Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 161 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that is the question. The original designs looked like a more reasonable length water coaster... I am out of the depths now.

The Volcano looks plenty big enough to me to have a long water coaster, I don't see why people are seeing this volcano is small. The map on the app even has the water coaster going in 5 times and out of the volcano 5 times, let alone the runs (and potential show scenes) that will happen solely inside the volcano.Plus the 2 jump slides that start in the volcano, and the drop slide, and the magma slides, and the lazy rivers.. this is definitely going to be big enough.

The Volcano looks plenty big enough to me to have a long water coaster, I don't see why people are seeing this volcano is small. The map on the app even has the water coaster going in 5 times and out of the volcano 5 times, let alone the runs (and potential show scenes) that will happen solely inside the volcano.Plus the 2 jump slides that start in the volcano, and the drop slide, and the magma slides, and the lazy rivers.. this is definitely going to be big enough.

I echo this! seriously people look at the pictures of workers next to even one segment of steel, that thing is enormous, even my last twitter post shows a guy mid way up the volcano, compare him to the latest section of steel gone on the top and the one piece alone that starts 3/4 of the way up the volcano is at least 5 story high! I think people really haven't got their head round how large that thing is inside. Also go back to the concept images and I'm sure that piece of slide that was installed in the volcano at the very beginning is a part of the water coaster which would mean that thing has to go the entire way in the volcano not to mention it clearly shows it weaving in and out a couple time going towards the wave pool side meaning it has to do some good distance into the volcano in general.

Moving on, some of today's finds:

Mr. Epcot photos:

Looking at the blue slide below the side seem incredibly low however as I have noted before I am convinced these slides are going to be landscaped or rock work covered up to otherwise why would they have made those concrete supports so tall? they would have been steel if they were exposed. Just a thought but seeing how low the side are and how high the concrete is it convinces me more that it will be landscaped around.

And a much anticipated Midway Mayhem update video:

For another good look at the scale of the volcano this video really shows it best so far because there quite a few works on and around the volcano.

Last edited:
Mr. Epcot photos:

Looking at the blue slide below the side seem incredibly low however as I have noted before I am convinced these slides are going to be landscaped or rock work covered up to otherwise why would they have made those concrete supports so tall? they would have been steel if they were exposed. Just a thought but seeing how low the side are and how high the concrete is it convinces me more that it will be landscaped around.

Oh hey, it's that guy I am!

I've been thinking about the view of the slides inside the park, and my thought/feeling is the slides actually around the volcano itself will be more obscured with landscaping, but the peripheral slides will not, and that's OK. The slides around the outside will help create the visual break around the edge of the park and the real world. While in the park, all eyes will really be drawn to the center and the 200' tall mountain that fills your vista. Much like with the Diagon Alley Dragon, people are making assumptions before seeing the finished product and I think when you see it in person your feelings will change.

Dawn Wells is the fun interview in that bunch. :D
images

Reactions: GAcoaster
Also, regarding the Disney mountains vs Volcano Bay mountain debate...I am a Disney fan but I think they are being dethroned as the industry trend setters.

The Volcano is at the CENTER of the park and will be fully experienced on all sides. All of Disney's mountains (except for maybe Big Thunder) are really more backdrops that you are meant to experience from one or two sides, not a full 360 degrees. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are nice 'hills' but they don't seem like mountains to me. They are too broad and low. I may be wrong but I would be surprised if their 'mountain' structures are all steal like Volcano Bay. I bet there is quite a bit of dirt built up in those hills.

Blizzard Beach has the tube slides on the backside but it is not nearly as themed or visual as the front. I always felt like those slides were just thrown in because they realized they didn't have enough attractions.

Now, if Typhoon Lagoon's 'mountain' was a full 360 degree experience I would change my opinion but as it is right now its just a backdrop in a very nicely landscaped water park. Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite water park in Orlando, but I suspect that will change next year.

Also, regarding the Disney mountains vs Volcano Bay mountain debate...I am a Disney fan but I think they are being dethroned as the industry trend setters.

The Volcano is at the CENTER of the park and will be fully experienced on all sides. All of Disney's mountains (except for maybe Big Thunder) are really more backdrops that you are meant to experience from one or two sides, not a full 360 degrees. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are nice 'hills' but they don't seem like mountains to me. They are too broad and low. I may be wrong but I would be surprised if their 'mountain' structures are all steal like Volcano Bay. I bet there is quite a bit of dirt built up in those hills.

Blizzard Beach has the tube slides on the backside but it is not nearly as themed or visual as the front. I always felt like those slides were just thrown in because they realized they didn't have enough attractions.

Now, if Typhoon Lagoon's 'mountain' was a full 360 degree experience I would change my opinion but as it is right now its just a backdrop in a very nicely landscaped water park. Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite water park in Orlando, but I suspect that will change next year.
15103817411_e0275b13b2_b.jpg

tds-map.jpg

When given the proper funds, there's no doubt who the king is. If only it happened more often.

Yeah...you got me...I forgot about that one, since its across the great big blue thingy. Definitely want to visit that place one day! But in my defense my original post was referring to Disney World mountains.

It will be interesting to see how Volcano Bay holds up against Disney Sea's volcano though.

Yeah...you got me...I forgot about that one, since its across the great big blue thingy. Definitely want to visit that place one day! But in my defense my original post was referring to Disney World mountains.

It will be interesting to see how Volcano Bay holds up against Disney Sea's volcano though.
TDS is a beautiful theme park..VB's Volcano will be different, I like how a lot of slides interact with it..

Maybe Oriental Land Co. should bankroll a US park. They seem to understand the concept of spend money to make money.

Since I don't think I'll get to Tokyo any time soon, VB will suffice (especially since it's right down the road from me).

Status
Not open for further replies.