Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 326 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Haha I hope I do! The tilting would have probably been a bit much for the vehicle to handle, but the communication issues sounnds interesting, hopefully it gets ironed out!

It is my understanding that Universal has these setbacks because they build such safety and multi-reporting into their rides. They require the vehicles to report to 2 or 3 systems its location as well as multiple other pieces of information. Same for effects during the ride like the tilt table, fire etc. It is my understanding too that Disney doesn't push the safety as far as Universal.

What I'm curious about is what they are using to position/center/and perhaps lock the vehicles for these scenes.
The back lot tram simply uses alignment wheels and a tight bumper railing to align the vehicle properly.
I haven't been able to see if the RV has any similar feature, however its autonomous so maybe needing that alignment is not required?

RFID tags glued every three feet down the center of the ride track. At my begging, someone recently took a picture of them.

Looks pretty screen heavy to me. The AA scenes are basically the preshow for screen scenes.
I think it all comes down to what they were wanting for the theme. This looks to be based on later POTC films and it being underwater kind of made screens a necessity as opposed to a replacement of traditional props. Hopefully the theming wasn't decided on strictly so they COULD use screens though. As someone who is usually always extremely critical of utilizing screens in an attraction I just didn't get that same vibe with the initial POV ride through for POTC Shanghai...then again, I have yet to physically be on it...

From what I've seen UC is using the stock chassis from VLC so there won't be any built in motion to the vehicle. The stock chassis barely has 3" of suspension travel, most of which are just hard dampeners.
View attachment 1864
Thanks for replying! I'd guessed they'd probably use a tilt floor, and I'm also quite interested in how they'll secure the vehicle, and quickly release it to move on (I didn't know how they did it in Hollywood, though I'd imagine the release has to be quicker here, to keep the pace of the story).

From what I gather, guidance is handled by a magnetic ground system isn't it? ...
Ah, I didn't realise they'd be using sensors around the "track", but that definitely makes more sense than just trusting preset routes entirely.

They require the vehicles to report to 2 or 3 systems its location as well as multiple other pieces of information.

RFID tags glued every three feet down the center of the ride track. At my begging, someone recently took a picture of them.
The safety features of rides (and the laws governing them) are something I rarely see though it always interests me how much goes into it all (I read the UK laws on pyrotechnics once, and the guides were so specific as to explicitly forbid DMX for fire control.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the RFID tags when I'm there, assuming they aren't hidden.

Ah, I didn't realise they'd be using sensors around the "track", but that definitely makes more sense than just trusting preset routes entirely.
Think of something like the old "follow the line" robot kits they have, except magnetic instead of optical and on a much larger scale. I believe the system the ride is based off of is actually grid based, allowing for more navigation options, but it's the same principle - a buried magnetic line / coil. Of course given the ride environment, there are many other sensors and triggers for safety and show.

Kinda like this, but much larger:

Reactions: Ryno27
Think of something like the old "follow the line" robot kits they have, except magnetic instead of optical and on a much larger scale. I believe the system the ride is based off of is actually grid based, allowing for more navigation options, but it's the same principle - a buried magnetic line / coil. Of course given the ride environment, there are many other sensors and triggers for safety and show.

Kinda like this, but much larger:

Oh interesting, I completely forgot those still existed, but it makes sense that they'd use something like that!

I'm glad you guys are managing your expectations now. Although nothing from the final product seems to have really changed from @hatetofly's first reveal back in what...2013?

Reactions: Ryno27
I'm interested in how they'll do motion for the screens - whether they'll put us onto a tilting section of ground, like in Kong 360 3D, or if they'll have somehow implemented tilting into the vehicle itself (I'm guessing the former)
Muse seemed to suggest there was no motion on the vehicles on his ride through. At least that was how I interpreted his answer.

Honestly my favorite rumor that I saw here a while back is that the "driver" will someone perish during the ride....I've always wondered how on earth they figured the truck would make it back to the station?? :saywhat:

Reactions: Mike S and Jon84
Just taken a Helicopter tour over UOR, took some video but couldn't really see the screen. Heading to the hotel shortly before going out tonight so I'll see what I got!!
OK, so the footage I got was a little shaky as the tour was a little whirlwind and I only had my compact on me. Got a few screen grabs, that don't show anything in detail, but gives you an idea of the size of the beast!

Great shots, it's massive!
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg