Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 508 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Took my better half, waited 2 hours... motion base was down... :/ .. but those bats in scene one (not the animat=ronivs, the 3D ones) ... damn if it doesn't look like they fly INTO the truck

Last edited:
Whylightbulb's criticisms are largely my own. First two scenes don't work. Not entirely because they are "screenz" but also because they do too much too quickly. A ride needs to build to its climax. How many times does Splash Mountain do a fakeout of the big drop? 4 or 5? Even Mansion, how long before you actually see ghosts?

Two rooms of physical sets, maybe some simple AAs, would do a better job of priming guests for the tunnel (which is the main event). Build a sense of foreboding, then let all hell break loose.
Also, two of your major attractions with Kong and F&F are based on the 360 portions of a tram ride and given the same vehicles and format and aren't given their own individual identities as attractions. Wouldn't that be frustrating to UC?

Also, two of your major attractions with Kong and F&F are based on the 360 portions of a tram ride and given the same vehicles and format and aren't given their own individual identities as attractions. Wouldn't that be frustrating to UC?

UC is frustrated all the time, so is A&D and Entertainment. Do you think UC wanted Fallon or A&D wants walking dead... again? The job is tough when you are assigned to make it great.

He has been railing about cutbacks and low budgets at Universal for YEARS. His last pronouncement back when Kong started construction was that Volcano Bay's budget had been hacked to shreads. Does it look like VB has suffered cutbacks? Don't take him seriously, please.
Yep, he's always crying that the sky is falling. I've not seen much info from him that turned out very correct down the line. He seems to have a vendetta with certain people at Universal since he's always bringing up stuff & people like he did with this post. And most of the time it's about changes in the early talking stages of an attraction. Hell, that happens to all attractions.But my two main problems with him are that he'll post something and then take it down, or he'll go back and edit his post so it doesn't say what it originally did. Chances are you can locate this post in a few months and it will say something different than it does today. I think Teebs may be right about his background. He has as much credibility to me as Spirit has on his Universal information. Just wanted to back up what Teebs said. He's nobody important in my eyes so I won't waste anymore time commenting on him.

Reactions: Ryno27
So is the ride really that good? I had a friend who rode this earlier today (got stuck in the three hour delay so that might have made things worse) and she said it sucked. This scares me because she is a hardcore USO fan. She said that the majority of the ride did not work (3D or Motion Bases, ect) and she is gonna give it another try Sunday. I have low expectations for this ride to keep my disappointment down if any. Still looking forward but kinda scary how negative the ride seemed to her.

So is the ride really that good? I had a friend who rode this earlier today (got stuck in the three hour delay so that might have made things worse) and she said it sucked. This scares me because she is a hardcore USO fan. She said that the majority of the ride did not work (3D or Motion Bases, ect) and she is gonna give it another try Sunday. I have low expectations for this ride to keep my disappointment down if any. Still looking forward but kinda scary how negative the ride seemed to her.

It's in technical rehearsals.

Here is Whylightbulb's post regarding Kong and other UC projects..
Someone has already alluded to it in this thread – many in Universal Creatives’ upper and middle management are lazy and inept. Kong is the latest example of this disappointing realization. Of course not all of them are careless and riding out their high six and seven figure salaries and bonuses. Mike West is one example of a manager that cares and has the talent to back up his position. Unfortunately he has been stymied with Kong, just as he was with Simpsons and Minions. The past year we have seen an exodus of UC talent, including Lisa Nash, because they are tired of the BS. Ask Scott Trowbridge why he left UC. It wasn’t just the sweet offer from Disney that motivated him to leave his high level position. There are of course many more examples but let’s talk Kong now.

Kong had a lot of promise and could have been spectacular, what it ended up being, in my opinion, was just passable. Just as I predicted park guests love it, specifically the tunnel scene. I knew they would and therein lies the problem and the reason why we will continue to get attractions that just barely make the grade for the foreseeable future. Instead of UC and Comcast living up to a standard they set for themselves (as Disney used to do and is starting to once again in some cases), they will be lazy and deliver just enough to get by.

First, here’s the good about Kong. The queue is well executed and sets the mood (nice job Greg). The queue AAs are nice but I wouldn’t have expected anything less from Advanced Animation. They are the only domestic AA company besides Garner (handed to them on a silver platter by WDI) that have figured out how to pull off compliance software in house and really make it work. There is just enough detail in the queue to deliver an entertaining and interesting experience in anticipation for an amazing ride (if only the last part could have been delivered). I applaud the effort in installing on-board AAs for each ride vehicle. It doesn’t bother me that much that their motion is jerky and that they look like the old Sally AAs back from ET because it is something different and it works for most of the passengers past the first few rows. I love the size of the show doors into the building. Last but not least, obviously the Kong AA, just as I’ve been saying all along, is very realistic and well executed in some ways.

