MSHI Expansion? | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To me, i'm wondering if BH6 is dealing with the same issue, but with a Full M&G; it makes me curious on what they can use with that IP.

Was never a fan, but it's my understanding the New Mutants who were in BH6 the comic were cut from BH6 the movie. WDW could do a meet & greet with all of them--I just imagine the demand isn't there to justify cost of costumes and actors. We only got Joy and Sadness from IO as well. Two characters seems to be the rule.

Either way, that 60 mile radius deal kills any plans.

Eh ... For $400/hour, I could make a compelling argument the Marvel Universe clause doesn't apply to non-IoA characters--and I'd have to re-read, but I think you could also turn the language around and say it doesn't apply to theme parks (that would be a harder argument). Of course, for the same money I could make the opposite argument. Until both sides pony up for lawyers and send this to court, I don't think it's clear-cut either way.

Eh ... For $400/hour, I could make a compelling argument the Marvel Universe clause doesn't apply to non-IoA characters--and I'd have to re-read, but I think you could also turn the language around and say it doesn't apply to theme parks (that would be a harder argument). Of course, for the same money I could make the opposite argument. Until both sides pony up for lawyers and send this to court, I don't think it's clear-cut either way.
It really just isn't worth it for either company to fight. Disney has no real room to put Marvel into their parks and they don't have the budget to build anything anyways. Along with that they get free advertisement for their movies.

Universal gets to keep a hugely popular IP and take in tons of money also. Win/win got both as is.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Here's the gist:

To the extent and in the territories that MCA has exclusive theme park rights, such shall not prohibit (except for the limitations described below) Marvel from itself developing or licensing its planned Retail concept which may include interactive elements as a major or minor element (presently intended to be called “The Marvel Action Universe” and referred to as such herein, but which may also be called “The Marvel Universe” or another name chosen by Marvel). The Marvel Action Universe will consist, inter alia, of the sale of comic books, trading cards, software, licensed or Marvel produced merchandise, the use of electronic games and/or pinballs or other coin operated games, and may include one or more virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes. The following restrictions shall apply to The Marvel Action Universe (or elements thereof whether owned or licensed by Marvel).

a. Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

i. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

ii. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

iii. Within the ADI market of the city containing a Universal Theme Park (even to the extent such ADI exceeds a 60 mile radius) there shall not be a Marvel themed simulator ride.

b. Restrictions as to elements of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

i. Within 300 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, no The Marvel Action Universe shall contain more than one simulator, nor shall such simulator hold more than 20 people. Motion based or virtual reality attractions which are coin operated and hold no more than 4 people shall not be deemed a “simulator” subject to the above restriction. Any such rides which are interconnected so as to create a simultaneous experience among multiple units exceeding an aggregate of 4 people shall be deemed simulator rides and the number of people in such interconnected rides shall be counted toward the 20 person limit above.

c. Restrictions as to affiliations or marketing of The Marvel Action Universe or elements thereof, in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

i. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within any theme park, nor marketed in conjunction with any theme park. For purposes of these restrictions, an area of 10 acres or less will not be deemed a theme park. An area in excess of 10 acres may or may not be deemed a theme park based on its overall characteristics.

ii. No The Marvel Action Universe will be marketed so as to infer or imply that such THE MARVEL ACTION UNIVERSE or one of its components (x) constitutes a theme park or (y) is a component of a theme park.

iii. No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).

d. Pre-Existing Conditions in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

However per the shrinkage rule...it could be argued that Disney can use such and such as Universal did not use character in park within the two years of opening but the same time another clause (bolded) states that even if Universal isn't using it, characters can't be used in 300 miles even by meet and greets. Universal can't use any new characters made after the contract however at the same time no one else can either in 300 mile radius.

Universal Theme Park (Orlando) and an exclusive world-wide option to utilize the Marvel characters in additional THE MARVEL UNIVERSES in any other Universal Theme Parks, which initial option must be exercised during the two year period beginning on the date of the opening of THE MARVEL UNIVERSE in the Universal Theme Park (Orlando). The present inventory of the Marvel characters is set forth in the schedule to be attached or provided by Marvel promptly after execution hereof, plus any characters developed or acquired or licensed in the future by Marvel which (x) are marketed under the Marvel “Banner” or (y) were previously marketed under the Marvel “Banner” during the term hereof and are subsequently marketed under the “Banner” of a Marvel Related Company (defined below). Any characters which are licensed to Marvel by third parties subject to terms which require Marvel to pay a license fee based on revenues or which do not permit sublicensing may be excluded, at Marvel’s option, in the foregoing grant.

a. After such 2 year period, MCA’s exclusive rights will be subject to “shrinkage” or “expansion” as follows:

1. If no action is taken by MCA, such exclusivity shall be limited as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

ii. West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

iv. East or West of The Mississippi - The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

(a)
If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buys

of television, within printed materials such as brochures, or by print advertisements in periodicals directed to readers more than 300 miles from Orlando; and with regard to any of the foregoing permitted marketing, if the marketing is for a group of theme parks located both East and West of The Mississippi, the marketing shall make abundantly clear that the character only appears in the parks West of The Mississippi and shall not be subject to confusion on such point (such as would occur by visual inclusion of the character in a generic, multipark advertisement subject to a small print explanation of the parks where the character is present).

