Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 164 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an aerial pic. They actually use extreme forced perspective at this park as you'll notice. The Volcano is very small, but up high so it looks big from below. The wooded structure in the center forefront (by the lazy river) is what I was referring to. That's where the wave generator is.
orlando-themeparks-022.jpg
Force perspective for sure! The very top of the peak that the Miss Tilly sits on is only 80'-90' feet high. Same thing for Summit Plummet. The actual 'mountain' only goes 90' feet up...then up 30 feet of stairs to the top.

Krakatau is going to be more than double the height of both Disney waterpark 'mountains'.

I can't remember Blizzard since it's been about 5 years since i've been there, but I was just at Typhoon 2 months ago and it's sort of like Everest. There's slight theming, but it's incredibly obvious you're up against the backside of them. The lazy river also runs right behind there as well.
The backside of the mountain at Blizzard Beach is just trees and shrubs and grass. There is no snowy theming. There are three slides on the back end, and the lazy river goes all the way around the mountain there, but the supposed story is that since the snow is 'melting', that's why there's water slides instead of ski slopes and the snow theming just kind of stops.

In Typhoon you can't even see the backside of the mountain. The mountain is located at the very back park boundary, so the closest you can get is the sides. I know the peak is basically themed all the way around, but not the mount in all it's entirety.

Force perspective for sure! The very top of the peak that the Miss Tilly sits on is only 80'-90' feet high. Same thing for Summit Plummet. The actual 'mountain' only goes 90' feet up...then up 30 feet of stairs to the top.

Krakatau is going to be more than double the height of both Disney waterpark 'mountains'.
Krakatau will be a true park icon that will be a continual viewing and talking point. A veritable marketing giant.

Errr i think what makes the disney water parks unique is not how tall their respective Mountain/Volcano is but how wide and immersive they are. On blizzard beach you walk on the surface of the mountain and can even take a chair lift up, same idea with typhoon lagoon, the park is the mountain. With volcano bay I'm imagining you wont be able to walk on the surface, the mountain in volcano bay is not the park.

Errr i think what makes the disney water parks unique is not how tall their respective Mountain/Volcano is but how wide and immersive they are. On blizzard beach you walk on the surface of the mountain and can even take a chair lift up, same idea with typhoon lagoon, the park is the mountain. With volcano bay I'm imagining you wont be able to walk on the surface, the mountain in volcano bay is not the park.

ohh I totally agree. Volcano Bay is really missing the Disney mark on immersive experience. :look: Now where is that sarcasm tag

From the concept art it looked as if you can go inside of an observation tower (or queue) inside..

Well for one, the hydromagnetic mammoth, a massive Tornado, a multi-behemoth bowl ride, and something along the lines of Voyage to the Center of the earth from Water World in Denver.

That would make me a very happy person.

Seaworld did bring a Hybrid Tornado24/TornadoWall slide to FL.... Too bad it was not at Aquatica and they installed it at Adventure Island.

What I find sad is that Universal did not save the Behemoth Bowl and Tornado45 from Wet n Wild. Properly rethemed, they would have been key high capacity attractions at Volcano Bay.

Personally, I am looking forward to the TornadoWall and multiple FlyingSaucer slides at the new park.

Reactions: Journey_On
From the concept art it looked as if you can go inside of an observation tower (or queue) inside..
My point being is the mountains in the Disney water parks are big/wide enough to walk on the surface of them, they aren't steep and narrow like how Everest, matterhorn, and the soon to be volcano in Volcano bay will be. I'm aware there are attractions inside the volcano however when i said "the volcano/mountain isnt the park" at Volcano bay and the "volcano/mountain is the park" at the disney water parks I meant that Disney's water park IS the mountain, blizzard beach is all uphill, so is most of typhoon lagoon. Volcano bay is a narrower and steeper approach to creating a mountain, which you cannot walk on the surface of the volcano/mountain (Thus you will have to go inside of the volcano) like you can in the Disney water parks.

Reactions: bob albert
What I find sad is that Universal did not save the Behemoth Bowl and Tornado45 from Wet n Wild. Properly rethemed, they would have been key high capacity attractions at Volcano Bay.

I totally agree! Storm is a fun ride. My boyfriend's favorite. We wish there was a way to bring it over to VB.

Semi-related, there is a decent view of the volcano from the top of the Storm queue.

Seaworld did bring a Hybrid Tornado24/TornadoWall slide to FL.... Too bad it was not at Aquatica and they installed it at Adventure Island.

Personally, I am looking forward to the TornadoWall and multiple FlyingSaucer slides at the new park.
Those slides could be packed up and relocated to the new park, and personally I wish they would do that...and just retheme them to fit Volcano Bay. It would save them money and add more capacity to a park that is sure to need it. Disco, Black Hole, and Brain Wash were some of my favorite water slides anywhere.

Reactions: Journey_On
Those slides could be packed up and relocated to the new park, and personally I wish they would do that...and just retheme them to fit Volcano Bay. It would save them money and add more capacity to a park that is sure to need it. Disco, Black Hole, and Brain Wash were some of my favorite water slides anywhere.
I imagine that would've happened in the Blackstone days...If a waterpark even got built haha

Reactions: JoeCamel
I would guess he has a high end drone with a high end camera looking at the way it was moving about, no idea on the camera as drones can have a huge array of stuff attached to them.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Mike S
Awesome video:

Fantastic video, we are not going to get a perspective like that from any photos, I have been surprised it has taken this long for someone to fly a drone over there and get some footage. Standing at the top of that thing is going to feel incredibly high! I also notice many many concrete supports and unused steel supports within the volcano suggesting plenty more slides to be going in. I think they may have left the back open for people on the slides to really see how high they are and get a view out, as cool as it would be to have it all enclosed you wouldn't get a sense of height in slides enclosed in the volcano!

Every time I watch this video I spot something new in the volcano, really want to screen shot and point it all out but can't be bothered as there is far too much to notice! Can't stop watching it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.