Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 288 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal story on the 'short commercial' we've been debating......Background. My GF loves Universal & Disney (not a pixie duster though), but unlike me, she pays no attention to any theme park news. She had no idea about Pandora at AK... While watching Modern Family tonight, one of the real short Pandora commercials popped up. I asked her about her thoughts. She said, "Wow. That's amazing and beautiful. I want to see that". Just saying.

I got an almost identical reaction from my wife.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Well the river ride has 1 animatronic, so if it's not working it's "living with the glowing land". The simulator will be a challenge for those who are not physically fit. After waiting for hours to experience them, it will be a challenge for the CMs to deal with disappointments.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Well the river ride has 1 animatronic, so if it's not working it's "living with the glowing land". The simulator will be a challenge for those who are not physically fit. After waiting for hours to experience them, it will be a challenge for the CMs to deal with disappointments.

There will be a test seat...
It is your fault if you ignore or don't try the test seat.

Reactions: adjjb
There will be a test seat...
It is your fault if you ignore or don't try the test seat.

Eh, it's not like guests should expect to not fit in a ride seat if they commonly do.

That's why the TMs are so aggressive about it at Forbidden Journey. Now if you refuse the test seat or insist on trying to ride regardless they have the right to push you out the exit quickly and not care.

img_1403-png.191531

img_1404-png.191534

(Screenshots captured from another site)

Reactions: twebber55
Oh come on - the commercial isn't scary. That article is reaching - Avatar losing relevance? For sure... But calling the entirety of the commercial offputting seems silly to me.
The animatronic is slightly uncanny but it's no worse than any other realistic looking animatronic, and actually it nails the look so well it's realistic...

Reactions: Nick
Oh come on - the commercial isn't scary. That article is reaching - Avatar losing relevance? For sure... But calling the entirety of the commercial offputting seems silly to me.
The animatronic is slightly uncanny but it's no worse than any other realistic looking animatronic, and actually it nails the look so well it's realistic...

No one wants realistic AAs. Westworld has taught us that. They want them close but easy enough to tell they are fake

Agree. Plus most people watching the commercial, that aren't theme park adherents like us, probably think that's a real person in makeup, not an AA. I thought the commercial was pretty cool, though it was way more computer graphics than the real land. Nothing scary there at all.

Reactions: Nick and belloq87
I was beaten to the punch on the Polygon commercial!

Yeah, Disney isn't doing a good job with advertising this. James Cameron keeps pushing how cool flying on a banshee is. I really don't care.

These ads should be retrospectives on Animal Kingdom. AK is a place with animals, parades, shows, Everest and holy crap, look at that nighttime Avatar land. Easy.

Calling the animatronic "terrifying" is beyond an over exaggeration, the thing looks good. I don't even get how the uncanny valley principle applies to it since that's a scale of how human something looks, not how real it looks. The avatar animatronic isn't human like at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.