SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 56 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While it definetely contributed, bad management had caused revenues to slide prior to Blackfish. I don’t think anyone is stupid enough to think Blackfish did nothing to the company.
But plenty thought it wouldn’t do anything to Seaworld at release.

Reactions: WAJAS
Last edited:
True. That’s a good point.

On another note, could this be coming to SeaWorld? It’s made in partnership with Sally and Herschend, but they didn’t say it was going to a Herschend Park. It’d made sense to bring in another IP that kids know. It’s a fairly popular show on PBS.

Sally Corp and Herschend team up for 'Jim Henson's Splash and Bubbles' dark ride

They’d have to acquire those rights separate from Sesame Street. Probably won’t be coming to SeaWorld.

SeaWorld doesn't build off-the-shelf dark rides right? I was under the assumption that they do a lot of design in-house, like Imagineering but with much smaller budgets.

SeaWorld doesn't build off-the-shelf dark rides right? I was under the assumption that they do a lot of design in-house, like Imagineering but with much smaller budgets.
Historically, an outside design team did most of the work with some input from the limited creative team at SeaWorld. Recently they created their own creative, research, and development division (Deep Blue Creative), but a lot of the work still goes to third parties.

Historically, an outside design team did most of the work with some input from the limited creative team at SeaWorld. Recently they created their own creative, research, and development division (Deep Blue Creative), but a lot of the work still goes to third parties.
I always viewed Deep Blue more as a consolidation/vision portion of a project

My wife and I have been to Orlando three times since the fall of 2014. Of those three trips, we had spent at least 50% at universal, and the remaining time at Disney or shopping days. We could have easily gone to Seaworld during any of those trips. But, I had watched Blackfish before our trip in 2014 and now refuse to give my money to a place that treats their animals and employees like that. Make no mistake, Blackfish did MAJOR damage to SWO. I can't be the only person to see that film and make a pledge not to give them business. If I'm not mistaken, there is a direct correlation between when that film took off, and when their revenues really tanked.

Another person who bought the movie's lies :(

Oh puleez... regardless of the film, Seaworld has become nothing more than a circus of trained yet wild mammals. Circuses with wild animals have lost much of their popularity in the United States. That is the cause ofthe parks downfall.
Cursed with irrelevancy...Sea World needs to pivot

It's odd as they were rebranding slightly when they went to "Sea World Adventure Parks", then moved away from that for some reason.

They do need to pivot and they might be at a very slight advantage with the rollercoaster crowd since Universal got rid of Dueling Dragons.

Reactions: anihilnation
Oh puleez... regardless of the film, Seaworld has become nothing more than a circus of trained yet wild mammals. Circuses with wild animals have lost much of their popularity in the United States. That is the cause ofthe parks downfall.

You're right in that SeaWorld needs to pivot slightly, but it's worth remembering that other facilities that do marine mammal presentations are enjoying record attendance. Even SeaWorld is doing well in Texas.

You're right in that SeaWorld needs to pivot slightly, but it's worth remembering that other facilities that do marine mammal presentations are enjoying record attendance. Even SeaWorld is doing well in Texas.

Do you have numbers for this stuff? I am asking because I am interested in how the parks are split up attendance-wise

maybe do a more frequent food & wine type of thing to get the locals going more often...it's working for Epcot!
They already do this. Seven Seas food festival and Bands Brews and BBQ (which I noticed isn't on the calendar for next year?).

Do you have numbers for this stuff? I am asking because I am interested in how the parks are split up attendance-wise

I don't have any specifics, only that Joel Manby said that attendance and revenue has gone up in Texas. Attendance grew in 2016 at that location as well but the $50 million spent on Discovery Point offset EBITDA a little.

It’s interesting isn’t it that the west coast is waning and the east coast is also doing poorly... but good’ole Texas is hangin’ right in there. The state that also has ranches for big game hunting of exotic species. Hmm...

It’s interesting isn’t it that the west coast is waning and the east coast is also doing poorly... but good’ole Texas is hangin’ right in there. The state that also has ranches for big game hunting of exotic species. Hmm...
Are you trying to imply that SeaWorld is inhumane despite being AZA and American Humane Association accredited? (more than most zoos & aquariums can say)

There are so many reasons why SeaWorld San Antonio hasn't suffered as much, but not having as much competition is the main reason why they continue to do well. Not some kind of Texas cowboy stereotype that you're trying to pull :p