1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom' started by Brian G., Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Vyrus

Vyrus The man with the master plan Premium Member

DISNEY PARKS BLOG, OMG THIS IS BIG!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

3. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Yerp. Construction starts in 2013. More than one attraction will be built. Cameron will be heavily involved.

This is EXACTLY what the resort needed. I can't really post since I'm at work. Will have my detailed thoughts later.

4. Vyrus

This is something that could match Potter in attendance boost, but a whole Pandora section could be pretty awesome, and I hope they make a competing dueling coaster based on the flying creatures, wow, this is awesome!

5. ralphoutloud

ralphoutloud Veteran Member

Avatar was huge yes....but I don't think it will be nearly as successful as HP. There won't be thousands of people lined up opening day for this.

6. Vyrus

Absolutely not, of course, but it could finally push Animal Kingdom into a full day park finally and certainly will boost attendance.

7. Brian G.

Just adding to confirm that the land will feature a few new rides, entertainment, shopping, and dining and will be expected to open by 2016. Expected cost of the project is $200 million.

8. Vyrus

Only $200 million? Hmmmm thats a pretty low number considering how much money Disney is spending on FLE.

9. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Red flag:

This is only going to cost 200 million for the entire project. Radiator Springs racers costs over 400 alone. Either WDI has learned how to spend money wisely, or this isn't going to be as exciting as it sounds. I hope it's the former.

10. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

AVATAR at ANIMAL KINGDOM? LMAO.. This is awesome though. It would obviously make more sense at Universal but go Disney for having some balls to do something.

11. Tbad556

Tbad556 Veteran Member

Brilliant move by Walt Disney World. With the Fantasyland Expansion and Avatar coming to the resort, I'm actually optimistic about the resorts additions again. This could actually bump Animal Kingdom past a half day park. Here's hoping.

12. Brian G.

Why would it make more sense at Universal? This is the new Beastly Kingdom, essentially. Makes just as much sense at Animal Kingdom.

13. bciech8

bciech8 Rookie

I'm indifferent about this. I think they're just trying to 1+ on HPland but I really don't think Avatar has the fan base that HP has, even with two (correct?) additional movies set to come out. Hopefully it has some awesome attractions and whatnot. I've never read the HP books / seen the movies, yet I do love the land and attractions and I'm hoping 'Avatarland' is the same way. It'll hopefully push Animal Kingdom into a half day.. 'er.. full day, park. ;) And... once that opens in 2016, they'll fix the yeti, right?

14. MIAboy

MIAboy BANNED

Just had a WTF moment. (can I eve write that here...lol) Wow, this was random. I haven't seen avatar so now I have to. Lmao

15. Vyrus

I think it does make a ton more sense at DAK instead of replacing T2 for example. This could be the case of Uni just wanted to do a simple attraction and WDW was willing to do more just to do something and add a big name to their parks. Basically the reverse of the UO did to Disney with HP.

But just thinking, if they were to do a dueling coaster again how much would one of those coasters cost? I couldn't find the price of the original cost of Dueling Dragons.

16. Octobers Fade

Octobers Fade DEAD inside Premium Member

Wonder if T2 3-D is leaveing Uni now that Cameron is bed with Disney, this may open the door for the rumored TFs...
    I am indifferent to this going on at AK, just make it interesting. They need a dark ride, a coaster, and a water attraction, IMO.

17. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Also, this is a pretty huge slap in the face of D23 attendees to announce this just a month later.

18. Vyrus

Agreed, if this was in the works they should have announced it at D23 after the previous D23 convention included SO many announcements.

19. Scarletwebslingr

Scarletwebslingr Veteran Member

Hoooooooly crap! As much as I hated that film, the theme park applications are virtually limitless. Between Potter, Fantasyland, possible Transformers, and now Avatar, Orlando is about to explode.

20. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Hell yeah. That's the most important part. No matter where it goes, WE WIN.

--- Update ---

Oh and I will be sifting through threads to see who was talking smack about Avatar when it was suggested it would go to Universal and who's praising it now that it's going to Disney. :lol: There's gonna be some quoting in this mutha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.