Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often catch myself saying "shut up Meg." when Sea World makes a statement about another park

By the way, can we talk about the huge dent in tourism made by Antarcticaaaaa?

Before Blackfish, SeaWorld had a decent fight in the market. There was a time where you would devote a weekend to a Disney trip - or a combo SW/UO trip. Potter changed that. Either way, they still are an excellent gauge to help see what's going on at other parks.

sea world has been crippled by UOR and specifically Potter....Disney not so much

Exactly.

Eh not to get off the subject of Pandora, but SeaWorld can still reclaim its portion of the market if they make a few smart decisions in the development of their park. Antarctica tanked SeaWorld just about as much as Universal or Blackfish did. What an overhyped pile of garbage that was!

Eh not to get off the subject of Pandora, but SeaWorld can still reclaim its portion of the market if they make a few smart decisions in the development of their park. Antarctica tanked SeaWorld just about as much as Universal or Blackfish did. What an overhyped pile of garbage that was!
Yeah, not to derail but a Mako came way too late IMO...I applaud them for trying to break into the Potter formula, it just isn't them though

Universal also raised prices and sucked up more of people's budgets that would have previously been enough to include sea world. Avatar is going to look huge in the first year due to how little disney has built in the past few years and how many people have delayed their trips untill anything sizable opens. Long term effects will be a bigger question.

Yeah, not to derail but a Mako came way too late IMO...I applaud them for trying to break into the Potter formula, it just isn't them though

I agree. Mako should have opened 4 years after Manta so that SeaWorld can be seen as "Orlando's Thrill Park" and take away some light from nothing new at Disney.

Only good thing is that crowds can be equally divided thru out the park. Some head to safari/Everest/Avatar.

Cameron is 62 and has 4 movies in pre-production who will be released (supposedly) in 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2023. Most parts of these movies are CGI with motion capture performances so that could go quite quick but still it's a huge task. Most assets will probably be re-used for these movies (character models, textures, etc).

Avatar 2 will probably see december 2018 (lets pretend it won't be delayed again) release. That year it will go up against (not sure what months) Star Wars Han Solo, Pacific Rim 2, Avengers: Infinity War, The Predators, Black Panther, Ocean's 8, Deadpool 2, Jurassic World 2, The Incredibles 2, Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns, Fantastic Beasts and where to find them 2 and more. That is quite a competition. I'm betting on a flop. But the themed area and it's ride could be amazing, irrelevant but amazing.

Cameron is 62 and has 4 movies in pre-production who will be released (supposedly) in 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2023. Most parts of these movies are CGI with motion capture performances so that could go quite quick but still it's a huge task. Most assets will probably be re-used for these movies (character models, textures, etc).

Avatar 2 will probably see december 2018 (lets pretend it won't be delayed again) release. That year it will go up against (not sure what months) Star Wars Han Solo, Pacific Rim 2, Avengers: Infinity War, The Predators, Black Panther, Ocean's 8, Deadpool 2, Jurassic World 2, The Incredibles 2, Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns, Fantastic Beasts and where to find them 2 and more. That is quite a competition. I'm betting on a flop. But the themed area and it's ride could be amazing, irrelevant but amazing.

The only one of those that would have any effect would be FB 2 and thats almost a month before avatar comes out. You might as well say there is no competition. Movies in the Summer have no effect on Holiday releases. And even Thanksgiving releases don't really do much to Christmas time event movies. 2015 had Jurassic World, Avengers 2, Inside Out, Furious 7, and Minions all do over $300 million and the Final Hunger Games at Thanksgiving. All of that and Star Wars still did almost a Billion domestic. 2016 had a similar set up and even more November competition and Rogue One did over $500 million. I'm not saying that Avatar 2 is going to do as much as Avatar 1, but it's going to fail or succeed on its own merits, not because of box office competition.

Unless something moves. If Disney pushes Han Solo to December, it could get ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.