega splash or something, have that for 2017, then a giga for 2018. On the other hand, if in 2018 Seaworld is getting another major, would they also let Busch get a major one? Then, why not? Good combo ticket promotion.

If I were given a blank check for Busch Gardens Tampa, here's what I would do:
2017: S&S Screamin' Swing in Congo (Swahili Swinger)
2018: Zagora Café (Morocco) Overhaul; Sesame Street Safari of Fun Zamperla Rockin' Tug
2019: Tidal Wave replacement (Original Location)
2020: Adventure Island water coaster
2021: Son of Gwazi (RMC Refurb; steel track, inversions)
An RMC retrack needs to happen sooner than later if they are going to do it imo. They can't leave that thing just sitting there for 4-5 more years.

An RMC retrack needs to happen sooner than later if they are going to do it imo. They can't leave that thing just sitting there for 4-5 more years.
Don't think there is any chance of that, heard wood of Gwazi is being used for other projects. Granted, a retrack might get rid of a lot of the wood to begin with, but I think they have bigger plans for that whole area.

The entire front area of Busch could do with a massive make over though. Takes for ever to get in Busch and get to a ride. To the right you have Cheetah first, and to the left (aside Sesame Street) it is nothing until Shiekra.

Shoot the Rapids is a garbage fire that never worked correctly and nearly killed people.
That's for sure. They(CP)had trouble with that from day one. Never made sense to me though, how you can't get a ride right that was almost a duplicate of the same chute rides they were building back in 1910 without any issues.

Last edited:
That's for sure. They had trouble with that from day one. Never made sense to me though, how you can't get a ride right that was almost a duplicate of the same chute rides they were building back in 1910 without any issues.
Since space should be adequate, an indoor jungle dark boat ride would be awesome. My worry however, is that Seaworld really is bad at maintance beyond the essential,

Yup, so much wasted land.
Think they could fly some of that underused land over to Universal? I'm sure they could find something to do with it. This is where Star Trek as an IP would come in handy. Captain to Scotty; "Beam it up. Large parcel of land to coordinates 45 -17 degrees ", "But Captain, me thinks the transporter will explode with a load that heavy" :lol:

I think something that was discussed on a BGT future thread was the question "How much land can be developed, without getting rid of the garden charm/foliage". The Bird Gardens area shouldn't be scrapped for a coaster, but now with Gwazi gone, from the front of the park heading to ShieKra, there is nothing to do.

BGT is a coaster park with slightly better theming than Six Flags. If you walk though the gates of BGT expecting something similar to MK or USF, you haven't done your research.

While this is true in recent times and I am not disagreeing that this is what Tampa's park has become(guest service and guest friendly being the lowest of the main FL parks) Busch Gardens should be holding themselves at a higher themed standard and ride variety than six flags. I hope with their new CEO that he can bring them closer to the level of Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, which have more of a variety of attractions than current Sea World owned park rosters have and sometimes a deeper level of theming.

For example, ask six flags how their business model of 90 percent coasters works.

Being the "Thrill" and animal park works, but you still need a variety of rides with various height requirements, because families spend money. The bigger and more diverse a family can visit, the more money they spend.

While this is true in recent times and I am not disagreeing that this is what Tampa's park has become(guest service and guest friendly being the lowest of the main FL parks) Busch Gardens should be holding themselves at a higher themed standard and ride variety than six flags. I hope with their new CEO that he can bring them closer to the level of Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, which have more of a variety of attractions than current Sea World owned park rosters have and sometimes a deeper level of theming.

For example, ask six flags how their business model of 90 percent coasters works.

Being the "Thrill" and animal park works, but you still need a variety of rides with various height requirements, because families spend money. The bigger and more diverse a family can visit, the more money they spend.
I'm not arguing that point, but BGT doesn't seem to be aiming for that audience over the last 10+ years or so.

I'm not arguing that point, but BGT doesn't seem to be aiming for that audience over the last 10+ years or so.
And this becomes a problem. While the park excels with thrill rides, it really does need more that families can experience together, which is why I see the removal of Tidal Wave being a big step backwards.

2018 Add a new water ride.
2019 Add a gigacoaster.
2021 Add a family dark ride.
2022 Add a wing rider coaster.
2024 Add a shooter style dark ride.

Bam! With these moves BGT just made families and thrill seekers alike happy. (Maybe I should run the parks lol)