Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos

The thing I like best in the whole attraction is they found a new trick that rivals the falling and being caught gag. When the truck falls into the ravine and starts swinging from side to side between Kong and the T Rex, that swinging feeling was sooooo cool and unique.

They have this effect in Hollywood which is shockingly effective, but I wonder if not having a chain of four vehicles makes the experience feel even more realistic.

Has anyone ridden both 360 in Hollywood and Reign of Kong that can compare the motion?

They have this effect in Hollywood which is shockingly effective, but I wonder if not having a chain of four vehicles makes the experience feel even more realistic.

Has anyone ridden both 360 in Hollywood and Reign of Kong that can compare the motion?

My lone ride on the Hollywood tram was 3 years ago, so...but I certainly felt that this 360 tunnel was so much better overall than Hollywood's. The movement felt much more real, I think mostly because all of the action is easily within view, so everything seems more realistic. The feelings of movement were very real, and I was really surprised at how it felt when the truck floored it to get away from the raptors. The swinging is also crazy.

On thinking, there are only two things I'd have added.... the sound of the doors closing behind us.. and I'd have added a small segment between 360 and Kong with Kate. The radio "I'm OK" is kinda weird after the setup in screens one and two

OK, so actually got lucky and turning around at state line to go back yesterday hoping to ride worked out. Rode it two times as we were in front of line all day and getting back on only took about an hour. Very glad I went back second time since we were whisked through the queue pretty quickly once softs started. Props to Universal as everyone was crowding in at 4ish and they made everyone get in back of line and took the line in an orderly fashion. The ride is awesome, the theming alone on this ride outdoes other rides. Really liked the 360 scene and agree with others swinging, falling, etc... seemed smooth and more realistic than other similar ride types in park. Went on outdoor path first ride and second ride we were at loading gate and they paused operations and cycled all 3 trucks and couldn't figure ot why but when it resumed it skipped outdoor queue so I assume that was so they could verify all 3 were going to bypass outdoor queue. I will say it is more impressive going through doors as indoor queue just comes in past skull on left inside doors. And the big guy himself was really impressive, even though my daughters knew about him they were thoroughly surprised and pleased once they saw him. We sat on row 8 right side both rides and had excellent views of everything. When you get to end of queue right before loading break off to the right as that will ensure you don't get front row (at least that's how it worked out for us both times.) Props to Universal, think they have a home run here.

Side Note: Mike West was at loading platform observing last night and seemed pleased with operation.

Also, I want to sincerely thank Orlando United for all the great information and without this site would never have known to turn around to try to catch softs. I know this site and it's members and wealth of information made our vacation excellent. This was our first trip to Universal but will definitely be back for all new rides next year and Hulk. It was a pleasure meeting some of the members here especially Disneyhead, he made waiting for softs Monday a lot better so thanks again and look forward to being a part of this community for years to come.

On thinking, there are only two things I'd have added.... the sound of the doors closing behind us.. and I'd have added a small segment between 360 and Kong with Kate. The radio "I'm OK" is kinda weird after the setup in screens one and two

Agreed. Kate should have appeared in the 360 scene. You have blonde female adventurer and King Kong and the two don't interact?! Bah!

OK, so actually got lucky and turning around at state line to go back yesterday hoping to ride worked out. Rode it two times as we were in front of line all day and getting back on only took about an hour. Very glad I went back second time since we were whisked through the queue pretty quickly once softs started. Props to Universal as everyone was crowding in at 4ish and they made everyone get in back of line and took the line in an orderly fashion. The ride is awesome, the theming alone on this ride outdoes other rides. Really liked the 360 scene and agree with others swinging, falling, etc... seemed smooth and more realistic than other similar ride types in park. Went on outdoor path first ride and second ride we were at loading gate and they paused operations and cycled all 3 trucks and couldn't figure ot why but when it resumed it skipped outdoor queue so I assume that was so they could verify all 3 were going to bypass outdoor queue. I will say it is more impressive going through doors as indoor queue just comes in past skull on left inside doors. And the big guy himself was really impressive, even though my daughters knew about him they were thoroughly surprised and pleased once they saw him. We sat on row 8 right side both rides and had excellent views of everything. When you get to end of queue right before loading break off to the right as that will ensure you don't get front row (at least that's how it worked out for us both times.) Props to Universal, think they have a home run here.

