Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jaws Revival?

Jul 19, 2017
I have the strangest gut feeling that Universal is going to pull a Kong on us again in the future. Kongfrontation originated from the King Kong Encounter at Universal Studios Hollywood. As some of us know, the Kong attraction in Hollywood burned down and was replaced by King Kong 360 3-D, which in turn spawned Reign of Kong at Islands of Adventure long after Kongfrontation closed. The Jaws segment of the tram tour at USH also followed a similar path, as it spawned a ride at Universal Studios Florida just like Kong. This leads me to believe that if something happens to the Jaws segment at USH, Universal will replace it with a new Jaws-themed experience that will in turn lead to said experience spawning a brand new Jaws ride at Islands of Adventure just like Kong.

I have the strangest gut feeling that Universal is going to pull a Kong on us again in the future. Kongfrontation originated from the King Kong Encounter at Universal Studios Hollywood. As some of us know, the Kong attraction in Hollywood burned down and was replaced by King Kong 360 3-D, which in turn spawned Reign of Kong at Islands of Adventure long after Kongfrontation closed. The Jaws segment of the tram tour at USH also followed a similar path, as it spawned a ride at Universal Studios Florida just like Kong. This leads me to believe that if something happens to the Jaws segment at USH, Universal will replace it with a new Jaws-themed experience that will in turn lead to said experience spawning a brand new Jaws ride at Islands of Adventure just like Kong.

Probably not going to happen, especially at IOA.

Really don't see it. Kong is still relevant with multiple movies coming out while Jaws hasn't had anything in like thirty years. It's a classic movie, but that's about it at this point.

Really don't see it. Kong is still relevant with multiple movies coming out while Jaws hasn't had anything in like thirty years. It's a classic movie, but that's about it at this point.

To be fair, while Jaws hasn't has a movie in 30 years, the fact is people like the Jaws franchise especially since shark attacks are still relevant in this world today. Kong is a fictional animal character, nothing more, and the fact is Universal hasn't treated him with the respect it deserves since King Kong Encounter burned down at USH in 2008. Jaws ride is like a Jungle Cruise parody only with more intensity due to sharks attacking the boat, and it employed a bunch of animatronics. Now pretty much Universal's popular IPs such as Fast and the Furious and Peter Jackson's King Kong turned into screen simulator rides while third party IPs such as Harry Potter and Nintendo takes priority for either mixed-screen animatronics or fully animatronic rides.

Jaws isn't going to fit anywhere at Islands of Adventure, especially at that point, Universal has no room to expand into a full island since they just recently added Skull Island as both an island and a ride last year. Even so, Skull Island is very tiny compared to the rest of the islands, which further exemplifies the lack of space IOA have. But sticking to the main point: to do that, you really need something that actually fit. Jaws obviously fit in the whole New England section which Amity used to be at USF. But IOA? Not a chance, Jaws doesn't fit in MSHI, neither does Jurassic Park or Harry Potter or the Lost Continent or others. You have to create a new island and it has to be entirely different than the Amity village, which is impossible. Let's face it, the full Jaws Ride isn't going to come back to the United States in the future, ever. I think while the ride is still popular especially when shark attacks are still relevant, it's way past its prime and needs to make room for other popular IPs.

I think our best hope for a return of Jaws would be as a singular scene within a larger attraction. The fabled "Great Universal Movie Ride" that so many of us would love to see would be the logical place.

I doubt we'll ever see it, unfortunately, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

The closest we'd get to seeing Jaws again would be if Universal built a boat ride in USF for HP where Fear Factor used to be and it would probably be a nondescript cameo.

I'd love another Jaws ride in Universal but I can't see it ever happening. There's other properties to focus on nowadays. USF could do with a boat ride though, but if that is under consideration is another story. I think they totally expect everyone to buy the 2-park explorer at least and IOA is inundated with them, really.

Yes... like the return of BOTH JAWS & Twister..... "SHARKNADO: RIDE IT OUT"

With real life effects

giphy.gif

I always thought it would be a cool idea to possibly have a huge shark fin swimming around the lagoon at USF that someone remotely controlled out of sight. Maybe even have a JAWS head come out of the water every once in a while.
I agree. I thought they should have done something like that with the Cinemagic show. Use a spotlight on it.

I always thought it would be a cool idea to possibly have a huge shark fin swimming around the lagoon at USF that someone remotely controlled out of sight. Maybe even have a JAWS head come out of the water every once in a while.
While I would love to see that I think the Jaws ride was deeper than the lagoon is. I don't think they have more than a couple of feet to work with.

The only classic Universal attraction I can see them bringing back is Back to the Future, just because I think it's both timeless and very easy to convert into several types of attractions. Meanwhile, I don't expect Jaws to EVER come back in its own ride, and if E.T. ever leaves, he'll be gone for good.