Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 277 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying that Dudley is even "presumably" a world class flume is an insult to Splash Mountain. Even the much worse Disneyland version is better than Dudley.

You do understand the difference between "world class" and "world's best" right?

Saying that Dudley is even "presumably" a world class flume is an insult to Splash Mountain. Even the much worse Disneyland version is better than Dudley.
Oh it's a world class flume for sure. One of the best Ride systems with a sick drop. The themeing is where it got cut. I know they rushed to get it done when they first opened IOA and they never completed all the scenes and stuff originally planned for the ride.
Honestly though, I think the way it is fits the Dudley Do-Right character...kinda crazy, out of place, and unfinished.

Nobody has topped Splash Mountain.

You do understand the difference between "world class" and "world's best" right?
Yes I do. To be world class would put it in the same class as Splash but not quite there. This is a categorically false statement to make as it is so far below in quality and like I said before, would be an insult to Splash.
Oh it's a world class flume for sure. One of the best Ride systems with a sick drop. The themeing is where it got cut. I know they rushed to get it done when they first opened IOA and they never completed all the scenes and stuff originally planned for the ride.
Honestly though, I think the way it is fits the Dudley Do-Right character...kinda crazy, out of place, and unfinished.

Nobody has topped Splash Mountain.
To get to world class you go the extra mile beyond just the ride system. Dudley utterly fails in that department.

Reactions: Nick
Yes I do. To be world class would put it in the same class as Splash but not quite there. This is a categorically false statement to make as it is so far below in quality and like I said before, would be an insult to Splash.

To get to world class you go the extra mile beyond just the ride system. Dudley utterly fails in that department.
Well it's longer than most log flumes, higher than most log flumes, has animatronics, set pieces, and a story line. Definitely world class.

I can see both sides of the argument here. I love Dudley (I may be biased, because I just tend to enjoy log flumes in general) and I'd probably consider it world class. It's a good, long, fun ride. The GF and I rode it multiple times on our last visit. I love the final drop, so much fun.

But does it come anywhere near Splash Mountain? Absolutely not. And I can see where people would get a "Six Flags" vibe from it, whether it's just bad animatronics, with bad audio just slapped on top of bare sheet metal, or exposed speakers, etc. it definitely misses the bar in that respect. However, I still don't think it's a stretch to call it world class.

I know it'll probably never happen, but I'd love to see it go down for an extended amount of time and get a complete overhaul, with actual show scenes, better animatronics, etc. I'd just like to see it actually feel completely finished.

Universal can do much better, especially now. But I don't think it's a bad ride by any stretch.

Reactions: Cheezbat and Joel
I would say Dudley is a world class attraction. But it is at the bottom of the heap for world class attractions. And I am sure not a point of pride for UC.

Shrek and FFL are really the only 2 attractions at UOR that I feel aren't worthy of being in a world class destination theme park resort.

Your arguments are so compelling.
Funny as I could say the exact same thing concerning the opinion that Dudley is "world class." Popeye? All day every day. Dudley? Give it the same fate as Dragon Challenge or go in and redo everything.

Only if Universal really wants to compete on Disney's level which I think they do.

Splash is in it's own category for flume rides. There's Splash, and everything else.
ToT is in it's own category for drop towers. There's ToT, and everything else.

Uni needs another groundbreaking or "redefining" attraction. Spiderman was one that redefined dark rides. Other rides have caught up to it, arguably, although it's still my personal favorite.
Nothing has come close to topping Splash or ToT- its a position one cant argue against- decades after they've been opened.

I haven't ridden Pirates in Shanghai, but from what Ive seen and heard, it has redefined boat rides. Again- Uni needs to redefine a genre of attraction to something that doesn't exist currently. If that's a Roller coaster, Dark Ride or Simulator, that's fine. And what better IP than Jurassic Park to set that stage? It's as timeless as any IP they have.

