Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

If you guys are wondering what the floating lanterns I have mentioned in the past look like in the context of the show, here you go:

OeqtW4P.jpg

The show really isn't missing anything it doesn't already have without them (beauty). They would be nice to see added eventually, but those lanterns being added won't fix the fact that the show has almost no story to decipher whatsoever.

Oh, and before you get ahead of yourselves, the "floating" lanterns seen back by the Tree of Life in the image would be projected... it's the ones that are in the foreground on the water that they are having issues with. There are about 100 in total, 50 per side of the stadium.

So... social media is mostly gushing about the show.

Not sure what to think. Some are pretty stoically "meh" on it, but the way some of the bigger accounts are pushing it really seems ridiculous.

Not sure what to think. Some are pretty stoically "meh" on it, but the way some of the bigger accounts are pushing it really seems ridiculous.
Well, unless something changed since last weekend, it's just blogger chatter.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but it's nothing to gush about.

There's a group of people who will always claim everything Disney does is the best ever or be very selective with praise. Even Nixon had 40% support among Republicans during Watergate/his resignation.

There's a group of people who will always claim everything Disney does is the best ever or be very selective with praise. Even Nixon had 40% support among Republicans during Watergate/his resignation.
The weird thing though is that last weekend there was in no way sweeping praise of the show.

The only thing i've seen to show that anything has changed too is that the fire tower is working properly now (making it more impressive) and supposedly The Dis said there was fog effects during the 8:30 showing last night... of course, that could have just been real fog. It was certainly chilly enough.

But none of that makes up for the non-existent story. It's a fine show and fits the park, but it's not worth waiting 45 mins to an hour for.

Saw the show tonight. Will post some pics from my iphone a little later..

But, impressions:

The scale of the floats is more impressive in person and within the stadium itself. So many blogger photographers spend time obsessing about getting clean shots of shots and such that they forget that people need references for scale. In the giant murky voids that they shoot of the show it looks like tiny props floating about. In person they're decently sized and close enough to be more impressive.

So i'll admit to being wrong about that.

The rear water jet screens really havent been improved since Jungle Book, they're blurry as ever. They seem to have their coordinating sides - blue for water, yellow for light, focused to their audiences areas. I was in the FP seating (light side) and the light-side yellow-background half of the rear projection plumes were somewhat discernible. Also I was in the second half of the 3 seating area, and the third lotuys flower (left to the right) was the one where i could see projections clearly.

So it seems the show, in terms of how the projectors are focused, is split in half for the big rear projection and then split amid the seating areas for the four main lotus flowers. Also the boats act as mini-versions of the big screen, so if the big screen is unintelligible the boat usually clues you in. Sometimes it's the lotuses instead. The biggest failure on that front was the scene where the whale breaches. It is entirely on the rear screen and does not read well. It needs to be replaced with something else.

Lines for the second show were already long and full of people while the first show was starting. They held the second show for 10 minutes to seat guests. The FP side (Asia) was full but not ardine packed and you could put your feet on the bench infront of you depending on how people spaced themselves. Standby loaded right up until the final 2min countdown to the show (the theater dimming, boats an lotuses going into position.) It filled up though.

So standby generally had about an hour wait. Eww.

For Fastpass I returned a little after 8:10 or so, got the last light up lotus ice cube thingy from a cart and got in line all the way at the shrine that marks the Everest viewing area all the way across the waterfront from Everest (the entrance to the theater being at Everest itself.) However, even with that mass of people infront of us - many who had been there since the first show began - we were in third seating section and had a good view. I actually think the first seating sections they fill dont have that great of a view. The lotuses and boats don't really start until the second seating areas so the first oesnt have anything directly infront of them like the others.

Standby line was switchbacked aside the theater and then stretched out of Dinoland and to the Discovery Island area - going all the way past Flame Tree BBQ and ending just a little ways before you get to the last seating area of Flame Tree with the snakes.

I'd heard horror stories about leaving the theater, especially on the Asia side, but we just waited for the theater to clear mostly and then had an uncrowded and leisurely walk out.

In terms of rank I'd say it's 3rd in the parks for me (ROE, Wishes, and then ROL with Fantasmic way waaaaay back there because i have never really enjoyed that show.), and i'd probably see it again with a FP before putting an effort in to see Illuminations or Wishes, but just because i've seen those two so much. With nice weather and a few drinks from Nomad Lounge and not arriving too early for FP it was an enjoyable event. If it was hot and muggy and i had done standby for an hour+ i'd be annoyed.

So FP it, don't bother getting there super early, and enjoy it casually.

Also a quick note on audio - in blogger videos and even the "official" soundtrack that was leaked it all comes off as sort of tinny and shrill.

That's essentially omitting the deeper bass tones that a proper theatrical sound system can create. The audio is much richer in person and so it's not nearly as shrill and has much better sense of presence.

Best similar example i can give is that "Haruuuuum" sound from the Tree of Life theme. If you've heard it in the park you know it's got a lot of bass and feels like a very full note, but on CD or in recordings it's not nearly as impressive.

Random comments: wouldn't a much better finale include the smallest bit of pyro? I know JB:AwM had it, so why can't RoL.
Boom Boom doesn't always mean better. I'm not so sure how well even low-level fireworks would fit well in the context of this show.

Boom Boom doesn't always mean better. I'm not so sure how well even low-level fireworks would fit well in the context of this show.
But I think just a small firework on the opposite side of the Tree of Life in the finale would work really well. Not saying it isn't pretty good as it is now as I'm one of the few who seem to truly enjoy it.

But I think just a small firework on the opposite side of the Tree of Life in the finale would work really well. Not saying it isn't pretty good as it is now as I'm one of the few who seem to truly enjoy it.
I agree the finale is lacking slightly upon second viewing. However there are other ways about going about a big splashy ending than fireworks. WoC manages to create a great finale with no fireworks used at all.

I think something like using water canons that are used in the fountain show at Epcot would be good (It even sounds like fireworks at points). Add some color to them with projections and it could be nice.

Standby line was switchbacked aside the theater and then stretched out of Dinoland and to the Discovery Island area - going all the way past Flame Tree BBQ and ending just a little ways before you get to the last seating area of Flame Tree with the snakes.

Wait.. what?