Toothsome Chocolate Emporium | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Toothsome Chocolate Emporium

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dessert portions are not as outrageous as the initial wave of pics suggested. The milkshakes are about the size you'd get at Steak & Shake, once you strip away the garnishes. Similarly, friend and I each had a sundae--it's not a Kitchen Sink, probably not even a No Way Jose. It's a 2-scoop sundae with a ton of whipped cream, other garnishes (all of which were high quality). Ice cream was good, not best ever--peanut butter better than vanilla. But presentation was over-the-top, made it feel like you were getting more than just ice cream. Whoever described this as the "Instagram restaurant" nailed it.
Seems like a very great experience you had and most reviews are great (can't wait to try it myself). I did want to zero in on the paragraph I quoted though with a pretty straight forward question: If the Shakes are about the same size as Steak & Shake, what is so good about these that is worth paying so much more for?

image.jpg

Umm... I'm not seeing chocolate bacon immediately. :sick:

Reactions: Mike S
Seems like a very great experience you had and most reviews are great (can't wait to try it myself). I did want to zero in on the paragraph I quoted though with a pretty straight forward question: If the Shakes are about the same size as Steak & Shake, what is so good about these that is worth paying so much more for?

I only saw them, didn't try one, so can't speak to their quality. But I see two possible answers:

(1) the garnish and presentation (for example, a whole cupcake on a par with the $5 at Springs)--these things really are culinary works of art that will have this place trending on Instagram for years.

(2) They're not, get a sundae for $4 less.

No pun intended, but the prices on steaks and shakes are so off-kilter from everything else on the menu that I expect an adjustment soon.

I went yesterday at 4 PM, actually received the very first food that was served....Parmesan Truffle Fries. Best tasting Parmesan Fries I have ever had, although the portion was quite small for the money. The Southern Chicken BLT was excellent, as was the service. Check in was a problem on Day 1, they were not taking reservations, so we were told to just wait and it would be first come first serve. Later, they began taking numbers to text when table were open, as they were only taking 20 goups at a time inside the restaurant to begin. Hopefully this will be sorted out soon.
I had the Peanut Indulgence milkshake, as has been stated the presentation was excellent, but the value was middling. The shake is not very thick at all, I much prefer the Nutella shake at Bread Box, thicker, tastier and half the price.
Overall, I enjoyed the experience very much, actually preferring the food to the shake, which was the opposite of my expectation.

:jaw:

..well it looks like it has great drinks as well so :agree:

I lost my ability to drink a decent amount before feeling it after being pregnant. Too long with no alcohol really kills your ability to hold alcohol. So one drink and I am really feeling it, so second drink is just out of the question.

Now for me, I can never get too much chocolate :)

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
I only saw them, didn't try one, so can't speak to their quality. But I see two possible answers:

(1) the garnish and presentation (for example, a whole cupcake on a par with the $5 at Springs)--these things really are culinary works of art that will have this place trending on Instagram for years.

(2) They're not, get a sundae for $4 less.

No pun intended, but the prices on steaks and shakes are so off-kilter from everything else on the menu that I expect an adjustment soon.

Just going by what I've been told, this is the reasons why the shakes are expensive (and worth it):
  • Comes with souvenir cup
  • Made with a LOT of whatever ingredients are in it (example- the key lime pie shave have a whole slice of pie blended into it as well as one on top)
  • The atmosphere
  • It's a theme park, and you pay more for just about ANYTHING in a theme park
If you want to eat cheap, don't go to a theme park to eat. If you go to theme park expect to pay more and get something out of the ordinary. If you really want to have Steak N Shake (which I love and eat all the time) you can do it just down the road from Universal or back at home in BumbleF Indiana, but most people going to a theme park want something they can't get everywhere else and expect to pay extra to get it.

We arrived at around 5pm and was told it would be about an hour and ten minute wait. I gave them my cell number and we wondered the shop and then went upstairs to the bar. The view of CityWalk from either end of the bar is stunning. The drinks are hipster worthy handcrafted cocktails and small selection of craft beer. I got the text that our table was ready at the one hour and eighteen minute mark.

As far as the steak price, I didn't feel that the filet oscar was overpriced. If it had just been a 6 oz. filet, that price would be high. But with the crab meat, grilled asparagus, and the béarnaise sauce, I felt the price was fair. To compare, at The Boathouse, the 8 oz. filet is $39 and oscar style it $53.

And the Milkshake prices I think are also inline with what would be expected in the theme park resort environment especially when you take into account the ingredients (whole chocolate covered banana, whole cupcakes, etc), the "over the top" presentation, and the souvenir cup. Even at $12+, the people will still line up for them.

Just going by what I've been told, this is the reasons why the shakes are expensive (and worth it):
  • Made with a LOT of whatever ingredients are in it (example- the key lime pie shave have a whole slice of pie blended into it as well as one on top)
  • The atmosphere
If you want to eat cheap, don't go to a theme park to eat. If you go to theme park expect to pay more and get something out of the ordinary. If you really want to have Steak N Shake (which I love and eat all the time) you can do it just down the road from Universal or back at home in BumbleF Indiana, but most people going to a theme park want something they can't get everywhere else and expect to pay extra to get it.
I get this is more of a tourist place and I know people will pay it and the place will be super successful. If I go here it will be for the actual food, which is reasonably priced, ESPECIALLY for theme parks.

As a local, i'm certainly used to paying theme park prices. However, there's no way I can convince myself to pay that much for Sundaes/Shakes when I can go to Beaches & Cream, the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor or even the more expensive Ample Hills Creamery and pay theme park prices for about $4 less than Toothsome.

Oh, and the "Souvenir Cup" that the shakes come in is plastic. So that cost Uni a few cents (and you can't wash it)...

• The atmosphere

If you read my earlier review, not only did I visit the place, I actually gave it a positive review. But I'll never understand white knighting up for a place you haven't even personally visited yet.

As far as the steak price, I didn't feel that the filet oscar was overpriced. If it had just been a 6 oz. filet, that price would be high. But with the crab meat, grilled asparagus, and the béarnaise sauce, I felt the price was fair. To compare, at The Boathouse, the 8 oz. filet is $39 and oscar style it $53.

Doesn't sound like a horrible deal described like that. Still, when they steaks are in the $45 range, and every other entree is less than half that, it looks out of place.

From what I saw some of the shakes are a little more standard than others. So depending on what flavor of shake you like you could luck out and get one that isn't as messy. Probably no change in price though.