Side Note: Mike West was at loading platform observing last night and seemed pleased with operation.

Also, I want to sincerely thank Orlando United for all the great information and without this site would never have known to turn around to try to catch softs. I know this site and it's members and wealth of information made our vacation excellent. This was our first trip to Universal but will definitely be back for all new rides next year and Hulk. It was a pleasure meeting some of the members here especially Disneyhead, he made waiting for softs Monday a lot better so thanks again and look forward to being a part of this community for years to come.
Glad things worked out so well for you. You took a calculated gamble & won. Yes, OU is " 'The' Universal Site". And Disneyhead is a great guy. Thanks for the boarding tip. I wrote it down in my Universal binder. Nice review :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the kind words! The good news is we still have more to come to discuss with everything going on!

I rode the Hollywood version back in January, and wasn't really that impressed with the motion. It just seemed like we parked in a tunnel, got wind blown at us and water misted at us, and shook a little.

I found the experience in Florida to be a bit more... euphoric? Trying to think of a more appropriate word, but i'm failing, so euphoric will have to do. I found myself shrieking along with the rest of the people in the vehicle as we were swinging on that vine. It felt more immersive and believable than the Hollywood tram.

That having been said, I still have no hope for Fast & the Furious Supercharged. That was the worst part of the tram tour and I don't see how they could possibly make it any less cheesy and laughable. My friend still brings up the Rock calling everyone on the tram "stink pickles".

For those of you who have ridden, during the kate into/ bat scene, is that supposed to be a motion base? Both of my rides the RV didn't move, but kinda felt like it was supposed to?

Not impressed. Just left the ride and I would never wait more than 20 minutes to ride it again.
Never waiting more than 20 minutes is pretty much my standard rule for all attractions. Ironically with this attraction I definitely want to wait longer next time as I went through the queue way too fast.

I'm on my phone at the park so I'll elaborate a little. I personally think it was like Poseidons Fury in this respect -looks amazing on the outside but a huge disappointment inside . I was bored at points...2 scenes about the girl/all spark (same thing) getting taken and then she disappears and the story turns to an endless Kong fight? Where is this girl that I don't actually care about.. It's as if the ride doesn't care either so it just forgets about her until the end and mentions her as a passing thought. I think the story is weak and it's essentially every other ride at Universal... I fail to see where it pushes boundaries or introduces new fantastic elements. I probably would ride 10 other rides over Kong. It's definitely got a gorgeous exterior.. So.. It's basically an empty headed model.

I'm on my phone at the park so I'll elaborate a little. I personally think it was like Poseidons Fury in this respect -looks amazing on the outside but a huge disappointment inside . I was bored at points...2 scenes about the girl/all spark (same thing) getting taken and then she disappears and the story turns to an endless Kong fight? Where is this girl that I don't actually care about.. It's as if the ride doesn't care either so it just forgets about her until the end and mentions her as a passing thought. I think the story is weak and it's essentially every other ride at Universal... I fail to see where it pushes boundaries or introduces new fantastic elements. I probably would ride 10 other rides over Kong. It's definitely got a gorgeous exterior.. So.. It's basically an empty headed model.

I have to disagree about the fantastic elements part. I think it has mind-blowing moments, such as the AA, the realism in the screens and the 360.

You're 100% correct about the story. It's an easy fix too. Simply have Kong saving the girl in the 360 3D portion instead of random dino's. The ride builds up a whole story then just drops it... It's an issue because it makes the riders expect their to be another scene after the animatronic to find out what happened to the girl.

The more I think about it, the awful and lazy story really is annoying me. The story is a joke. I could've made a better story, and I thought these guys were supposed to be "professionals" at storytelling in themed attractions.