(b) If the particular character is not used by MCA, such character will not be advertised or promoted by means of (x) spot television buys, billboards, personal appearances, or print advertisements which are (y) viewed, located or primarily directed to persons within 300 miles of Orlando. In other words, regional (i.e. covering a multi-state geographic region) or national television or print media buys, or brochures would not be prohibited within such 300 mile radius.

2. Within 2 years after opening of THE MARVEL UNIVERSE in Orlando, MCA may retain its worldwide exclusivity for up to 5 additional years by designating another location where it intends to develop THE MARVEL UNIVERSE as part of a theme park, and by paying an option fee of $*** per year. Provided such second theme park opens within such 5 year period, MCA shall maintain worldwide exclusivity for an additional two year period after such opening, and thereafter its rights will be subject to the “shrinkage” or “expansion” concept described above (in the manner described below).

Interesting side note: Technically Universal could build a marvel themed hotel based on the deal that doesn't fall under shrinkage rules.

Throughout THE SECOND GATE, stores will carry a wide range of Marvel produced or licensed products and artwork, Marvel comic books, Fleer trading cards (or cards of such other licensee as may be designated by Marvel), and toys (primarily action figures) manufactured by Toy Biz, Inc. (or such other Marvel licensee as may be designated by Marvel). Additionally, within or adjacent to THE MARVEL UNIVERSE there would be significant retail space dedicated to Marvel publications, software, products, and cards produced or licensed by Marvel. It is anticipated that this exposure to a highly motivated public who have experienced THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, combined with the underlying popularity of the Marvel properties, will result in a level of sale of Marvel manufactured and licensed products, such as would make THE SECOND GATE an extremely lucrative outlet for its properties.

Within THE SECOND GATE, a minimum of 10,000 square feet of retail space will be devoted to items licensed or manufactured by Marvel or its related companies

including a minimum of 5,000 square feet of retail space in stores themed around MARVEL properties and devoted virtually exclusively (allowing for minor exceptions such as film, etc., but not competing characters) to the sale of MARVEL items.

MCA will give serious consideration to placing such Marvel-oriented stores at or adjacent to the exit of the major attractions within THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, consistent with its reasonable judgment as to traffic flow, planning considerations and customer acceptance.

The various Marvel properties and merchandise will also be used throughout the destination resort including within the hotels (if operated by MCA or an MCA Corporately Related Company; or if operated by a third party MCA will encourage such use), and Marvel theming and merchandise will be featured in any airport stores operated by MCA in Los Angeles or Orlando. Uses of Marvel theming in MCA operated stores other than within the resort property or within the aforesaid MCA operated airport stores will require specific Marvel approval

Reactions: Macfr3ak
However per the shrinkage rule...it could be argued that Disney can use such and such as Universal did not use character in park within the two years of opening but the same time another clause (bolded) states that even if Universal isn't using it, characters can't be used in 300 miles even by meet and greets. Universal can't use any new characters made after the contract however at the same time no one else can either in 300 mile radius.

The shrinkage rule is also tied to the family rule though. Almost every character used in MSHI is linked to most of the unused characters via the family rule that helps maintain Universal's rights over them regardless if they present.

Yup, as long as Hulk is there, they have rights to all Avengers characters and villains. Storm force gives them all of X-Men. Doom gives them Fantastic Four. The contract also gives them rights to future characters in the families.

The only gray area IMO is that addendum that lists the characters. That could very well spell out the rules. But I've never seen that posted anywhere.

Shrinkage rule... Heheh heheh heheh.

I really wish that instead of raking through this contract, looking for funny language, loopholes, superhero families, universes, alternate universes, illegitimate superhero kids, sidekicks, cameos, etc, etc, etc, that we can just agree that one park has Marvel, and it's not Disney, and they're not giving it up, and Disney doesn't have a lot of interest in incorporating it into their Florida parks beyond gift shops.

No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney - :ears: thats is pretty freaking straight forward lol

Universal Orlando Resort has exclusive rights to use any Marvel property within 60 miles of the resort. - :saywhat:
hmmm

GREAT ARTICLE - Can't thank you enough for writing it guys!