Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any guess how much WB makes off the Potter deal? I'm just curious how lucrative it is for both Uni and WB. Clearly they're all counting money hand over fist- but I'm curious how sizeable for each party.

If WB is making solid change here with minimal risk- I could see them pushing LoTR hard because, well... free money. And better brand recognition to boot done in a fantastic manner.

HP is such a phenomenal selling point for Universal. They can show that to any franchise, like LoTR- and prove to them how they are able to keep their franchise authentic, immersive, not corny as hell (Darth Goofy, anyone?), profitable, and genuinely good for the brand.
They get a fixed annual fee and the merchandise fees; based on the fact that it's not an exclusive rights deal, I'd guess that it's somewhere around $8-10m a year fixed + somewhere around $20m+ in merchandise share every year that WB takes home (off probable HP merchandise sales somewhere in the $200m+ range across the 3 park groups). An incredible earning power for a license; their take from their exclusive US deal for DC-Six Flags is somewhere in the low single digit millions for perspective like most deals of this nature (Six Flags paid $3.3 million for DC + Looney Toons in 2011, when they disclosed that on an SEC form).

It'll be interesting to see what happens at renegotiation post-2028; obviously WB won't want to ruin a good thing, but let's be clear here, the deal has paid off many times over for Universal.

Do we have any guess how much WB makes off the Potter deal? I'm just curious how lucrative it is for both Uni and WB. Clearly they're all counting money hand over fist- but I'm curious how sizeable for each party.

If WB is making solid change here with minimal risk- I could see them pushing LoTR hard because, well... free money. And better brand recognition to boot done in a fantastic manner.

HP is such a phenomenal selling point for Universal. They can show that to any franchise, like LoTR- and prove to them how they are able to keep their franchise authentic, immersive, not corny as hell (Darth Goofy, anyone?), profitable, and genuinely good for the brand.

I have no clue, but theme parks using IPs, well to me, I think WB gets advertising for something they distribute....but when I hear about how many issues HHN seems to have, I guess IP stakeholders see it differently...

Anyway, does WB own the look of the films or something? Is that what would give them a stake?

But to me, I wonder if (outside of the consulting fees), is it just to help keep the product in the public’s eyes for DVD/on demand/tv stations/netflix....I mean in that it might help drive up fees for other use fees of the films....dang, I keep recalling stuff...I worked for Warner at some point in my life, but that was distribution in a time when records and vhs were on top, laser disk and cds were pretty new...there were still phones where you had to dial a number...

I have no clue, but theme parks using IPs, well to me, I think WB gets advertising for something they distribute....but when I hear about how many issues HHN seems to have, I guess IP stakeholders see it differently...

Anyway, does WB own the look of the films or something? Is that what would give them a stake?

But to me, I wonder if (outside of the consulting fees), is it just to help keep the product in the public’s eyes for DVD/on demand/tv stations/netflix....I mean in that it might help drive up fees for other use fees of the films....dang, I keep recalling stuff...I worked for Warner at some point in my life, but that was distribution in a time when records and vhs were on top, laser disk and cds were pretty new...there were still phones where you had to dial a number...
It's because Warner's deal with JK Rowling is fairly comprehensive and makes them effectively her salesman for all things Potter. Warner effectively controls the theme park rights, movie rights, game rights, etc. but she gets to keep a significant say in how things are sold and what things look like, and of course she gets a huge percentage of any profits.

zz44, you must tell us why you know so much about contracts and Wall Street and financial dealings... your perspective is much appreciated.

On another note, someone from here is attending the IAAPA. Is it Brian? If so how did you get entrance tickets? I’ve been under the impression that admission is to the trade only.

Last edited:
zz44, you must tell us why you know so much about contracts and Wall Street and financial dealings... your perspective is much appreciated.

On another note, someone from here is attending the IAAPA. Is it Brian? If so how did you get entrance tickets? I’ve been under the impression that admission is to the trade only.
I’ve seen a few other theme park blogs posting pictures and videos as well. I don’t know if this is any different than prior years, but it looks like they allow media in.

Ewww. Is LOTR still relevant?

g9udmCA.gif

Yeah Im sure there is some great attractions and a beautiful land in there ... I think the barrel scene from The Hobbit 2? would be a great ride..

Status
Not open for further replies.