Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RnR IS a family ride, you see kids of all ages on it. You also see kids on ToT. Both thrilling rides, both suitable for most ages. Family friendly doesn’t have to be boring. The theming should be spectacular, but if that is the ride system then it might as well be a Disney people mover ride

I wouldn't call a coaster with a 48" height limit a family ride. Anything that excludes the average kid under the age of 8, is excluding a lot of family members.

What is people’s issue with th Mack? People state Universal is lacking in good dark rides and that concept is easily a good darknride mixed with a coaster.

I don't think it's the coaster that people wanted but I think it would a great all round attraction.

Is this thing taking up the entire DC plot or are they leaving themselves some room to play with?

Room is hard to come by in Islands I hope they’re sensible and we don’t have a sprawling Toy Story Playland kind of situation. Where we have a coaster that could take half as much space up, so that there could atleast be further small additions...if not now then in the future. Even even if some was left for whatever they have planned for LC.

Excited for the ride but would be surprised if they use that huge plot which carried 2 people eating B&Ms for 1 coaster.

Because a thrilling B&M is going to be replaced. The whole point of replacing is to make something better.

The only thing that could be better than a dueling inverted B&M would be a hyper/giga or wing coaster... both of which aren't going to happen.

The Mack wouldn't be my first choice but they might as well go in a completely different route instead of trying to recreate that DC thrills/experience, imo.

The only thing that could be better than a dueling inverted B&M would be a hyper/giga or wing coaster... both of which aren't going to happen.

The Mack wouldn't be my first choice but they might as well go in a completely different route instead of trying to recreate that DC thrills/experience, imo.

This is why SeaWorld is so important to the Orlando area. It offers that extra bit of diversity that Hniversal are losing and Disney never really had.

"Better" is relative in this case. And DC had no actual theming. I think most people including myself saw huge red and blue loops in hogsmeade as immersion killers.
If they are going after immersion killers then we need to talk about the building. I hope they can shake some coin loose to clean that up during this makeover. At least paint it sky blue with some white for clouds or something.

Reactions: tankart150
I wouldn't call a coaster with a 48" height limit a family ride. Anything that excludes the average kid under the age of 8, is excluding a lot of family members.

I don't think it's the coaster that people wanted but I think it would a great all round attraction.
And putting in a “kiddie” ride excludes all the pre-teens, teenagers & adults travelling without kids etc. The former being the very audience who begin to get into HP
That’s the whole thing with universal, they have areas for kids, they have areas for everybody and they have thrilling areas.
Disney have always been accused of only being for kids, if universal swap the thrills of a B&M for a HP Arthur clone, then they can rightly be accused of starting down the same route.
Not every ride HAS to be suitable for everybody.

And putting in a “kiddie” ride excludes all the pre-teens, teenagers & adults travelling without kids etc. The former being the very audience who begin to get into HP
That’s the whole thing with universal, they have areas for kids, they have areas for everybody and they have thrilling areas.
Disney have always been accused of only being for kids, if universal swap the thrills of a B&M for a HP Arthur clone, then they can rightly be accused of starting down the same route.

Kiddie rides exclude nobody. What defines a kids ride? Pirates of the Caribbean could be considered a family ride that kids can ride.

You’re right about not every ride having to be suitable for everybody but you’re also saying that Universal have areas for kids when it’s widely known that Kidzone in USF is going sooner rather than later and it leaves very little for kids to enjoy.

If the kids don’t have fun, the parents won’t go.

This whole family friendly thing is quite moot at this point:
1) We have no idea what the ride is going to be like
2) It's up to the park to define what they mean by it. I don't think Universal will be building a wacky-worm here...

Arguing that anything less than a 120ft+ multi-inversion coaster won't be thrilling is crazy. TH13TEEN is deemed a family-coaster but I found it pretty thrilling yet with a lower-height restriction. Taron looks insanely fun for a family-coaster.

Last edited:
But the Mack coaster isn’t a kiddy ride that excludes anyone. It’s literally the perfect balance for every age bracket and is really what Potter needs. It isn’t an IP that needs a high thrills coaster.

Kiddie rides exclude nobody. What defines a kids ride? Pirates of the Caribbean could be considered a family ride that kids can ride.

You’re right about not every ride having to be suitable for everybody but you’re also saying that Universal have areas for kids when it’s widely known that Kidzone in USF is going sooner rather than later and it leaves very little for kids to enjoy.

