Driving in Orlando | Inside Universal Forums

Driving in Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 11, 2016
Please tell me about driving in Orlando.
How is the drive from the airport to the Universal area?
I live in Houston Texas, and the traffic is horrid so I am used to pretty bad driving conditions.
How is it handled renting a car from the deluxe hotels? They have the car right there?
Thanks

Driving in Orlando is like reading directions from IKEA. You will do everything right but something will go wrong.
In Orlando's case, TOURIST, WEATHER, OR CONSTRUCTION.

TOURIST - They don't know where they are going or they do and do improper lane changes, u turns, signals, and everything else of the sort. No big deal, just make sure to have a tone of patience dealing with them because they mean no harm. I actually enjoy helping them when they are lost.
Most people not from here follow the GPS and use main roads. So If you can avoid roads that start with "S.R." (Which means State Road, or in other words, BUSY AF) IF you can, use the roads and not the highway, depending on your time of day and or eagerness to arrive at your destination.

WEATHER -Downpour can occur at any moment and clog roads because people tend to drive slower in the baby hurricanes we receive daily sometime. If not the rain, the bright sun beaming will make it difficult to see clearly and drive fast as you want. So take your time slow down, and just be ready for rain at any point.

CONSTRUCTION - Orange Cones EVERYWHERE. Lane line changes, roads closed at night late or early AM sometime, and or simple fact that so much is under construction, it's crowded on some roads, some days anyway. So just if you run into construction take your time.

Just be patient, always be aware the car in front of you may not see you, we drive fast in Orlando (Most Locals) and won't wait for you to figure out which lane you want to be in. If you're going to go th speed limit or slower, stay out of the left lane which is referred to and commonly used as "The Fast Lane". If not people will be aggressive and drive on your bumper, honk at you, or go around you abruptly. Doesn't always happen but just be aware.

As far as car rentals go, if you're flying in make sure you have transit to the hotel you are staying. MOST have rental car agencies on property, the nicer hotels anyway. So check with your resort for certainty. Not sure what your definition of deluxe hotel is for Orlando.

Hope that helps.

I live in Houston Texas, and the traffic is horrid so I am used to pretty bad driving conditions.
How is it handled renting a car from the deluxe hotels? They have the car right there?
Thanks

Not bad. Last week durging morning rush hour it was around 30 minutes from leaving MCO to pulling into the Bay.

Waze is your friend.

Thanks

It's like anywhere else, you want to try and avoid the roads during morning and evening rush hour. It's nothing like Washington DC traffic though, that has to be the worst I have ever been in. The drive from the airport to Uni is pretty easy and just about all highway. I believe Uni has the rental cars onsite. @UK-Trigg just spent 2 weeks down there with a rental going from Disney and Universal so he may be able to share some pointers also

Not bad. Last week during morning rush hour it was around 30 minutes from leaving MCO to pulling into the Bay.

Waze is your friend.

That's actually pretty impressive considering the time of day

The airport to uni traffic should be pretty decent for the most part. The drive from Disney to universal can be pretty nuts at times. I4 is really just a roll of the dice lately.

It's not a problem most of the time, and even when it's bad it's not the worst. Traffic is much worse in D.C., Atlanta and L.A. in my experience.

Reactions: misterID
I hate Atlanta. I make sure I cruise through Atlanta before 4:30-5 am going to Florida. Do not get caught in Atlanta from 4-7 pm.

I'm a Florida native, and the drive is really good, IMO. The Turnpike is a smooth ride and I-4 isn't as scary as people say. But I always get hammered by storms and it's tough. Florida storms are monsoons, with visability being on par with mountain fog=be cautious.

But it's like driving in any city, really.

The airport to uni traffic should be pretty decent for the most part. The drive from Disney to universal can be pretty nuts at times. I4 is really just a roll of the dice lately.

I always avoid the I4 by driving to Disney through Doctor Philips, much better route in my eyes.

As a former Houstonian and current Central Floridian I can probably highlight some things you'll find different. First of all there are no service/feeder roads. Toll roads are not an option if they're part of your route, that is unless you want to drive way out of your way. Traffic in Orlando is nowhere near as bad as Houston but I find it frustrating as it's not justified. When you leave downtown Houston at rush hour along with millions of other people traffic is understandable, however here you will see traffic for no good reason whatsoever. In the event of accidents or any roadside incidents they are not handled very efficiently, they don't move cars out of the way and people stop to look. For that mater I've seen freeways back up due to people slowing down to stop and look at someone with a broken down car, in Houston unless they're pulling bodies from a burning car everyone knows the importance of keeping things moving. Most of the freeways are essentially rural interstate with only 6 lanes so it doesn't take to much to back things up. All that said navigating the tourist area isn't too bad. Just take things slow and don't be surprised to see some really stupid stuff happen on the roads.

I really do enjoy driving in Florida, good roads, good signage and no roundabouts LOL.

If I did have one tip to share it would be, get one of these bad boys, so much fun to drive.

url]
url]

20160511_154208.jpg

20160511_154619.jpg

20160511_154223.jpg

20160511_154254.jpg

Last edited:
I really do enjoy driving in Florida, good roads, good signage and no roundabouts LOL.

If I did have one tip to share it would be, get one of these bad boys, so much fun to drive.

url]
url]

20160511_154208.jpg

20160511_154619.jpg

20160511_154223.jpg

20160511_154254.jpg
Of course. It's always easier to drive when you're on the correct side of the road and you sit on the correct side of the car. And for sure, no silly roundabouts. :lol:

Reactions: misterID
get one of these bad boys, so much fun to drive.
Haha, I think Florida is probably one of the worst places for convertibles. They're definitely okay for a short vacation but I wouldn't want one. It's hot and humid and the last thing I want is to stay in that when I get to my car. Not to mention the frequent sudden out of nowhere rain showers. I see people having to pull over all the time to put the tops up.

not going to Disney. My daughter won't go to Disneyworld, she says the size scares her.

Lets put it this way, its no worse than Houston, maybe more rubbernecking delays but the roads are pretty good!

Houston is awful. I still don't like my son driving on the highway here, and he is almost 20.
I want a car horn that says "IDIOT" rather than just honking.

Reactions: ChrisM
As a former Houstonian and current Central Floridian I can probably highlight some things you'll find different. First of all there are no service/feeder roads. Toll roads are not an option if they're part of your route, that is unless you want to drive way out of your way. Traffic in Orlando is nowhere near as bad as Houston but I find it frustrating as it's not justified. When you leave downtown Houston at rush hour along with millions of other people traffic is understandable, however here you will see traffic for no good reason whatsoever. In the event of accidents or any roadside incidents they are not handled very efficiently, they don't move cars out of the way and people stop to look. For that mater I've seen freeways back up due to people slowing down to stop and look at someone with a broken down car, in Houston unless they're pulling bodies from a burning car everyone knows the importance of keeping things moving. Most of the freeways are essentially rural interstate with only 6 lanes so it doesn't take to much to back things up. All that said navigating the tourist area isn't too bad. Just take things slow and don't be surprised to see some really stupid stuff happen on the roads.

The biggest problem I see is the darn tow trucks. Two car accident, and 8 trucks lined up.
I don't get why they stick around. Do they hope more cars will crash while they wait there?