Disneyland Planning on a Fourth Resort Hotel (Update: Cancelled) | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Planning on a Fourth Resort Hotel (Update: Cancelled)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been officially shown of Disney proposing a brand new hotel to go onto the DTD Parking lot, to open in 2021.

Disney plans to add luxury hotel at Disneyland Resort - The Orange County Register

Along the way, there are also plans to create a parking structure for DTD/Hotels along side it (DLH and the upcoming hotel) to open it by 2019, with construction on that starting as soon as 2017. The Hotel would start work in 2018 to open by 2021.

Thoughts on the rumor? Is it necessary of Disney to create a new hotel at the resort? Comment below!

On site hotels are money machines. Always a good idea.

Not Disneyland...Harbor Blvd is covered with hotels with higher qualities amenities and close to good restaurants within walking distance to the parks as in less than a block. Disneyworld makes sense Disneyland it doesn't. They don't have any rooms by their parks unless they decide to get rid of the Castle Inn but even then it would be the farthest resort from the parks and downtown Disney.

Last edited:
Just for context, Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel both have AAA 4-Diamond awards. All of the Disney World Deluxe hotels have AAA 4-Diamond awards as well.

There doesn't appear to be any 5-Diamonds near Disneyland and the only 5-Diamond near Disney World is the new Four Seasons. You can find a really specific checklist of everything a hotel needs to be considered 4 or 5 Diamond. These aren't the Michelin Awards.

Not Disneyland...Harbor Blvd is covered with hotels with higher qualities amenities and close to good restaurants within walking distance to the parks as in less than a block. Disneyworld makes sense Disneyland it doesn't. They don't have any rooms by their parks unless they decide to get rid of the Castle Inn but even then it would be the farthest resort from the parks and downtown Disney.
Yeah, but DL's hotels are virtually always at 90%+ occupancy, so it's easily worth it.

The concept art doesn't look Disneyish at all. Doesn't seem like it has a theme other than luxury. Oh well. I might still check it out depending on proximity. There's just too many options within walking distance.

The concept art doesn't look Disneyish at all. Doesn't seem like it has a theme other than luxury. Oh well. I might still check it out depending on proximity. There's just too many options within walking distance.
If you walk into the lobby of The Contemporary (both hotel and DVC), it looks the same as those renderings. The renderings show so little of the hotel though. The Disney presence will likely be in the subtle details.

Just for context, Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel both have AAA 4-Diamond awards. All of the Disney World Deluxe hotels have AAA 4-Diamond awards as well.

There doesn't appear to be any 5-Diamonds near Disneyland and the only 5-Diamond near Disney World is the new Four Seasons. You can find a really specific checklist of everything a hotel needs to be considered 4 or 5 Diamond. These aren't the Michelin Awards.
Disney is "partnered" with AAA, their ratings are rather biased. The last time Mobil rated the WDW resorts, all including the Grand Flo were rated as 3 stars.

I, personally agree with this. Portofino Bay is a true 4 star. Disney's, not so much.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Considering the location, it'd be cool if they coordinated the theme with Adventureland or New Orleans Square and built a bridge over Disneyland Drive with a special entrance into the park.
Based on the show buildings and backstage road that they would have to work around, i'd say a bridge isn't likely. The walk to the monorail will still be very quick so I just don't see them going through the trouble.

Disney is "partnered" with AAA, their ratings are rather biased. The last time Mobil rated the WDW resorts, all including the Grand Flo were rated as 3 stars.

I, personally agree with this. Portofino Bay is a true 4 star. Disney's, not so much.

We stopped listening to AAA a long time ago. They can too easily be bought. I personally go for personal reviews like on Trip Advisor, I feel you get more of the truth there once you weed out the crazy reviews.

Reactions: Disneyhead
If you walk into the lobby of The Contemporary (both hotel and DVC), it looks the same as those renderings. The renderings show so little of the hotel though. The Disney presence will likely be in the subtle details.

Makes sense. The Contemporary is probably my least favorite Disney hotel. :lol:

Reactions: Nick
Makes sense. The Contemporary is probably my least favorite Disney hotel. :lol:
I've since learned since replying to that comment that Disney has stated they made the art "generic upscale" on purpose. They just haven't decided on a theme yet (apparently).

I've since learned since replying to that comment that Disney has stated they made the art "generic upscale" on purpose. They just haven't decided on a theme yet (apparently).

Kinda like parts of the Contemporary, honestly, while other parts are "modern if we were still in the early 90's."

Kinda like parts of the Contemporary, honestly, while other parts are "modern if we were still in the early 90's."
I love the look of the lobby of the Contemporary. The most egregious thing to me is how much Chef Mickey's not only sticks out like a sore thumb, but is incredibly loud and takes away from any sort of upscale feel the resort may have. It's an incredibly uneven resort.

I love the look of the lobby of the Contemporary. The most egregious thing to me is how much Chef Mickey's not only sticks out like a sore thumb, but is incredibly loud and takes away from any sort of upscale feel the resort may have. It's an incredibly uneven resort.

I don't know if they've remodeled the pool area since I stayed there but it was barren concrete. Also, before the update, California Grill was way too pretentious for looking like a 90's Wolfgang Puck joint.

The AAA ratings aren't subjective ratings. They're just a list of very clear things you need to do. Have room service, have sheets with x thread count, spend x dollars per room, have a restaurant with median dish price of x dollars, etc. If you check every box, you get the rating. It means that every single resort that's planned as a 4 Diamond will become a 4 diamond.