If the kids don’t have fun, the parents won’t go.
Kiddie rides most certainly do exclude people. You try taking a 12 or 13 year old child on a ride that they think is a kiddie ride. Also loads of adults would be put off by some kiddie rides. For instance I will simply not ride most of the rides in magic kingdom as they are “kiddie rides” and have zero interest to me. I don’t even stop when walking through Seuss landing as it means nothing to me.

Yes the park needs kiddie rides, it also needs more thrilling rides, and the very people most interested in HP simply won’t go near what they perceive to be a kiddie ride. The target audience for HP is 11 plus. The HP rides should be the same IMHO

Reactions: johnnyslimane
But the Mack coaster isn’t a kiddy ride that excludes anyone. It’s literally the perfect balance for every age bracket and is really what Potter needs. It isn’t an IP that needs a high thrills coaster.
The Mack coaster as shown in the POV videos is a kiddie coaster. It might as well be disneys people movers with the speed/range of movement displayed there. HP already has a kiddie ride, FOTH, it has a minor thrill ride in FJ (where people with motion sickness don’t ride) it did have a thrill ride in DC. I understand that it was too thrilling for some. It also impacted visually into hogsmeade (which could easily have been prevented with faux castle walls etc) but it’s replacement should, imho be at least mummy level in terms of thrill. Not a HP version of phantom manor lol

The Mack coaster as shown in the POV videos is a kiddie coaster. It might as well be disneys people movers with the speed/range of movement displayed there. HP already has a kiddie ride, FOTH, it has a minor thrill ride in FJ (where people with motion sickness don’t ride) it did have a thrill ride in DC. I understand that it was too thrilling for some. It also impacted visually into hogsmeade (which could easily have been prevented with faux castle walls etc) but it’s replacement should, imho be at least mummy level in terms of thrill. Not a HP version of phantom manor lol
So... not thrilling?

Because aside from the launch, Mummy is kinda meh, thrill-wise. It's a hop, a helix, and an S-turn. Hippogriff is a more thrilling "coaster." Thrills, and what is thrilling, is entirely subjective. I can understand people being sore that a B&M dueler got scrapped, but the attraction was grossly out-of-place for Harry Potter. Thematically and canonically. Castle walls wouldn't have saved it.

I'd take TH13TEENteen or Taron in a heartbeat though, surrounded by trees, off course.

Kiddie rides most certainly do exclude people. You try taking a 12 or 13 year old child on a ride that they think is a kiddie ride. Also loads of adults would be put off by some kiddie rides. For instance I will simply not ride most of the rides in magic kingdom as they are “kiddie rides” and have zero interest to me. I don’t even stop when walking through Seuss landing as it means nothing to me.

Yes the park needs kiddie rides, it also needs more thrilling rides, and the very people most interested in HP simply won’t go near what they perceive to be a kiddie ride. The target audience for HP is 11 plus. The HP rides should be the same IMHO

This is hilarious. Just because YOU won't ride it or deem it "kiddy" doesn't make it so. I'd consider Big Thunder Mountain not all that thrilling, and I see plenty of 12-13 year olds having a ball on it. The idea that it has to be a scream machine for the Potter crowd to love it is pretty much debunked by Gringotts. The only ride I'd consider truly "intense" in WWoHP is FJ.

Reactions: ChrisFL
No, definitely not thrilling

In no universe is FOTH more thrilling than mummy lol.

DC could easily have been made to fit both thematically (through either forest or quarrylike theming) and canonically, with dragons being shown several times in the books/films

I understand DC needed to go for safety reasons as well as the maintenance costs

Btw having really looking forward to 13 I thought it was rubbish tbh. Didn’t even bother on subsequent visits.

This is hilarious. Just because YOU won't ride it or deem it "kiddy" doesn't make it so. I'd consider Big Thunder Mountain not all that thrilling, and I see plenty of 12-13 year olds having a ball on it. The idea that it has to be a scream machine for the Potter crowd to love it is pretty much debunked by Gringotts. The only ride I'd consider truly "intense" in WWoHP is FJ.
I never said it did
It’s just an opinion, based on raising 2 kids. I KNOW what my children, and their social group, considered a kiddie ride, and thus beneath them. They would 100% consider that Mack coaster to be a kiddie ride and would have zero interest in riding it, and that’s even though both my kids grew up with HP and had me queuing at midnight for the books lol

From what I’ve seen of Arthur I would put it on a par with mermaid or phantom manor, or maybe even ET. How many 12/13 year olds do you see having a ball on those?

I’ve never said it had to be a scream machine for the Potter crowd. I’ve said that to round out the area it needs (imho) to be far more thrilling than that Mack coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.