Driving in Orlando | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Driving in Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hate Atlanta. I make sure I cruise through Atlanta before 4:30-5 am going to Florida. Do not get caught in Atlanta from 4-7 pm.

I'm a Florida native, and the drive is really good, IMO. The Turnpike is a smooth ride and I-4 isn't as scary as people say. But I always get hammered by storms and it's tough. Florida storms are monsoons, with visability being on par with mountain fog=be cautious.

But it's like driving in any city, really.

Get that kind of rain in Houston. I pull over when I can't see. I don't believe in driving by braille method.

Driving in Orlando is like reading directions from IKEA. You will do everything right but something will go wrong.
In Orlando's case, TOURIST, WEATHER, OR CONSTRUCTION.

TOURIST - They don't know where they are going or they do and do improper lane changes, u turns, signals, and everything else of the sort. No big deal, just make sure to have a tone of patience dealing with them because they mean no harm. I actually enjoy helping them when they are lost.
Most people not from here follow the GPS and use main roads. So If you can avoid roads that start with "S.R." (Which means State Road, or in other words, BUSY AF) IF you can, use the roads and not the highway, depending on your time of day and or eagerness to arrive at your destination.

WEATHER -Downpour can occur at any moment and clog roads because people tend to drive slower in the baby hurricanes we receive daily sometime. If not the rain, the bright sun beaming will make it difficult to see clearly and drive fast as you want. So take your time slow down, and just be ready for rain at any point.

CONSTRUCTION - Orange Cones EVERYWHERE. Lane line changes, roads closed at night late or early AM sometime, and or simple fact that so much is under construction, it's crowded on some roads, some days anyway. So just if you run into construction take your time.

Just be patient, always be aware the car in front of you may not see you, we drive fast in Orlando (Most Locals) and won't wait for you to figure out which lane you want to be in. If you're going to go th speed limit or slower, stay out of the left lane which is referred to and commonly used as "The Fast Lane". If not people will be aggressive and drive on your bumper, honk at you, or go around you abruptly. Doesn't always happen but just be aware.

As far as car rentals go, if you're flying in make sure you have transit to the hotel you are staying. MOST have rental car agencies on property, the nicer hotels anyway. So check with your resort for certainty. Not sure what your definition of deluxe hotel is for Orlando.

Hope that helps.

We are staying at the Hard Rock.
We need to go back to the airport to pick up my daughter's friend. I had thought of just getting a car from the hotel, going to the grocery store, and picking up her friend rather than getting a shuttle/car service.
Cost wise, not sure how expensive a day rental from the hotel would set us back

The biggest problem I see is the darn tow trucks. Two car accident, and 8 trucks lined up.
I don't get why they stick around. Do they hope more cars will crash while they wait there?
Yeah they don't do that here. This goes back to here in Florida it's not as important to clear things up fast. Often they'll just leave the cars on the side of the road. In Houston the police have a system all the tow truck drivers have scanners and when there's an accident they just say over the radio they need tow trucks. Whoever gets their first gets the job. Leaving the vehicles on the road usually isn't even an option. Here in Florida I think they just call them individually as needed and they don't seem to mind waiting.