Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 327 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Honestly my favorite rumor that I saw here a while back is that the "driver" will someone perish during the ride....I've always wondered how on earth they figured the truck would make it back to the station?? :saywhat:

They're saving that for Universal Studios Shanghai...

I don't want you to think that the stories of an abduction were completely incorrect. I believe this idea was conceived by UC in earlier renditions of the ride. I cannot recall if the word of abduction came from HTF or not but things got completely redesigned late in the process; the building, everything.

How would they go about you losing the driver and how would the vehicle have continued? Maybe like the CTX on Dinosaur, it could have been navigated from a hub with a voice over?

How would they go about you losing the driver and how would the vehicle have continued? Maybe like the CTX on Dinosaur, it could have been navigated from a hub with a voice over?

Not with the tech in the year this ride takes place.

i think most were hoping for someone in the story of the ride, a live actor to take over. Like the Great Movie Ride.

This would of been sweet.

I'm glad you guys are managing your expectations now. Although nothing from the final product seems to have really changed from @hatetofly's first reveal back in what...2013?

I can only speak for myself, but based on my interpretation of the rumors (which I followed basically from the very beginning of this whole process), I was heavily under the impression that - aside from the 360 tunnel - this was going to be a mostly practical/physical sort of ride experience, or at least more than, say, Gringotts ended up being. Phrases like "best of both worlds" and "good balance of techniques" were liberally thrown around by numerous people in-the-know. I'm not blaming anyone but myself for reaching that conclusion and letting it heighten my expectations.

I do sort of get the sense that the content of the ride's various scenes may not have changed much from the early rumors, but the approach used to bring those scenes to life may have been altered to play to Universal's screen-strength, instead of what may have initially been an intention to do more stuff "for real," so to speak. I might be way off base, but it's just a hunch.

And I'm still looking forward to the ride! As long as it delivers the King in a decent finale scene, I will likely be satisfied.

I don't want you to think that the stories of an abduction were completely incorrect. I believe this idea was conceived by UC in earlier renditions of the ride. I cannot recall if the word of abduction came from HTF or not but things got completely redesigned late in the process; the building, everything.

Why was it redesigned late in the process? I know it was rumored to replace Disaster at one time, but was it also redesigned after the decision to put it in IOA?

You are a tough cookie to satisfy belloq87!

That's fair and I won't argue that! I think if Kongfrontation wasn't once my favorite ride (anywhere), and if I didn't have a strong connection to Kong as an IP, and if I wasn't just slightly fatigued by Universal's go-to approach for most attractions these days, then I'd be much more easy-going about Reign of Kong. I'm sure it will more than satisfy most people!

Why was it redesigned late in the process? I know it was rumored to replace Disaster at one time, but was it also redesigned after the decision to put it in IOA?

I believe that it was rumored that Comcast or Universal thought the old idea was not big enough. They wanted it to be more.

Please note that these are rumors that have nothing to do with me as I was way outside the project at the time. I didn't know anything about the project back then. I was lucky to have the mystic fairy visit me and lay it all out. And I do mean all.

Just wanna say... one of the reason people thought the driver would die was because there's 5 drivers and 5 killer critters that the promo website announced at nearly the same time we learned of the drivers.

Two and two did not make four in this instance.

And i don't recall, especially since i was one of the people who tried to make Four of it, anyone saying they had heard it was the case or that they had seen XYZ indicating such. It wasn't a rumor, it was speculation.

Also, I asked folks to calm their tits and was told I was too negative :p Que sera sera.

I don't think they will ever have all 5 vehicles running simultaneously. The way the ride cycles and how long it takes to load/unload it just doesn't work mathematically.

I believe that it was rumored that Comcast or Universal thought the old idea was not big enough. They wanted it to be more.

Please note that these are rumors that have nothing to do with me as I was way outside the project at the time. I didn't know anything about the project back then. I was lucky to have the mystic fairy visit me and lay it all out. And I do mean all.

It's interesting that they went to the trouble of putting AA (or some type of figures) in the truck cabs. If the figures literally do nothing during the show, then it seems like a frivolous detail or a poor use of budget.

It's interesting that they went to the trouble of putting AA (or some type of figures) in the truck cabs. If the figures literally do nothing during the show, then it seems like a frivolous detail or a poor use of budget.

The drivers didn't cost them much at all because they were all created internally to my knowledge. The lead makeup artists of HHN and Grinch etc. handled it.

I don't really care if it meets whatever expectations I had/have, it is new and shiny and I just want to see what they made for my enjoyment. I grew up getting excited when the summer carnies came to town so theme parks in any form are better than I had except for trips to Cali and FL to see the real deal.

It's set in 1930.

I think it was suggested for a while that there would a driver and a guide. The driver would disappear and the guide would take over.