Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

From reading his twitter, he's out to make as much of this as he can.

Obviously bad news, but practical action (as in, letting someone know and leaving them to deal with the situation appropriately) is far more useful than running screaming to a news agency.

Last year, we went to WDW and my wife refused to go on the monorails because they had been breaking down. I assured her that there was nothing to worry about, although I am the one who fights anxiety when a ride breaks down with me on it. This story does nothing to make me feel any more confident. I know, deep down, that breakdowns are very few and that the bad stuff is what is reported. I still think that I will take my chances with buses or a rented vehicle this year.

Disney can't close the monorail for good due to how essential it is as an actual mode of transportation thankfully.

Hopefully Disney takes this seriously and they finally decide to buy new trains. It's long overdue.

Would they have to go to an entirely different company? Because, if I'm not mistaken; the original team who created the Monorails has now been closed down.

The news is shocking, but expected. I've noticed that all the monorails' frames are starting to crack from age and constant use.

I have a feeling that Monorail Blue will be phased out and scrapped if maintenance costs are too high.

Disney can't close the monorail for good due to how essential it is as an actual mode of transportation thankfully.

Hopefully Disney takes this seriously and they finally decide to buy new trains. It's long overdue.
Maybe they invest in new monorails for the fiftieth anniversary?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's very likely with the investment they're currently pouring into the Mark VIs to automate them.

Would they have to go to an entirely different company? Because, if I'm not mistaken; the original team who created the Monorails has now been closed down.
The current fleet of trains were designed by Disney but those designs were sold to Bombardier. They actually have produced modernized versions of those trains in operation in a handful of places around the world, but as I understand it Disney has somewhat alienated that company.

Wasn't it a few years back there was a push for a new fleet but that was nixed by Meg? Can't remember clearly, but I want to say yeah, but the price, like everything WDW related, was astronomical... Or that was the line.

im thinking that they would use the new gondola system to replace the monorails.From what ive been hearing Disney isn't too happy about the insane price just to keep the monorails running.

Wasn't it a few years back there was a push for a new fleet but that was nixed by Meg? Can't remember clearly, but I want to say yeah, but the price, like everything WDW related, was astronomical... Or that was the line.
There's been a couple of times when we've gotten really close to having new trains and/or expansion. I've kind of lost track what's specifically happened when over the years.

Disney Transportation is run by people with backgrounds running fleets of buses for cities. They see no future for the monorails and would get rid of them if they could.

It's a shame that they won't instead convert to light rail transportation between the resorts and the parks. I realize that it would be difficult to lay out the track lines and stations initially but the trains would/should be more reliable with scheduled stops. Heck, they could go green and use solar energy to power the trains for that matter.

As I've said before, it's easy to say this when I'm 900 miles away. It may not be possible but it seems like something they could consider. I'm talking all resorts and parks (with the exception of the water parks and maybe Disney Springs). Maybe there isn't a future for monorails but light rail is a great alternative.