Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 507 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Was Jackson involved? I can't remember.

That's a really good question. Is there and IMDB page for SI: RoK? I cannot remember if I ever asked if he was seen on property. I don't even know if WETA did the CGI.

Checked, no IMDB and WETA only shows 360. It has to be WETA as recreating the entire film footage would have cost a zillion dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
Yikes. whylightbulb over at a certain "other" site just unleashed a whole bunch of negative comments about the current state of Universal Creative and how "good enough" will be the goal going forward for other Universal attractions. This comes as quite a shock to me given the success they've been having and the massive amount of money Comcast has been investing. Obviously, take everything with a grain of salt but the picture he paints is depressing indeed. :-(

Reactions: Ryno27
Yikes. whylightbulb over at a certain "other" site just unleashed a whole bunch of negative comments about the current state of Universal Creative and how "good enough" will be the goal going forward for other Universal attractions. This comes as quite a shock to me given the success they've been having and the massive amount of money Comcast has been investing. Obviously, take everything with a grain of salt but the picture he paints is depressing indeed. :-(

He has been railing about cutbacks and low budgets at Universal for YEARS. His last pronouncement back when Kong started construction was that Volcano Bay's budget had been hacked to shreads. Does it look like VB has suffered cutbacks? Don't take him seriously, please.

He has been railing about cutbacks and low budgets at Universal for YEARS. His last pronouncement back when Kong started construction was that Volcano Bay's budget had been hacked to shreads. Does it look like VB has suffered cutbacks? Don't take him seriously, please.

That makes me feel better. It's a shame because I remember him back when he was singing Universal Creative's praises during both FJ and Gringotts construction. I wonder what happened that made him change into someone with a vendetta.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
Whylightbulb is a good guy and actually worked on the projects. He confronted Eddie Sotto on the rose colored recollections at WDI by reminding Eddie of his screaming echoing through the halls with the politics and budget cuts.

He will not hold back. And tbh, I have no idea how to tell how much VBs budget has been cut, but I doubt he would make it up.

That makes me feel better. It's a shame because I remember him back when he was singing Universal Creative's praises during both FJ and Gringotts construction. I wonder what happened that made him change into someone with a vendetta.
He was not singing their praises during Gringotts...

Reactions: SeventyOne

He started most of it late in Diagon's construction. Perhaps the company that he works for was sent packing as I have reported previously regarding the Diagon project? (that is someone elses idea, but a possibility.) Just because a major idea might have been cut from a project doesn't mean they didn't come up with something else to replace it, even with something more expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Whylightbulb's criticisms are largely my own. First two scenes don't work. Not entirely because they are "screenz" but also because they do too much too quickly. A ride needs to build to its climax. How many times does Splash Mountain do a fakeout of the big drop? 4 or 5? Even Mansion, how long before you actually see ghosts?

Two rooms of physical sets, maybe some simple AAs, would do a better job of priming guests for the tunnel (which is the main event). Build a sense of foreboding, then let all hell break loose.

Whylightbulb's criticisms are largely my own. First two scenes don't work. Not entirely because they are "screenz" but also because they do too much too quickly. A ride needs to build to its climax. How many times does Splash Mountain do a fakeout of the big drop? 4 or 5? Even Mansion, how long before you actually see ghosts?

Two rooms of physical sets, maybe some simple AAs, would do a better job of priming guests for the tunnel (which is the main event). Build a sense of foreboding, then let all hell break loose.

And I see the merits of these points. But I believe the queue is intended as part of the attraction and foreboding. Is it inconsistent and fractured when dissected, yeah probably and that is too bad. However, I have NEVER concentrated on the plot of an attraction. I believe the show seems short because it is too compelling for its own good. The 360 part could go on for an additional 5 minutes and no one would complain. But, it doesn't.

I haven't ridden yet, but my thoughts so far is that it's a very good attraction, but with a very poor/disjointed story. I'm thinking it will probably rank around #5 on my top 10 (below Spidey, Gringotts, FJ, and Transformers), although that's just a pure guess, I'll see for sure when I actually ride it.

Reactions: Ryno27

He's a source. It's important to find inputs from many to find a wholistic perspective. I take his inputs and the inputs of others and UC is definitely interesting and making choices right now. Personally, I think they're punting on both coasts to 2020.