Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos

You people legit catch one thing and pick at it. I'm not rating it on wait time. I'm saying that the ride isn't what the wait time should be. I'm rating the ride on how good it is. And the wait time shouldn't be what it is compared to the ride.

It's a brand new ride, of course it's going to have extended wait times. You're going to need to give it a year before it balances out to what it should be.

You can have 4 - the 360 room is sealed off at both ends by doors that slide open and close, so you can have one in outdoor/kate, one in 360, one in animatronic kong and one in load/unload

You divided it up a bit differently than I had in my head but it is pretty much as I had imagined it. Back when I had more insight, they could hardly get two to work at the same time. :stun:

The edges of the screens being visible are totally a matter of where you sit. Also there are very few rides that would be "worth" a two hour wait. Tower of Terror is damn near perfect imo and I still wouldn't wait two hours for it. It's the price you pay to get on a brand new ride. I waited 90 minutes when I went on Kong and was completely satisfied.
You should be able to have a good experience from EVERY seat.

You should be able to have a good experience from EVERY seat.
I know that. I have the same pet peeve with Soarin'. Just stating the facts.

On Soarin' it's potentially even more limiting because imo the only really good seats are in the top glider in the middle row. No feet above you and no screen edges.

Last edited:
I hope Avatar's Flight of Passage gets around this issue.
The fact that they have four theaters is making me hope they take advantage of that to have less seats shoved into each theater around the edges. So, less capacity per theater but still about the same (or more) capacity overall.

For a large duration of the ride you are in 1 room, which is not convenient because you can only have 2 vehicles running max. It does fit a lot of people, but 2 cars is like what even. Also adding if it does take place in that one double screened room. That room should be spectacular. Which it isn't. Biggest complaint is that I can see the top and bottom of the screen. The screen should go from the damn roof to the floor. All that back and forth action should transition with something like curved or sphere walls coving a little bit of the roof.

Also everyone is complaining about seeing the edges the screen. Where I sat was on the edge, and so I saw the screen. I'm gonna complain about it. Other people who sit on the edge are gonna see it as well. All because you don't agree with the edges being a problem, doesn't mean it's not a problem.

The top to bottom screens was really my only issue. I think they should have had the screen go all the way around the top (or at least until every seat was unable to see where they end). The only problem is where they would put the projectors, they need to be somewhere and that somewhere is up top.

The top to bottom screens was really my only issue. I think they should have had the screen go all the way around the top (or at least until every seat was unable to see where they end). The only problem is where they would put the projectors, they need to be somewhere and that somewhere is up top.
Exactly :agree:

I liked the ride, but thought it was middle of the pack in terms of rides at IOA. I think the main issue is that universal made a ride that has to carry so many guests at once. It limits how targeted and consistant they can make an experience.

Kong AA was great. Story like everyone says was pretty meh.

We rode it for the first time this past weekend. We were able to get in 3 rides - 2 with EP, and one walk through the standby queue. We got the outside path each time and had a different driver for all three runs.

We tried at least 3 more times, but the ride was either down or had just reopened and had 45 - 60 minute waits in the Express line.

The facade is really well done. We loved the mountains in the background that looked huge, far away, and misty - and are really none of those things.

The EP queue is simple but you do get to see a bit of the witch animatronic. The one time we got through the regular queue, there wasn't much of a line, so we basically walked at a medium pace. We did not see the worm animatronic - did we miss a room in the queue?

The ride itself - we really enjoyed it.

The first ride, we were in the back 1/3 of the car all the way on the left side. We had great views of the screens, and an okay view of kong at the end. I was on the outside seat and could easily see the screen edges, but I was also looking for them. I don't mind seeing those edges as I end up looking around to see how the rides are built as much as I watch the video.

The second ride, we were in row 4, I think, and over on the far right. Great view of kong, but a lot of the screen action was just behind us, so we had to turn.

Last ride, we got row 2 on the far right. This was the first time we really got to see the driver. Other than that, it was a lousy row to be in. There were a lot of screamers on this run through and it made the overall experience much better.

It's not the best ride in the parks, but it will be on our must ride list for each trip.

Not going to get too in-depth, but rode this last week during my visit. Only got one ride, but my girlfriend and I both enjoyed it a lot. Neither of us had ridden anything similar to it before so it was a cool new experience for us both. The King Kong animatronic at the end is absolutely stunning. Videos and pictures don't do the real thing justice. Rode it using express so unfortunately didn't get the whole queue experience, but I really enjoyed it overall, more so than I expected based on the mixed reviews I had been reading.

Great addition to Islands of Adventure!

The worm is in the last room just before you get your 3d glasses. As you walk in that room it is in the far left corner in a large clear case.
We must have run through that room. Never saw it - and it's the reason we did the standby line in the first place. Oh well.

We must have run through that room. Never saw it - and it's the reason we did the standby line in the first place. Oh well.
It's the room with all of the Expedition supplies, boxes, exhibits etc. Looks a bit Indiana Jonesish. It has a line that wraps around all of that stuff and ends right before you board, when you can go left or right for boarding. The creature is in a large glass cage on your right as you turn the corner in the early section of the room..

It's the room with all of the Expedition supplies, boxes, exhibits etc. Looks a bit Indiana Jonesish. It has a line that wraps around all of that stuff and ends right before you board, when you can go left or right for boarding. The creature is in a large glass cage on your right as you turn the corner in the early section of the room..
Interesting - I don't remember any room like this. I really only remember rooms that were empty caves. I'll see if my wife remembers - maybe I blacked out or something lol

Sounds like we had to have gone through it, but none of that sounds at all familiar.

Interesting - I don't remember any room like this. I really only remember rooms that were empty caves. I'll see if my wife remembers - maybe I blacked out or something lol

Sounds like we had to have gone through it, but none of that sounds at all familiar.
Yes, if you went stand by, you had to go through it to get to the split line for boarding. It takes a while to go through since the line snakes & winds through that area. The room is quite large and heavily themed with huge expedition boxes, supplies etc. Even if the line was short, it takes a while to walk through all of that. :)