Trader Sam's Grog Grotto | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Trader Sam's Grog Grotto

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Went there last night for the first time, and thought it was really fun. The drinks are expensive ($21 for one mojito and a non-alcoholic beverage in a souvenir glass), and I've had better mojitos, but I'm a wine drinker and not too much into cocktails. Loved the atmosphere, and it was a fun place for a birthday celebration, and I intend to return. Next time, I'll be on the patio to watch the fireworks.

I would NOT order the food here; mostly appetizers, and for $10-$15 each, I could get a full meal elsewhere. Also, seriously want a Nautilus, but without the alcohol and $50 price tag.

Hi! Has anyone gone to Trader Sams recently? We are planning on going this Wednesday. We have a dinner reservation at Kona Café, at 7:30.
If we get to Trader Sams around opening 4pm...will we still need to wait to get in? Or have the crowds died down a bit.

Also, any recommendations on what drinks to order?

Hi! Has anyone gone to Trader Sams recently? We are planning on going this Wednesday. We have a dinner reservation at Kona Café, at 7:30.
If we get to Trader Sams around opening 4pm...will we still need to wait to get in? Or have the crowds died down a bit.

4pm you’ll be ok, especially in the off season.

Drinks depend on what you prefer. I’m a fan of the Zombie, Uh Oa, and Mai Tai. Krakatoa is good but sweet. Dark and Stormy has fans. Pearl is hot garbage.

4pm you’ll be ok, especially in the off season.

Drinks depend on what you prefer. I’m a fan of the Zombie, Uh Oa, and Mai Tai. Krakatoa is good but sweet. Dark and Stormy has fans. Pearl is hot garbage.

Is the Nautilus worth $50? I was probably going to get a zombie.

I went last Wednesday night around 5:45. I just needed a spot for myself at the bar, so I had no trouble. It was busy, but not overwhelming like it used to be.

I had the Tahitian Torch, which was good. I also had the pork tacos which I was really impressed by.

My friends were having dinner at the California Grill, so I went up to the lounge at the Contemporary to meet them. We then watched Happily Ever After from outside on one of the observation decks and it was a pretty spectacular experience. It gets very busy though, and I only got into the lounge when I did because I had friends upstairs. So it's tough to get in, but I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Mad Dog
we will be in the park on Friday for fireworks, we plan on spending Wednesday night just hanging out at the Poly. I haven't been since the remodel.

It’s $60 with the mug if I’m not mistaken, way less for just the drink. It’s a fine drink if memory serves correct, just not my favorite.

So when you order a drink, does it always come in a special mug, or do you have to pay extra for it to be in the mug and you then take it home?

we will be in the park on Friday for fireworks, we plan on spending Wednesday night just hanging out at the Poly. I haven't been since the remodel.

Have you been to the Tambu lounge outside Ohana? I don't care for pineapple, but friends got a Lapu Lapu and raved about it. It's served in a pineapple and was apparently a decent pour. It's Barcardi 151 and tropical juices.

Have you been to the Tambu lounge outside Ohana? I don't care for pineapple, but friends got a Lapu Lapu and raved about it. It's served in a pineapple and was apparently a decent pour. It's Barcardi 151 and tropical juices.

no I haven't been to the Poly in several years. We will be with my 8 year old, so I don't think we will be lounging very long. Original idea was to go to Trader Sams after dinner, but it's 21 and up after 7 I think. So we are going to hit it when it opens, have a drink/app, and then walk around the resort while we wait for our 7:30 reservation.

no I haven't been to the Poly in several years. We will be with my 8 year old, so I don't think we will be lounging very long. Original idea was to go to Trader Sams after dinner, but it's 21 and up after 7 I think. So we are going to hit it when it opens, have a drink/app, and then walk around the resort while we wait for our 7:30 reservation.

That's kinda what we did last night. Got drinks at Tambu and headed down to the beach. Didn't plan it but ended up catching Electrical Water Pagent. Definitely a cool place to walk around.

That's kinda what we did last night. Got drinks at Tambu and headed down to the beach. Didn't plan it but ended up catching Electrical Water Pagent. Definitely a cool place to walk around.

That's a good idea!!, what time is the Electrical water Pagent?

the nautilus mug is really cool, and very unique to Disney. It's hard to resist it. I have a ton of tiki mugs from Mai Kai and other spots, but nothing quite like that.

Should have no problem getting in at 4. BTW, kids actually get kicked out at 8, tho they start pushing you around 7:45.

Tropical Dark & Stormy is best drink overall, but doesn't have its own mug. Of the mug drinks, Zombie best if you don't mind the taste of alcohol, Hipopotamaitai best if you don't want to taste the booze. Krakatoa is very sweet. Nautilus is a good drink, but at around $30 even without the mug, still overpriced. Uh Oa is the most fun show, but I remember almost nothing about the drink despite having had it many times.