Splash is in it's own category for flume rides. There's Splash, and everything else.
ToT is in it's own category for drop towers. There's ToT, and everything else.

Uni needs another groundbreaking or "redefining" attraction. Spiderman was one that redefined dark rides. Other rides have caught up to it, arguably, although it's still my personal favorite.
Nothing has come close to topping Splash or ToT- its a position one cant argue against- decades after they've been opened.

I haven't ridden Pirates in Shanghai, but from what Ive seen and heard, it has redefined boat rides. Again- Uni needs to redefine a genre of attraction to something that doesn't exist currently. If that's a Roller coaster, Dark Ride or Simulator, that's fine. And what better IP than Jurassic Park to set that stage? It's as timeless as any IP they have.
You must have missed how hard The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey twisted the mouses tail.

You must have missed how hard The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey twisted the mouses tail.

When I wrote that, I conciously thought to myself- "man- it's gonna sound like you're downplaying FJ and Gringotts". They were incredible- Gringotts being my favorite ride at UOR. And FJ was (and is) certainly groundbreaking technology in every sense. The only reason I didn't mention them, is that they didn't redefine a genre of ride. If anything, FJ potentially created it's own genre- nothing is really like it. Gringotts essentially took the Mummy (my 2nd favorite ride) and improved upon it in many facets. Yes, these are broad generalizations and more goes into it- but I think you understand my point.
Note that I only mentioned 3 rides. Redefining Genres just doesn't happen. No Coaster, for example, has ever "broken the mold" yet, IMO. Maybe we could argue a hybrid like The Mummy did? Or Space in it's day, potentially. But so often people look at "bigger, faster, longer" as the thing that sets it apart- but "different" is often more important. Look no further than ToT as proof.

When I wrote that, I conciously thought to myself- "man- it's gonna sound like you're downplaying FJ and Gringotts". They were incredible- Gringotts being my favorite ride at UOR. And FJ was (and is) certainly groundbreaking technology in every sense. The only reason I didn't mention them, is that they didn't redefine a genre of ride. If anything, FJ potentially created it's own genre- nothing is really like it. Gringotts essentially took the Mummy (my 2nd favorite ride) and improved upon it in many facets. Yes, these are broad generalizations and more goes into it- but I think you understand my point.
Note that I only mentioned 3 rides. Redefining Genres just doesn't happen. No Coaster, for example, has ever "broken the mold" yet, IMO. Maybe we could argue a hybrid like The Mummy did? Or Space in it's day, potentially. But so often people look at "bigger, faster, longer" as the thing that sets it apart- but "different" is often more important. Look no further than ToT as proof.
The Wizarding World, blew up how theme parks are build. And Disney has bought in hook, line, and sinker. Since Disney lost Potter to Universal because of Universal's radical concept of an immersive single IP, multi attraction land, they have built 3 TSL, Carsland, Pandora, and 2 SW:GE.

That seems way more influential, to me, than ToT.

The Wizarding World, blew up how theme parks are build. And Disney has bought in hook, line, and sinker. Since Disney lost Potter to Universal because of Universal's radical concept of an immersive single IP, multi attraction land, they have built 3 TSL, Carsland, Pandora, and 2 SW:GE.

That seems way more influential, to me, than ToT.

I agree Dave, completely. Uni/HP changed the game :cheers:

Create new IP tailor made for theme park integration and hope one or two click.

Wouldn't mind that, to be honest.

I kinda miss the days when Imagineers came together to create original concepts and ideas for new attractions, such as Jungle Cruise, Mission Space, Expedition Everest, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Carribean, Spaceship Earth, it's a small world, Thunder Mountain, Countdown to Extinction, etc. These days, Disney's been all about cramming in their IPs everywhere.

The fun thing about that paradigm shift, the pool of "land" worthy IP is drying up fast.

Then what?

Create new IP tailor made for theme park integration and hope one or two click.

Or use their remaining library of non mainstream IPs that would translate into theme parks despite not being super big amongst the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.