Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Trolls

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
I guess since Comcast is buying out Dreamworks and this may be a property in the park there should be a thread about it. By April 2013, DreamWorks Animation had acquired the intellectual property for the Trolls franchise from the Dam Family and Dam Things. Having "big plans for the franchise," DreamWorks Animation became the exclusive worldwide licensor of the merchandise rights, except for Scandinavia, where Dam Things remains the licensor

Timberlake serves as an executive producer for the film's music, and released the original song "Can't Stop the Feeling" on May 6, 2016. He also confirmed that Ariana Grande and Gwen Stefani will contribute to the soundtrack.

Voice Actors for the film:
Anna Kendrick as Princess Poppy
Justin Timberlake as Branch
Gwen Stefani as DJ Suki
James Corden as Biggie
Russell Brand as Creek
Icona Pop as Fashionistas
Ron Funches as Cooper
Kunal Nayyar as Guy Diamond
GloZell as Grandma Rosiepuff
Meg DeAngelis as Moxie
Ricky Dillon as Aspen
Kandee Johnson as Mandy Sparkledust
Christine Baranski as Chef
John Cleese as King Gristle
Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Prince Gristle
Zooey Deschanel as Bridget
Jeffrey Tambor
Quvenzhané Wallis
TBA as Cloud Guy

This leaves Universal with two animated musicals with the focus on contemporary music being released within a month of each other. As bad as Trolls seems on the surface, I have a feeling it will be better than Sing.

This leaves Universal with two animated musicals with the focus on contemporary music being released within a month of each other. As bad as Trolls seems on the surface, I have a feeling it will be better than Sing.

Reviews over the first 25 minutes of Trolls should come out soon as they are showing it at Cannes. Sing's first 25 minute reviews were good as well not as good as secret life of pets but no one was saying this film looks awful.

Reviews over the first 25 minutes of Trolls should come out soon as they are showing it at Cannes. Sing's first 25 minute reviews were good as well not as good as secret life of pets but no one was saying this film looks awful.

I'll be the first, this looks awful, like a musical version of the Smurfs.

And Cloud Guy sounds like Bruce Campbell to me.

So first reviews of the 25 minute preview are out from the guardian newspaper (cut down to key points minus plot points):

Preview footage at Cannes has gone over well, with industry players predicting a major victory for the DreamWorks animated film about the hirsute toys.

The Transformers franchise, while popular with audiences (a fifth installment is currently in the works), was a critical flop. The Lego Movie, meanwhile, exceeded all expectations, proving itself to be a surreally innovative animated comedy.

So where does Trolls – DreamWorks Animation’s big-screen gamble on the popular dolls with the candy-colored hair – fall on the spectrum? Based on footage previewed at the Cannes film festival on Wednesday, it could very well land at the top of the heap.

Trolls doesn’t look to be as groundbreaking as Shrek, which along with Toy Story shepherded in a new age of animated films with jokes geared towards adults. But it stands to be just as big a hit – and DWA desperately needs one.

Story-wise, Trolls is no doubt slim. Its charms lie in the lush animation (every character and object in the film have a fabric-like quality), kinetic energy, and an abundance of giggle-inducing sight gags (extracted because may be considered a spoiler).

At the after-party, key industry players not affiliated with the picture went so far as to say the sophistication on display recalled Inside Out, the film that brought Pixar back to the creative fore following a rare crop of critical misfires. Trolls looks likely to follow in its footsteps.

Trolls: does DreamWorks have a Shrek-sized hit? | Film | The Guardian

So first reviews of the 25 minute preview are out from the guardian newspaper (cut down to key points minus plot points):

Trolls: does DreamWorks have a Shrek-sized hit? | Film | The Guardian
If this movie does Shrek numbers, a minor miracle will have occurred. Especially since it's opening only 1-week ahead of Moana if i'm not mistaken (and the Sing in December).

This isn't your typical year where the only holiday animated movie in theatres is a Disney film.

If this movie does Shrek numbers, a minor miracle will have occurred. Especially since it's opening only 1-week ahead of Moana if i'm not mistaken (and the Sing in December).

This isn't your typical year where the only holiday animated movie in theatres is a Disney film.

Let's not forget Fantastic Beasts comes out that same time as well. A week before Moana.

I'll be the first, this looks awful, like a musical version of the Smurfs.

And Cloud Guy sounds like Bruce Campbell to me.
its acutally the director of the film and Shrek doing the voice of Cloud Guy.

Let's not forget Fantastic Beasts comes out that same time as well. A week before Moana.
Also, let's not forget Moana is music based too. Not sure if it's a full fledged musical or just a few songs here and there, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is doing the music for the movie and has been recording with Dwayne Johnson of late.

Also, let's not forget Moana is music based too. Not sure if it's a full fledged musical or just a few songs here and there, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is doing the music for the movie and has been recording with Dwayne Johnson of late.

I love Lin-Manuel but his music isn't that great; (hamiltion's main appeal was the fact that it was rap based historical play featuring predominantly minorities playing the Founding Fathers) . There was a reason why Universal gave up rights for In the Heights in exchange to produce Mama Mia. You also has to look at the general public and timing. Justin Timberlake singing in a film or The Rock singing in a film.

I love Lin-Manuel but his music isn't that great; (hamiltion's main appeal was the fact that it was rap based historical play featuring predominantly minorities playing the Founding Fathers) . There was a reason why Universal gave up rights for In the Heights in exchange to produce Mama Mia. You also has to look at the general public and timing. Justin Timberlake singing in a film or The Rock singing in a film.
Oh, don't get me wrong, JT is a big draw for me as a fan of his. I still think the movie is going to be pretty crappy. Trolls does have an all-star cast though, so it's got that going for it.

Separately though, I think you're selling Miranda a tad short. Yes, what you stated was the main appeal. But it's also REALLY good. The music is incredibly catchy and even informative of Hamilton himself. I've yet to be lucky enough to get tickets to it from a lottery or cancellation window, but the music alone has gotten me interested in history again to the point that i've started taking history classes just for the fun of it and I bought/read Ron Chernow's biography that inspired the musical (which was amazing). Say what you want about him, but Miranda has a way with words that is able to truly inspire his audiences (hell, he saved Hamilton from departing the $10 bill).

Back to Trolls though... :lol: