Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 152 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
King himself has always blocked any use of his work for haunted houses and events like HHN. No one seems to know the reason.

That can probably explain why the hell The Dark Tower took so long for development of the film to go full steam..

;)

Years ago (pre-TWD), an extensive survey described a Stephen King "take-over" of the event. Nothing ever came of it tho--who knows if lack of interest or inability to come to terms.

Strangely enough, I have a slight feeling that if we ever get King, it will be next year to coincide with the reboot of IT..perhaps i'm wrong, but it's just something that would potentially make sense (although it matters on if the new reboot has enough material to garner a house..).

King has been asked. Numerous times. From all over the industry. That's very different from Rowling, who hadn't been asked, and who has already given attraction rights to a theme park.

King has been burned by adaptions a few times (most famously The Shining). And haunts are notoriously hit-or-miss. It's entirely his prerogative to avoid that from happening again.

Now, if anyone could convince King to give up haunt rights it would be Universal. Ironically, because of Rowling.

King has been asked. Numerous times. From all over the industry. That's very different from Rowling, who hadn't been asked, and who has already given attraction rights to a theme park.
Well that's all rumors, the point is listening to and believing something isn't possible based on rumors leads us to the same conclusions we have drawn in the past that can often be wrong.

As you said if anyone can do it would be Universal. People also change their minds over time. Nothing is really off the table.

My girlfriend decided that she wanted a different shirt than the one I made for myself so I decided to add Chance to hers. Still better than that awful red lettering!
Chance%20HHN_zpstihbb3xo.jpg

Reactions: JoeCamel
Well that's all rumors, the point is listening to and believing something isn't possible based on rumors leads us to the same conclusions we have drawn in the past that can often be wrong.

As you said if anyone can do it would be Universal. People also change their minds over time. Nothing is really off the table.
I attended a QnA several years ago. He did mention that he'd turned down offers for haunts, but wouldn't say why. That much, at least, isn't rumor.

King himself has always blocked any use of his work for haunted houses and events like HHN. No one seems to know the reason.

Probably the same reason JK Rowling refuses to allow her characters into HHN.;)

King has been burned by adaptions a few times (most famously The Shining). And haunts are notoriously hit-or-miss. It's entirely his prerogative to avoid that from happening again.

Now, if anyone could convince King to give up haunt rights it would be Universal. Ironically, because of Rowling.

Which is really weird because Most of the movies or tv shows based on his work tend to be so so... only a couple have been really great, most of them are just, okay.
so its kinda funny that all these so so movies are made but he will never allow any of his stories to be in haunted houses lol
I think there might be another reason, maybe he doesn't want people to be that close to his creations? maybe he hates haunts in general?

Which is really weird because Most of the movies or tv shows based on his work tend to be so so... only a couple have been really great, most of them are just, okay.
so its kinda funny that all these so so movies are made but he will never allow any of his stories to be in haunted houses lol
I think there might be another reason, maybe he doesn't want people to be that close to his creations? maybe he hates haunts in general?

With that said about the adaptations not living up to the printed word I think you have the answer. King is very cerebral and creates the terror in your mind. Certainly a master at that and I guess he knows it will not be the same in a house.

Reactions: Lucky Planet