Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 155 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's nothing new. I consider HHN fans to be one of the most rabid fanbases, sometimes being on the same level of fandom of extreme Disney fans. I partly believe that some of it has to to do with the fact that HHN is a blank space each year. Fans hope whatever issues a previous year had is rectified the following year.

With rides, shows, etc.. it's announced, people have opinions, and move on because it is what is and those attractions aren't going anywhere. With HHN, there's a sort of ownership with it; especially because HHN at one point was considered a more local event (tech still is, but you get my point).

The only fanbase I've seen come close was the Adventurers Club. (Hundreds of people lined up outside the final night, knowing they would never get in and with open comedy shows literally steps away, just to say they were there.) Another strong local fanbase with a sense of ownership. And nitpicky as hell, always felt bad for new actors.

That said, I see a lot of the same faces in Finns every year that I saw back when Harry Potter was still in the Tri-Wizard tournament. And I've heard more than once HHN and Mardi Gras $$ are what kept UOR afloat for years pre-Hogsmeade. I don't see a separate UO forum for any other holiday events. Maybe some nitpicky fans is the price you pay for a beloved property.

The only fanbase I've seen come close was the Adventurers Club. (Hundreds of people lined up outside the final night, knowing they would never get in and with open comedy shows literally steps away, just to say they were there.) Another strong local fanbase with a sense of ownership. And nitpicky as hell, always felt bad for new actors.

That said, I see a lot of the same faces in Finns every year that I saw back when Harry Potter was still in the Tri-Wizard tournament. And I've heard more than once HHN and Mardi Gras $$ are what kept UOR afloat for years pre-Hogsmeade. I don't see a separate UO forum for any other holiday events. Maybe some nitpicky fans is the price you pay for a beloved property.

Aiello and the media teams have embraced a more "band and fans" approach than typical consumerist approach. How many times do you see Disney entertainment and managers off work at MNSSHP?

These events, conventions, and locals kept the parks alive. While I believe some complaints are hilariously specific and pointless (favorite last year was people complaining scare zones didn't have logos on day one of the announcement) I think Universal does see, to an extent, that those who supported you in the darkest times are the ones to keep happy. This is pretty easy when so much love and appreciation is put into the end product by the creative team.

Aiello and the media teams have embraced a more "band and fans" approach than typical consumerist approach. How many times do you see Disney entertainment and managers off work at MNSSHP?

These events, conventions, and locals kept the parks alive. While I believe some complaints are hilariously specific and pointless (favorite last year was people complaining scare zones didn't have logos on day one of the announcement) I think Universal does see, to an extent, that those who supported you in the darkest times are the ones to keep happy. This is pretty easy when so much love and appreciation is put into the end product by the creative team.
I think most of them complain with the best intentions, if that makes any sense.

Anything that can be even slightly considered insensitive is covered.
Many things are also even removed. This year however it seems they kind of toned down the scare zones. From photos from the park today it appears a lot of things aren't even going to be covered.

When it comes to the nitpicky fans, sometimes they do make legitimate points. Case in point they're not wrong that things like the websites ain't what they used to be. (Even though ultimately, the website is just a marketing/info tool. It really doesn't matter once you're inside the event.)

However, there are definitely times where those fans are wearing rose coloured glasses to the past. Somewhere else someone made a comment about how imaginative the event was in the past, and used HHN 15 as a example. Their quote was as follows "Imaginative is being able to create 8 amazing ORIGINAL haunted houses, scarezones and even a live show whose story lines all coincide with each other (HHN 15)."

Yeah, 15 was clever in having mostly everything connected to a main overall story. But something really stood out in that quote.

8 amazing original haunted houses. Let's see, Body Collectors, Demon Cantina, Terror Mines, Where Evil Hides, The Skool, Blood Ruins and Cold, Blind, Terror. An' anyone who went to HHN 15 could tell you that line up was far from "amazing". For me there were more so-so/bad houses then great/good ones that year. Case in point.

Body Collectors - Easily the best house of the event, a HHN Classic.
Demon Cantina - Definitely a good From Dusk Til Dawn house. (Which also kinda challenges the original aspect of things since this was heavily inspired by FDTD.)

Where Evil Hides - A nice idea, but a so-so house.
Terror Mines - While amazing in concept, this house was a wild card in quality. It was truly dependant on weather or not you got the helmet or not. An' if you didn't have the helmet, it was also dependant on the nearby person who did.

The Skool - Definitely a miss, they didn't get this concept right until 2008.
Blood Ruins - This one went in the forgettably bad territory.
Cold, Blind, Terror - It was none of the above in the title, so this was terrible.

2 great/good houses and at least 4 so-so/bad houses, not a good line up. Also when you add in Terror Mines on either side, that's 7 houses, not 8. I know Where Evil Hides had two routes, but that was so they had a ADA accessable route, it was still the same house. The only other way they could count the number of houses as 8 is if they count Rat Race...that outdoor chain link maze in the Boneyard. If so, that doesn't help the house line up whatsoever since as Drubov mentioned in a particular video, that's something HHN wants you to forget!

It's one thing to remember the past, but you also gotta' acknowledge that not everything was golden in those iconic years. After all those "Best" years had the WORST houses the event has ever had.

Apparently the new paint for lunatics playgroud 3d can make things look like they pop out a foot or more.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 28