Now for the bad and the reasons why this attraction is only passable in my opinion. Let’s start with the fact that there are really only five (and I’m being generous here) scenes of any consequence and they are, once again, 75 percent screens. Not only did Woodbury cut much of the queue but he cut major portions of the ride as well. This is a fact, Woodbury does not “get it” and I’ll leave it at that in order to protect myself and several others. There are a few on these boards that I’ll reveal specific and personal experiences regarding working with him and others from UC but I can’t get too specific in public for obvious reasons. These cut scenes had some to do with budget but more to do with not appreciating or understanding what makes a theme park attraction stand out. To open a major dark ride attraction with just two screens, a projection tunnel/motion base, a few bats, and one large-scale animatronic is an embarrassment in my opinion.

Among the scenes that got cut: a high-speed (practical not screens) chase through the jungle, a scene where the RV breaks down and our driver gets nabbed, a detour through the insect pit with AAs etc. etc. Some of the cut scenes made it pretty far before being cut by the man that most outside of UC revere out of ignorance and those that know him and work with him fear more than anything because he has quite a temper and rules with an iron fist as opposed to a collaborative and open management style that you find more often at WDI. Some of the scenes didn’t even make it to an official pitch because they were seen as gratuitous and unnecessary. I don’t know about you but I think the high-speed chase in the middle of all those screen scenes would have been a welcome respite from the same old UC tricks and would have made the experience more complete and unique. Just two more practical scenes would have made it more complete.

How about, even with what they had to work with, a little variety. Why couldn’t the first two screens show a different scenario and characters for each driver? Maybe the tunnel could have randomly had Kong either be hostile or friendly followed by the AA angry or friendly (as he is now). Than we also have the execution issues. Why, after all these years of imagery technology advancement do we still have a black wall at the bottom of the tunnel screens? Take a look at Comcast’s own corporate headquarters lobby for an example of extremely hi definition LED panels that could have been installed on those walls to further immerse us in the scene as opposed to taking us right out of the illusion. The transition from tunnel to Kong AA is also not executed well. There is no reason why we should be seeing blank screen when they could have flown in a foliage assembly covering frame and screen during the transition and flown above or below during projection sequence for example.

So many are going crazy over the ride system. In this case I question why did it have to be AGV? Did the trackless setup add anything to the experience? The nice scenery in the Kong AA scene goes underappreciated because the audience is wearing the 3D glasses. These are some of the criticisms that to me make this just an “ok” ride. So many missed opportunities and so many cuts make it a disappointment in my book. Yes the guests love it and yes many in the fan community also love it. That is why we will most likely never see Universal live up to its potential without an IP holder like Warner Brothers forcing them to.

@Teebin does this hold any water?

Ended up riding earlier today! Only waited about 2 hours and was in the third or fourth truck to move that day. No scareactors unfortunately and the motion base in the 360 segment didn't seem to be working. But I do understand that's what comes with soft opening sometimes. Really hoping the actors stick around in the que because it would be a darn shame if they had to get removed due to complaints from families and soccer moms. Over all though, I'm really impressed. The que is practically an attraction in itself!

Here is Whylightbulb's post regarding Kong and other UC projects..
@Teebin does this hold any water?

NO! He is full of *you know the word*. Perhaps they imagined many things long ago, but that does get winnowed down to reasonable and doable. Comcast is not hacking budgets on anything... does anyone really think they needed to rebuild Hulk to keep the status quo? They could have spot welded that thing for years to come.

My opinion is that anyone that types that much text doth protest too much. Tiresome at best.

NO! He is full of *you know the word*. Perhaps they imagined many things long ago, but that does get winnowed down to reasonable and doable. Comcast is not hacking budgets on anything... does anyone really think they needed to rebuild Hulk to keep the status quo? They could have spot welded that thing for years to come.

My opinion is that anyone that types that much text doth protest too much. Tiresome at best.
Perhaps everyone has found one flaw at Universal and is hammering it into the ground? I've felt that way for some time...thanks for the response

:thumbsup:

Among the scenes that got cut: a high-speed (practical not screens) chase through the jungle, a scene where the RV breaks down and our driver gets nabbed, a detour through the insect pit with AAs etc. etc.

Were they cut when somebody took out the measuring tape for the first time?

Go onto the reviews page to hear my disappointing experience and why it's so much better to wait for a better ride than to go through tech rehearsals
Which is why I have not stepped foot onto Universals property for Kong. I' m waiting until it opens. Did the same thing with Potter 1, Potter 2, and Transformers.

Reactions: Cole