Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 154 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Welcome to internet fandom, son!!!

Seriously though, this is why I always try to keep my responses positive. Kind of the "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" mindset.

The thing I found funny about your post is that the few examples you gave all turned out to be untrue.

-No Chance on the billboard: Some do actually have her on it. There are several versions probably based off of what they think will sell the event to the clientele that frequents that road.

-No Chance on the commercial: Whoops. She's added to the ORL one, just not the Coke focused one.

-Merchandise: Time will tell on this one. That's just the main logo that we've seen, and it's been said that we'll have the largest selection of merch this year. I'm sure there will be plenty of options.

No Chance on the billboard: Some do actually have her on it. There are several versions probably based off of what they think will sell the event to the clientele that frequents that road.
Actually I just drove I-4 from Disney to Longwood yesterday and she's on all the digital billboards. I saw the other billboard once and saw the Chance one 4+ times.

Ultimately though it's all just marketing. Billboards, park entrance decorations, websites, commercials and all that stuff will mean absolutely nothing to most of us in a week when we're too busy enjoying the event to care.

Nah...at that point the other board that shall not be named will have a whole other list of things they can pick apart from the event.

I certainly don't mean to derail this thread, but I find it so crazy the insane amount of nitpicky criticism this event is getting over such small details. I mean, I guess that this is what a hardcore fanbase does, but I feel like people get SO riled up and dismissive.

Everyone gets so excited about the reveals and speculation, and now that it's all out I feel like so much of I'm reading is constant criticism and complete dismissal - not necessarily here, mind you, but in the wide world of HHN discussions across the board.

The billboard doesn't have Chance, this event will suck. Chance isn't in the awful quality youtube commercial. The merchandise is all "extreme close ups".

Again, not trying to suggest that OU is the problem, but it just seems like things are so positive and exciting, then immediately ultra-critical and super dismissive. I'm a huge fan of the event.. is it crazy to think I might want to wait until I actually attend it before I tear it to shreds? Sorry if this is an aimless ramble, I just find it a little hypocritical and frustrating.

At the end of the day this sort of negativity can be found in any fandom. How many times have people praised a band's earlier work only to poo poo what they are churning out now or complained about the latest comic book movie because it was not the interpretation they wanted?

I try to keep my expectations low each year so that hopefully the event can surprise me. Are there things from past events that have been cut that I miss? Absoulutely! Will the event "suck" without these missing things? No. Do I wish we could have some of these little touches back? Yes.

It really is just how any fan community is and, to the newer members or attendees, it can come off as cruel. Most of the harshest critics either love the event or loved it once and would like to see it return to the event they fell in love with.

HEY! They showed video. I can share a picture now.

14232463_10207530480964096_4004154302895225759_n_zpsayjv4hkb.jpg

Need some advice guys. The few times I've attended HHN in the past, I did Stay & Scream, so I had no need to go through the HHN entrance gates. This year I'm going to pop over on a few evenings after dark. I'm staying on site at Sapphire & Portofino. So, I need to know what are the most crowded entrance times, so I can avoid those times. Also, is there a separate line for on site hotel guests. Thanking you in advance for your comments. :)

They do tend to have an entrance for on site guest, but I do not know how late it is open. The entrance is to the far right when facing the entrance (it is towards the walkway to the HRH), it is the same entrance used for the AP event if you check in outside for the AP event....I assume on AP event nights it closes when the AP event starts and then re-opens for on site guest when the main gates open.

I am making many assumptions here, so one more. I would guess that it stays open during the time frame when the main gates traditionally have the largest crowds.

Reactions: Mad Dog
merch at universal store online looks beauteous though i can't wait to get there n see what else they have.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 23
@Mad Dog, looking at the HHN site under FL RES on site hotel offers, one of the benefits listed is that the exclusive entrance is open until 8 PM, so my assumption is that the lines at the front gate get a bit slower around 8 PM.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I certainly don't mean to derail this thread, but I find it so crazy the insane amount of nitpicky criticism this event is getting over such small details. I mean, I guess that this is what a hardcore fanbase does, but I feel like people get SO riled up and dismissive.

Everyone gets so excited about the reveals and speculation, and now that it's all out I feel like so much of I'm reading is constant criticism and complete dismissal - not necessarily here, mind you, but in the wide world of HHN discussions across the board.

The billboard doesn't have Chance, this event will suck. Chance isn't in the awful quality youtube commercial. The merchandise is all "extreme close ups".

Again, not trying to suggest that OU is the problem, but it just seems like things are so positive and exciting, then immediately ultra-critical and super dismissive. I'm a huge fan of the event.. is it crazy to think I might want to wait until I actually attend it before I tear it to shreds? Sorry if this is an aimless ramble, I just find it a little hypocritical and frustrating.

It's nothing new. I consider HHN fans to be one of the most rabid fanbases, sometimes being on the same level of fandom of extreme Disney fans. I partly believe that some of it has to to do with the fact that HHN is a blank space each year. Fans hope whatever issues a previous year had is rectified the following year.

With rides, shows, etc.. it's announced, people have opinions, and move on because it is what is and those attractions aren't going anywhere. With HHN, there's a sort of ownership with it; especially because HHN at one point was considered a more local event (tech still is, but you get my point).

Take for example HHN 26 merch. Fans have complained that it's not as good as last year. Well, it's not last year. It's this year. It's going to have it's own identity. Funnily enough, people seem to forget they complained last year about the "Blood" shirts, Chucky on the Tervis.......

It's nothing new. I consider HHN fans to be one of the most rabid fanbases, sometimes being on the same level of fandom of extreme Disney fans. I partly believe that some of it has to to do with the fact that HHN is a blank space each year. Fans hope whatever issues a previous year had is rectified the following year.

With rides, shows, etc.. it's announced, people have opinions, and move on because it is what is and those attractions aren't going anywhere. With HHN, there's a sort of ownership with it; especially because HHN at one point was considered a more local event (tech still is, but you get my point).

Take for example HHN 26 merch. Fans have complained that it's not as good as last year. Well, it's not last year. It's this year. It's going to have it's own identity. Funnily enough, people seem to forget they complained last year about the "Blood" shirts, Chucky on the Tervis.......
I think it's a twisted form of compassion.
The fans just want to see perfection, so they're going to nitpick and judge the smallest things.
Rabid fans will be rabid.

I agree with all of this. I would add I think with the temporary and always changing nature of HHN there is a lot of reconstructive memory going on. It's very easy to reminisce on a past year and build it up in your mind. For many people they only went a few times and never had a chance to see things repeatedly they never have the chance to start to see the negatives and they are certainly far more likely to forget them. For example someone who went to Universal once as a small child will have spectacular memories of E.T., however someone who has lived in the area and has ridden it consistently for 25+ years could easily point out it's flaws. In any case the positive side is it takes a passionate fan to nitpick and criticize, the fact that this is an issue with HHN is a testament to it's success.