Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 188 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thanks, much better phrasing. I have the feeling that Pokemon Go reminded everyone, including Universal, of that.
I think it proved that while it may not be hugely popular there are a large number of people who do know what it is and at least have a passing interest in it. In much the same way many people downloaded and played the game for a week, they would be interested in trying out an attraction based on it even if it isn't something that would make them plan a trip to Universal. It would be a great secondary add on to Nintendo's presence in the parks. I could see it being like a standalone attraction, or perhaps just a restaurant and shop mini land type thing.

The 4th gate would do just fine with Fantastic beasts, dreamworks, Nintendo expansion(non-Mario), and etc land. The novelty of a new park would bring tons of people alone and I mean, people pay to go to DHS...

Reactions: Mike S
I think it proved that while it may not be hugely popular there are a large number of people who do know what it is and at least have a passing interest in it. In much the same way many people downloaded and played the game for a week, they would be interested in trying out an attraction based on it even if it isn't something that would make them plan a trip to Universal. It would be a great secondary add on to Nintendo's presence in the parks. I could see it being like a standalone attraction, or perhaps just a restaurant and shop mini land type thing.

The person unfamiliar with Pokemon downloaded and tried it because it was so popular. Unfamiliar people didn't make it popular- it was popular first, then unfamiliar people tried it making it a wildly successful craze.

Also- why not have Mario at USF and then Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby (or any of the other franchises) at the new park. You don't think a fully inclusive Zelda area and a fully fledged dreamworks/illuminations area would be worthy of a visit? And we still don't know what Uni has up their sleeves. Lotr, Oz or Star Trek may not happen, but there are a dozen other franchises they could land. Or they could have a monster area. Look, at the end of the day- if Universal builds a quality park, people will flock to it. This isn't Uni of 1999.

The 4th gate would do just fine with Fantastic beasts, dreamworks, Nintendo expansion(non-Mario), and etc land. The novelty of a new park would bring tons of people alone and I mean, people pay to go to DHS...
Another theme park wont work in Orlando... Universal needs to maximize offerings in all possible spaces and ways before getting into a new park. Otherwise people aren't going to keep paying $130.. Well the way people have been paying they actually might.

Reactions: TDBLMT
Another theme park wont work in Orlando... Universal needs to maximize offerings in all possible spaces and ways before getting into a new park. Otherwise people aren't going to keep paying $130.. Well the way people have been paying they actually might.
I think another theme park will do just fine in Orlando. There are always people with big wallets willing to spend some extra money.
Just look at Disney with their countless up-charges.

Comcast didn't buy all of that land last year to just sit on it and not build. You can bet your ass they're gonna build another park. They actually have room there for 2.

Reactions: Mike S and s8film40
The person unfamiliar with Pokemon downloaded and tried it because it was so popular. Unfamiliar people didn't make it popular- it was popular first, then unfamiliar people tried it making it a wildly successful craze.
I think a lot of people were able to catch on to the craze who had some even if small knowledge of the franchise. Certainly a lot of people downloaded it just to see what it was.
The novelty of a new park would bring tons of people alone and I mean, people pay to go to DHS...
IOA struggled for years to catch up to USF, DHS and DAK are still working to catch up to the other Disney parks. I would think Universal would want to do as much as they can to put this park on even footing right out of the gate. The big difference between Universal and Disney is Universal is expanding into a multi park resort with another multi park resort as competition.
Also- why not have Mario at USF and then Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby (or any of the other franchises) at the new park. You don't think a fully inclusive Zelda area and a fully fledged dreamworks/illuminations area would be worthy of a visit? And we still don't know what Uni has up their sleeves. Lotr, Oz or Star Trek may not happen, but there are a dozen other franchises they could land. Or they could have a monster area. Look, at the end of the day- if Universal builds a quality park, people will flock to it. This isn't Uni of 1999.
The question works both ways why not have Mario in the new park and the others in the existing parks? Why didn't they put Hogsmeade in USF and add-on DA into IOA? If Nintendo is the next big thing and we end up with the bulk of Harry Potter and main driving property of Nintendo in the USF/IOA complex it makes it very easy for someone to plan a two day trip and go to just USF and IOA. If things get a little more spread out a 3+ day park hopping trip becomes really the only viable option. Why would Universal want to build a brand new park and give it the seconds that were passed over for USF? It's not like they're trying to build an overflow park for things that just wouldn't fit into the existing parks. They're going to want a big draw there.

Comcast didn't buy all of that land last year to just sit on it and not build. You can bet your ass they're gonna build another park. They actually have room there for 2.
Yeah, I agree there may not be a need for another park and Universal could do just fine without it. The key though is they're trying to lengthen stays to their resort. The only way to do this is to increase the perception that multiple days are needed to visit Universal. People often associate allotting one day per park regardless of how much is actually in that park. This is why VB is being referred to as the 3rd park. They need an additional park to truly become a standalone resort and not an add on park/s to a WDW vacation.

Reactions: Nick
A new park would absolutely work in Orlando. IOA and USF both have plenty of offerings when it comes to their price point compared to the likes of DHS/AK. While they can always use more, if they put Nintendo in the new park only USF wouldn't suffer as something else will replace it.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
If they were to do Pokémon, Pokémon sun and moon was made with theme parks in mind, with the Pokémon snap feature, the ride Pokémon, and the introduction of human food into the games as well. The pokedex moves and talks as if its a Pokémon as well.

Another thing to note is they wanted attractions for everyone regardless of age which rules out Metroid. Potentially increases Animal Crossing and Kirby.

If Pokémon is allowed, it would bring just as many visitors as Mario IMO. While Mario is well known, other Nintendo offerings are just a popular and would easily bring people in.

I think it would work out fine with Mario in USF and Zelda + Pokémon in the third park. I wouldn't think of those as "seconds."
Then why aren't they featured in the video Universal put out? How come every article about Universal adding Nintendo has an image of Mario?

I think the bigger factor here is most of us know that an addition for USF could happen much faster than the opening of a new park and most of us are far more excited to see Mario in a park setting and so much of this is wishful thinking.

If they were to do Pokémon, Pokémon sun and moon was made with theme parks in mind, with the Pokémon snap feature, the ride Pokémon, and the introduction of human food into the games as well. The pokedex moves and talks as if its a Pokémon as well.

Another thing to note is they wanted attractions for everyone regardless of age which rules out Metroid. Potentially increases Animal Crossing and Kirby.
:(
Then why aren't they featured in the video Universal put out? How come every article about Universal adding Nintendo has an image of Mario?

I think the bigger factor here is most of us know that an addition for USF could happen much faster than the opening of a new park and most of us are far more excited to see Mario in a park setting and so much of this is wishful thinking.
Because Mario is obviously the first thing they're doing, duh.

Reactions: Andysol
So you're saying anything else outside of Mario would be SECOND.
Well obviously chronologically, yes it would be second. But it all comes down to what Nintendo wants to do I think since they have a lot of creative say and since Mario is the company mascot (and probably one of the most recognizable characters in the WORLD), it only makes sense for him to go first.

I think it's important to remember that Mario (and most of Nintendo's other characters) have multi -generational appeal. Pokemon is much newer and doesn't have as much adult nostagelia.