Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 151 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've been warning people since 26 spec started. 26 will not be as "grand" as 25 because it is just another year now and try not to compare. It still may be a great event, but not in the same capacity as last year.
Yeah I agree completely, when I heard Chance was the icon I thought it might have a shot at topping last year. Most of that excitement has been put in check now for me. I think in some ways it will top last year but overall it won't. I'm okay with that as 25 was something really special and I'm happy it will remain something special.

Equip the employees with pepper spray.
Haha, somehow I don't think that would turn out well.

One thing a lot of people don't seem to realize is any employee in any park in any situation can make the decision to press charges for assault even if the theme park operator doesn't want to. A lot of people seem to forget employees are real people with real rights of their own and somehow think that the company won't want to upset a customer. To its credit it seems Universal has done a great job of backing up their employees especially at HHN. I've seen some real horror stories at Disney.

Haha, somehow I don't think that would turn out well.

One thing a lot of people don't seem to realize is any employee in any park in any situation can make the decision to press charges for assault even if the theme park operator doesn't want to. A lot of people seem to forget employees are real people with real rights of their own and somehow think that the company won't want to upset a customer. To its credit it seems Universal has done a great job of backing up their employees especially at HHN. I've seen some real horror stories at Disney.
Name some stories, I'm interested.

That's not really a good comparison at all as those other icons were created as icons. Chance came to icon status through appearances in shows, that where the character was born and how people expect to see her. The opportunity to expand on that with a scare zone and house is great, but take out the show element and it becomes an empty shell of an icon.
You say that like Universal cares. All any icon is is a tool for a corporation. Any additional attachment assigned to it by the fans is a bonus, but it's still the corporation's. The fans don't own it. The fans don't get any say in it's use. The fact Chance is even getting acknowledged by the corporation as a whole is the closest to fan-service I think people can expect.

And, again, Chance was a side-kick. There was never a guarantee the character could carry a full-scale production like The Arrival by herself. Isn't it safer to NOT give her a show, then risk ruining her?

You say that like Universal cares. All any icon is is a tool for a corporation. Any additional attachment assigned to it by the fans is a bonus, but it's still the corporation's. The fans don't own it. The fans don't get any say in it's use. The fact Chance is even getting acknowledged by the corporation as a whole is the closest to fan-service I think people can expect.

And, again, Chance was a side-kick. There was never a guarantee the character could carry a full-scale production like The Arrival by herself. Isn't it safer to NOT give her a show, then risk ruining her?
I think Universal does care. There's a lot of fan service in the event. At the same time every time I saw Carnival of Carnage last year there wasn't just a handful of hard core HHN fans standing around watching it. I think you're assumption that what we like as fans isn't also appreciated and desired by the general public is wrong. It's no TWD sure but it's up there. As far as Chance I think the safer route would be to make her an icon and simply give her a show, nothing else. That's what people have seen and likely expect, even the general public.

Reactions: Freddyglove
I think Universal does care. There's a lot of fan service in the event. At the same time every time I saw Carnival of Carnage last year there wasn't just a handful of hard core HHN fans standing around watching it. I think you're assumption that what we like as fans isn't also appreciated and desired by the general public is wrong. It's no TWD sure but it's up there. As far as Chance I think the safer route would be to make her an icon and simply give her a show, nothing else. That's what people have seen and likely expect, even the general public.

We can't lump in Chance's pull with Jack, because everyone was there for Jack last year. There's still a good amount of people who don't even know who Chance is. Either way, I won't say Universal flat out doesn't care; but they know they still have your money at end of the day - Chance show or not.

We can't lump in Chance's pull with Jack, because everyone was there for Jack last year. There's still a good amount of people who don't even know who Chance is. Either way, I won't say Universal flat out doesn't care; but they know they still have your money at end of the day - Chance show or not.
Yes and no, it varies a bit. For example I have friends who last year was their very first HHN, they had no idea who Jack was at all. This year however they are a little excited about Chance being back. A whole lot of people saw the show last year, so on the whole Chance even as a sidekick last year is in many ways more well known this year then Jack may have been before last years event.

Anniversary or not, this year is looking amazing to me in terms of IP's used and scare zones.

I agree the SZs look amazing--I honestly expect them to outshine the houses.

The IPs in the houses, tho, are starting to enter "Your Mileage May Vary" territory. Yes, after 5 years it's played, but when HHN first secured the rights to TWD, it was the #1 show on TV. Not cable, not genre shows, all TV. That's a huge "get" compared to a cult show like AHS. At the same time, I know Leatherface and even Krampus have their followings, but neither has embedded himself in pop culture like Freddy or Jason (or the Xenomorph or Predator or even the original Scream killer for that matter).

While HHN had a good run relying heavily on IPs, I think they're running out of horror IPs that cross over to mainstream pop culture. This year besides The Exorcist, you have a second tier classic, a box office dud, a fading cult favorite TV show and a hit show that seems to have outstayed its welcome. There's a reason the most anticipated house seems to be Ghost Town.

Yes and no, it varies a bit. For example I have friends who last year was their very first HHN, they had no idea who Jack was at all. This year however they are a little excited about Chance being back. A whole lot of people saw the show last year, so on the whole Chance even as a sidekick last year is in many ways more well known this year then Jack may have been before last years event.
I think comparisons between Jack, the other Icons, and Chance are a little tough to make. Jack built horror nights so he is on a whole different tier and on top of that the actor that plays him has a ton of stage presence and has done many shows for Universal. Chance may be somewhat new and minor when it comes to the Icons but the actress is also along the same lines as Jack's, that and her and Jack did such a good job last year together. It may not be normal for Icons to get a show, but for her to carry a show is definitely something she could do.

Reactions: s8film40
The way Chance is basically being used identically to the Usher. But here's the thing, only two icons before her have gotten a house and a zone: Jack and the Caretaker. Usher, Storyteller, and Mary only got houses. Director got a house and pop-up show. Jack has been the only icon with a full-fledged production and even that took four returns to get.

what was Jack's zone?

I agree the SZs look amazing--I honestly expect them to outshine the houses.

The IPs in the houses, tho, are starting to enter "Your Mileage May Vary" territory. Yes, after 5 years it's played, but when HHN first secured the rights to TWD, it was the #1 show on TV. Not cable, not genre shows, all TV. That's a huge "get" compared to a cult show like AHS. At the same time, I know Leatherface and even Krampus have their followings, but neither has embedded himself in pop culture like Freddy or Jason (or the Xenomorph or Predator or even the original Scream killer for that matter).

While HHN had a good run relying heavily on IPs, I think they're running out of horror IPs that cross over to mainstream pop culture. This year besides The Exorcist, you have a second tier classic, a box office dud, a fading cult favorite TV show and a hit show that seems to have outstayed its welcome. There's a reason the most anticipated house seems to be Ghost Town.

there are still many IPs they can use but not to the level of Walking Dead or Jason,Freddy, Leatherface etc. They could get a little more obscure characters or movies. They can make a Pumpkinhead house :lol:
But yes it feels like they might run out of the most iconic ones and they will be stuck with doing sequel houses like Halloween 2 or they will just have to keep doing houses based on movies coming out now like Purge and Insidious regardless if they are loved or not

I would not be surprised if they end up doing a Game of Thrones house lol.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Imagine à maze inspired by Stephen King "It". So much potential !
In the book (and even in the Tv Movie), Pennywise the clown take many form like, mummy, werewolf, giant statue !
They could theme the whole thing like a sewer !

Maybe if the upcoming remake is positive !!

Years ago (pre-TWD), an extensive survey described a Stephen King "take-over" of the event. Nothing ever came of it tho--who knows if lack of interest or inability to come to terms.