Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 162 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Oriental Land Co. should bankroll a US park. They seem to understand the concept of spend money to make money.

Since I don't think I'll get to Tokyo any time soon, VB will suffice (especially since it's right down the road from me).

Not fully true...they definitely spend money on maintenance more than TWDC but it wasn't until USJ started to beat them in attendance over the summer and fall last year did they start bankrolling new projects such as Arrendale and their NFL and then it was too late as all the construction firms are too busy working on the 2020 Olympics.

Also that volcano is huge and has the luxury of being on a much larger plot of land than VB. I'm sure VB volcano would be much larger if they had more land to work with

Reactions: Mike S
Not fully true...they definitely spend money on maintenance more than TWDC but it wasn't until USJ started to beat them in attendance over the summer and fall last year did they start bankrolling new projects such as Arendelle and their NFL and then it was too late as all the construction firms are too busy working on the 2020 Olympics.

Also that volcano is huge and has the luxury of being on a much larger plot of land than VB. I'm sure VB volcano would be much larger if they had more land to work with
Yeah. I've also read that their relationship with WDI isn't exactly the best which partially explains the lack of projects.

Reactions: quinnmac000
Not fully true...they definitely spend money on maintenance more than TWDC but it wasn't until USJ started to beat them in attendance over the summer and fall last year did they start bankrolling new projects such as Arrendale and their NFL and then it was too late as all the construction firms are too busy working on the 2020 Olympics.
The fact that they bankrolled Tokyo Disney Sea shows there willingness to spend big. That park was a HUGE gamble for them with no recognizable Disney properties in most of it.

So Universal opened "training" for Travel Agents on Volcano Bay recently and here's some of what it said:

- 18 unique experiences
- 28 acre park
- 3 Highly Themed Restaurants featuring "Signature Food and Dining options"
- Describes attractions as "Radically innovative" and "Thrilling"
- Krakatau... Waterfall effects by day, Blazing lava by night
- "The rear of the volcano is open to reveal 3 distinctive body slides that start off with self releasing trap doors"
- Wave Village... Wave pool, beach, and "sparkling leisure pool" with a thrilling body slide that passes through it.
- River Village... home to 2 immersive children's play areas, raft rides and hidden river (lazy river) that will pass through "the volcano's hidden caves"
- Rainforest Village... Easter Island inspired tube slides, exhilarating family raft rides, and a high speed mat race. Guests will also float along "Central Florida's only Torrent Action River". The body slides that launch guests into the air will be here too. The area will also feature a "state of the art, marquee attraction found only at Volcano Bay" (Water Coaster)

They also make sure to keep beating it in that it's their third park and to call it a Water Theme Park.

Last edited:
So Universal opened "training" for Travel Agents on Volcano Bay recently and here's some of what it said:

- 18 unique experiences
- 28 acre park
- 3 Highly Themed Restaurants featuring "Signature Food and Dining options"
- Describes attractions as "Radically innovative" and "Thrilling"
- Krakatau... Waterfall effects by day, Blazing lava by night
- "The rear of the volcano is open to reveal 3 distinctive body slides that start off with self releasing trap doors"
- Wave Village... Wave pool, beach, and "sparkling leisure pool" with a thrilling body slide that passes through it.
- River Village... home to 2 immersive children's play areas, raft rides and hidden river (lazy river) that will pass through "the volcano's hidden caves"
- Rainforest Village... Easter Island inspired tube slides, exhilarating family raft rides, and a high speed mat race. Guests will also float along "Central Florida's only Torrent Action River". The body slides that launch guests into the air will be here too. The area will also feature a "state of the art, marquee attraction found only at Volcano Bay" (Water Coaster)

They also make sure to keep beating it in that it's their third park and to call it a Water Theme Park.

Good solid update. I'm curious to see what the height of the trap door slides will be.

Reactions: Joel
BB 36 acres. TL 34 acres. Aquatica 30 acres(minus parking & retention pond)...Those numbers are from the Orange County Property Appraiser website . VB is supposed to be apx.30-32 acres.

Thanks. So this will basically be the same size as the others.

Looking at the list of rides for this park again... I can't wait for it to be open.

BB 36 acres. TL 34 acres. Aquatica 30 acres(minus parking & retention pond)...Those numbers are from the Orange County Property Appraiser website . VB is supposed to be apx.30-32 acres.
Funny thing. I was just looking at my notes. I do a posty note whenever I read something important so I don't forget it.So checking the posty note, I see that info was posted by our own Mike S. on WDW Magic a year or so ago. So credit to Mike S. for the research. :thumbsup:

WHAT? That is actually part of the design??? To leave a hole? I was told two years ago that it was a kind of previz reveal.

I don't care for this idea at all...

I suppose I will have to sue...

They are announcing to the world (at least those who traverse I-4) that "this is a waterpark, look at our slides". Great marketing and now that W n W is closing they have the kind of impact the mouse does not have with their parks. It is an in your face statement.

Well, I am still going to stick my nose in the air... and go to a marvelous party instead. ;)
Spiderman-I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
Funny...having done some number crunching and using acreage calculators, the actual used park space in Typhoon and Blizzard was closer to 25 acres. Same goes with Aquatica. I'm curious exactly how much of Volcano Bay's 28 acres is truly accessible to guests.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
WHAT? That is actually part of the design??? To leave a hole? I was told two years ago that it was a kind of previz reveal.

I don't care for this idea at all...

I suppose I will have to sue...
I don't like this design idea either. Much cooler keeping the volcano almost entirely enclosed.

Also, regarding the Disney mountains vs Volcano Bay mountain debate...I am a Disney fan but I think they are being dethroned as the industry trend setters.

The Volcano is at the CENTER of the park and will be fully experienced on all sides. All of Disney's mountains (except for maybe Big Thunder) are really more backdrops that you are meant to experience from one or two sides, not a full 360 degrees. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are nice 'hills' but they don't seem like mountains to me. They are too broad and low. I may be wrong but I would be surprised if their 'mountain' structures are all steal like Volcano Bay. I bet there is quite a bit of dirt built up in those hills.

Blizzard Beach has the tube slides on the backside but it is not nearly as themed or visual as the front. I always felt like those slides were just thrown in because they realized they didn't have enough attractions.

Now, if Typhoon Lagoon's 'mountain' was a full 360 degree experience I would change my opinion but as it is right now its just a backdrop in a very nicely landscaped water park. Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite water park in Orlando, but I suspect that will change next year.
Uh hon...
dsc_0219.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.