Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 411 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance Universal would build a second water park on the 475 acres it owns by the convention center? That should be enough land for two dry parks and a water park, which would essentially match Disney's portfolio.

Reactions: 12th Man
Any chance Universal would build a second water park on the 475 acres it owns by the convention center? That should be enough land for two dry parks and a water park, which would essentially match Disney's portfolio.
Ya' never know! :shrug: They still have "WonderSea" trademarked, as well as patents for multiple rafts and drop capsules.

The unique thing about VB is that the majority is outside. We'll see very little for F&F once the exterior is complete which will be soon.

The next big thing will be the land clearing for Nintendo.

And that's not counting the potential project of WWoHP Phase 3.

We need to put "BarWatch 2018" on this list.

Getting excited about the Rooftop Bar at Aventura. With views of VB for the nightshow, the Parks... serious, serious potential there

Plus the whole Aventura buildout should be fun to watch

We need to put "BarWatch 2018" on this list.

Getting excited about the Rooftop Bar at Aventura. With views of VB for the nightshow, the Parks... serious, serious potential there

Plus the whole Aventura buildout should be fun to watch

I think Aventura is going to be a crazy quick build.

Given how quick and how much Universal and Disney are building, there's always going to be something to watch for the next 3 years. It's turning into a new golden era.

When it comes to water slides, the amount of people a tube can fit isn't very useful. While I'm not one to care about getting grouped with strangers for the large circular raft rides when I'm alone, my wife doesn't really like being grouped with strangers on multi-person raft/tube slides, and I've found most water parks will ask, but don't force it. My guess is the majority of those 5 and 6 person tubes will be going out with at least one spot empty 99% of the time unless they're force grouping. And even I really don't like being grouped with strangers on a tandem seat raft slide, so while 4 person families are the "normal" group size, I'm willing to bet the water coaster rafts will have an empty seat or two more often than not.

I don't have any complaints about VB's capacity, as it looks like it should be at least slightly better than average for a water park, but the size of the tubes probably won't have the impact on capacity you're thinking.
I certainly don't expect every spot on every raft to get filled, but in general I would expect larger rafts to be carrying more people. As a comparison, 5 largest raft sizes of the waterparks in Orlando:
Volcano Bay: 6, 6, 5, 5, 4
Wet 'n Wild: 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
Typhoon Lagoon: 4, 4, 3, 3, 2
Blizzard Beach: 6, 2, 2, 2, 2
Aquatica: 4, 3, 2, 2, 2

As excited as I'll be to see people's reviews/photos on here soon, I'm actually pretty sad that all of the VB speculation and construction photo updates will be gone in 11 days, as is the way of these things! Just F&F to follow for now really, but as most of that will be internal work, it'll be slim pickings unless we count HHN speculation (which I appreciate doesn't appeal to everyone).

OPEN CALL TO UNIVERSAL: BUILD SOME MORE PRETTY STUFF FOR US SOON, PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
The summer will probably be pretty quiet besides Aventura, but I would expect major construction on the first wet n wild hotel to begin late summer or fall, and Nintendo starting late 2017 or early 2018.

Given that Universal will probably want to build hotels as well, I would think one large dry park and one water park (or comparable size attraction) with hotels and a CityWalk equivalent is more likely.

Reactions: Andysol
Yeah, I also don't think we'll see another Universal waterpark built in the next 20 years, if ever. I would also be very surprised if Universal build 2 extra parks on the new land. I think they've seen from Disney having 4 parks, that people on a long weekender will simply skip a park rather than commit to staying longer on-site to pack them all in. I believe they'll settle on 3 main parks and VB, with lots of Hotel rooms and some sort of Disney Springs-like site (more shopping and family focused than the current Citywalk)

From 1995-2001 and 2008-2016, there were four water parks in the Orlando area:

River Country (1976-2001)/Aquatica (2008-present)
Wet 'N Wild (1977-2016)/Volcano Bay
Typhoon Lagoon (1989-present)
Blizzard Beach (1995-present)

Volcano Bay will bring Orlando back up to 4 water parks later this month. Five parks may be pushing it now, but if Universal wants visitors to stay "on site" for an entire week, it may need a second water park to get that sixth gate.

If Sea World sells Aquatica Orlando, I could see Universal moving it to the new land off Destination Parkway. If Universal acquires all of Sea World Orlando, then they'll probably keep it right where it is.

Volcano Bay will bring Orlando back up to 4 water parks later this month. Five parks may be pushing it now, but if Universal wants visitors to stay "on site" for an entire week, it may need a second water park to get that sixth gate.

If Sea World sells Aquatica Orlando, I could see Universal moving it to the new land off Destination Parkway. If Universal acquires all of Sea World Orlando, then they'll probably keep it right where it is.

I can't see Universal moving Aquatica. They'll build something new.

Reactions: Andysol
It's hard to say what Universal will do over the next decade or two. My gut tells me that they won't build more than one new park, but I would say it all comes down to whether they think they can steal another day from Disney off of enough people's vacations, instead of people sacrificing a day at Universal's existing parks.
I wouldn't see Universal moving it, part of the big advantage would be how close it already is to Site B.

Actually there were FIVE.

River Country
Typhoon Lagoon
Blizzard Beach
Wet N Wild
Water Mania

Five is doable. They coexisted from 1995-2001 and did just fine. Of course, there were nowhere near as many tourists visiting Orlando back then...so if Universal added a second waterpark on the new site, I don't see a problem. If anything, with as busy as Universal is getting, and the amount of hotels built up, and with how popular Volcano Bay will probably be, they may need a second waterpark or serious expansion way sooner than later.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
This may seem odd, but do they ask for single riders on the rafts at waterparks?

No - they just put them on the raft alone.

It depends. My wife and I have been asked if we would mind going with another group of 2 on Teamboat Springs (the 6 person raft) before, but were just given our own raft on the family slide at Aquatica every time we've gone. I've been asked when I've been at the Disney waterparks and felt like doing the family raft rides to fill in if another single rider or 2 person group is right there as well, but I generally don't do the family raft rides when I'm going solo since it seems most aren't too thrilled about pairing with a stranger for water slides. Crush n Gusher is the only weird one, with one of the three slides being open to singles, but the other two only for doubles/triples. I expect for the water coaster here they'll group singles in, but it looks like those should be more like Splash Mountain style rafts (so hopefully no touching legs/feet when sitting)?

Status
Not open for further replies.