Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

So extended Friday not that busy, even with all the free TM tickets. Arrived at 10:30, everything but AHS was basically a walk-on, and even that was only 25 (very accurate predicted time, too--yes, saw it a third time, still don't get the hype). I can't fathom what that queue was like when fully loaded.

Speaking of AHS, apparently the look-alike actors were supplied by AHS's studio. Their contracts were up 10/31, so either pulled or replaced with local talent this weekend. Other houses had noticeable holes as well, e.g. 2nd hallway Regan and the floating Regan priest, the saloon ceiling ghost. Not the best runs I've had, but the fact they were walk-ons means I can't really complain.

texas chainsaw was missing the first victim guy when leatherface opens his door and was missing the actor in the hallway with the windows (not leatherface but the guy that came out of a door)
Krampus was missing like at least 4 elves. maybe more. Tomb of the ancients was missing some of the characters as well. Halloween was missing the Michael that is bleeding from the eyes, Walking dead was missing the sewer zombie and in the Alexandria room it was missing a zombie as well.

Academy of Villains were missing at least 4 people but the show was still very good.
the cheerleaders were misssing from the Simpsons area and the Geishas were missing too.
Im not complaining or anything but just reporting on the night. every house was 5 minutes. some houses were literally a walk on (zero minutes)

It rained from 9 to 10 (off and on) so the streets got empty. it was an interesting night. different. very different. very very small crowds and actors missing in houses. not a bad night.
the Jello shot girls were not in the park. I never saw any of them (which I guess was to be expected)
did all houses twice and then just went home because of the rain.

texas chainsaw was missing the first victim guy when leatherface opens his door and was missing the actor in the hallway with the windows (not leatherface but the guy that came out of a door)
Krampus was missing like at least 4 elves. maybe more. Tomb of the ancients was missing some of the characters as well. Halloween was missing the Michael that is bleeding from the eyes, Walking dead was missing the sewer zombie and in the Alexandria room it was missing a zombie as well.

Strange... We saw the Hallway actor in TCM and the Sewer zombie.

Just got back from an extended night (Nov 4th). After visiting HHN Oct. 2 and left with a sour taste (heavily crowded), I give early last night a 2nd "Chance". Much better, way less crowded and houses we're walk on. AHS and TWD had the most waits at 30-35 others 5-10. Did all 9 houses, saw B&T, and rode a few attractions before departing within 4 hours. Amazing :)

It just shows how much this event has become about visitors, not just locals. If they announced since day one Nov 4th & 5th I bet the crowds would be heavier, but not unbearable.
Actually most locals aren't aware of the extension. They haven't really gotten the message out there, they didn't really have a lot of time. Not to mention they announced the extension with less than 2 weeks notice which doesn't give people much opportunity to plan around any work schedules.

Yeah... I don't think Uni is going to make extended weekends a thing...

there were people that were very angry about the short notice and people that booked on halloween because they didnt know about the extension on FB. or people wanted to come but didn't have a ride.

hopefully there wont be any more hurricanes that will make the park close for 2 days. this extension was announced too close to the end.

Last edited:
I cant believe almost everything sold out. very little was left tonight. just a couple of shirts and some cards and hats. these two new nights definitely got uni to sell everything. I wanted to get a XXL chance shirt (Every year im always able to get one after HHN is over or the last night) today they were all gone... i cant recall any time that all the shirts were gone by the last day

While the extension Friday night was a definite bust, I think last night was far more successful. It was by no means a "busy night", but things were far more steady. Houses stayed around 20 minute waits, except the big players who hovered around 45. Friday night around 11, even AHS had only a 20 minute wait, the same can't be said for Saturday. I think what helped push the efficiency of it all was how few people had Express Pass.

I did ghost town last last night and was one of the final 5 people in the house. When I exited it was raining the exact amount it rains in the house so I feel like a ghost was following me home. Also even though Sat was busier than Friday, was able to hit 27 houses, see AoV, and get a last round in all the zones. Was a great night except for the missing actors.

Friday was definitely a great day crowd wise, but I don't think I would call it a bust. I'm sure they still came out ahead for the day.

But how many of those people had free tickets (from CMs) or were FF passholders? Bars still made money, but not convinced single-night ticket sales were there either night.

Some final thoughts ... not really a review (that's in the review thread), more a "State of HHN" post:

The Good
  • Most houses felt longer this year. It's funny how two extra rooms can make for a far more satisfying house.
  • There were exceptions--Halloween, occasionally Exorcist--but overall Ops wasn't that intrusive.
  • Credit where it's due, not a fan but AoV built a huge fan base, always drew a crowd in a way the magic shows and RHPS never did.
  • They made up the two cancelled nights to FFP holders with THREE replacement nights. Legally didn't have to do anything for us, that's good show.
  • Three local craft beers featured through the event. I thought that was a nice touch.
  • It's a cliche, but the best scare-actors in the business, as well as the best set designers, costumers, sounds techs, etc. To make nine houses work like that--and keep them up despite the abuse the props and the actors receive--is an amazing accomplishment.
The Bad
  • So many kids. Always been a few every year, but the other night I counted a dozen under-13s passing me by in two minutes. I saw babies (!) at least once a night.
  • Crowds. Debated to death, but they haven't solved this issue yet.
  • Entry and even exit queues way too long. If a house needs a 2.5 hour queue that's fine, but find a way to bypass it when it's just 10 minutes.
  • Not just an HHN issue, but the event exacerbates it--parking. The parking crew have no clue what they're doing. Lanes appear and disappear, they park so guests will have to walk in front of traffic, can't park two rows at a time to save their lives. I hear valet had issues as well. Parking is guests' first impression of your resort, need to make it work.

I did ghost town last last night and was one of the final 5 people in the house. When I exited it was raining the exact amount it rains in the house so I feel like a ghost was following me home. Also even though Sat was busier than Friday, was able to hit 27 houses, see AoV, and get a last round in all the zones. Was a great night except for the missing actors.

I ended up being THE last person in Ghost Town. What an interesting thing to be able to say?

I was there at 12:55 for ghost town lol
I wanted to try to be last in the house but a group of people came in line and i couldnt wait. I think we us 3 were there together for one final round without knowing lol.

I was able to do krampus before ghost town. It was good. I was glad neither house was empty of actors. Said goodbye to both houses.

Exorsist closed like at 12:30. Not sure what happened. None of the other houses in the front closed early ( walking dead and ahs were open till closing)

Ahs had a 40 minute like at 1 am. I almost went in it but i was too tired.

But how many of those people had free tickets (from CMs) or were FF passholders? Bars still made money, but not convinced single-night ticket sales were there either night.
Yeah, I'm sure the ticket sales weren't that spectacular, however every bar I passed had a pretty good line and merchandise seemed to be moving a little faster than normal probably due to being discounted. I'm assuming with the reduced staffing throughout they probably saved enough to compensate for the ticket sales and still made good money on food and merchandise.
Crowds. Debated to death, but they haven't solved this issue yet.
Like you said this is debated to death, but I really don't see crowds as an issue at all. I'm sure Universal certainly doesn't see it as an "issue" it just means more money, they rate the success of the event on how crowded it is. I think HHN has the best crowd compromises of any event. Guests can get in and enjoy the event with a relatively good value. Guests who want to avoid the crowds have multiple options available to them in the form of Express and RIP. It really is the best of both worlds.

Last edited: