Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Trader Sam's Grog Grotto

I've been a couple of times so far, and I think it really depends on when you go that will make or break your experience.

I completely agree. If you go in at opening after there's been a line, of course everyone is going to order one of the "effects" drinks. Keep in mind, most videos online were bloggers/fanbois trying to be the first to document. By the end of the night, as things slow down, the effects aren't as rapid-paced. Also, some bartenders/servers get more excited than others. You can tell the frustrated Jungle Cruise skippers from the ones who are looking more to make drinks and get tips.

As for slow table service, I've found that to be an issue in most WDW bars that offer it, unless you know your server.

Does anyone know how bad the waits have been this week? Hoping that Saturday won't be an enormous wait.

Last night was not overly crowded. Maybe 20-30 minutes at 5:15, friends showed up around 7:30 and were buzzed in by the time they walked to the patio. I think the dinner hour might be the sweet spot, after the initial rush. Turn-over seems to be improving, as well, other than off-duty Skippers.

Got there about 8:30 last night and was told 2 hour wait which was actually about 1:30 hour wait.

Thought the place was really cool and exactly what I was hoping for, service was a ltitle slow. Drinks were a little on the sweet and cinnamon side for me, got Mai tai, shrunken head, and uh-oa. Uh-oa was by far the most cinnamon but that may have had something to do with the fire powder I kept throwing in :p I swear the only drink being ordered was the dang hippo in a tree.

I heard the black pearls won't be in rotation till next year, the first one was a mistake. Also a lot of the glasses are from the enchanted tiki room instead of grog'S grotto Because of the shipping problems.

I would like to pose a question. if it is a cross between merchandise and alcohol and no discounts work, do you tip standard drink tips, restaurant stylet flat percent, or tip in between somewhere with merchandise prices accounted for?

I'll have a larger post up soon, but I was happy and pleased with the GG. I found that at WDW the servers get into the jokes more, while at DL it's the bar tenders. (thought this might just be dependent on who's working)

Real quick Trader Sam's review and impressions.

We arrived around 3pm and were the only ones in line till around 330pm. It was truly bizarre situation and we thought we were waiting at the wrong place. Around 350pm a CM came out for the stamps (pirate hat!) and we were let in. The bar was not full till later in the day, and by the time we left there was a 90 minute wait. We sat at the longboard table.

[HASHTAG]#SkipperJames[/HASHTAG] (hashtag not optional) was our skipper and played the part with manic enthusiasm and sass. The guy got a good tip from us all.

I ordered the Hippopoto-Mai Tai, Uh Oa, and Zombie. I had tastes of the Nautilus and Pearl. The real winner IMHO was the Nautilus, which was amazing. I really enjoyed the Mai Tai also, and the Zombie was strong but good. Uh Oa was a slight disappointment but still very good.

For food I had a bite of the corn dogs and ordered the sliders for myself. The sliders were amazing and a huge surprise. They're served in rolls like a taco; the bread had a slit cut in it and the food filled the inside/on top. The corn dogs were a disappointment: mushy and the sausage casing was too ridged, making it hard to bite to eat.

Overall I loved TS and it gets my seal of approval. It's a worthy follow up to the DLR one, different enough yet enough to stand on its own in WDW culture.

I will be going back.

So I've been collecting recipes for the drinks at Trader Sam's. Here's what I've found and they've all been close.

Uh Oa (Requires Falernum, make your own here)

Krakatoa (No recipe for Gorilla Grog yet, but I've made it using a mixture of Guava, Passion Fruit, Orange Juice, and pineapple juice.)

Shipwreck

I took inputs and created my own Hippopoto-mai tai recipe. It's not perfect but close.

1oz Light Rum
1oz Dark (or Spiced) Rum
0.25 oz Orgeat
0.25 oz Agave
0.5 oz Orange Curacao

UPDATE

I have found a GOOD GORILLA GROG RECIPE FOR YOUR KRAKATOAS

Gorilla Grog
• 1 oz Passion Fruit juice
• 1 oz Orange juice (no pulp)
• 1 oz Guava juice
• 1 oz Pineapple juice
• 2 oz lemon juice
• .25 oz. Orgeat
• .25 oz. Falernum

UPDATE

I have found a GOOD GORILLA GROG RECIPE FOR YOUR KRAKATOAS

Gorilla Grog
• 1 oz Passion Fruit juice
• 1 oz Orange juice (no pulp)
• 1 oz Guava juice
• 1 oz Pineapple juice
• 2 oz lemon juice
• .25 oz. Orgeat
• .25 oz. Falernum

Where's the booz??? An ounce of top shelf vodka perhaps? Two? Three?

With the Mai Kai only a few miles from my house, I find this "Disney version" cute, but not nearly as good as the real thing.

If anyone is looking for good tiki drink recipes I recommend searching Amazon for the books of Beachbum Berry. You're welcome.

I'm a Trader Sam's veteran and finally got to try Grog Grotto a few weeks ago. I was surprised with how different the two experiences are. I feel like at TS you can sit at the bar and be entertained for hours by the bartenders, and I felt like TSGG was more of a lounge and not as intimate. The bartenders are always the stars at TS in California, but I felt the wait staff at TSGG were much more entertaining compared to the West Coast servers.

We went through the entire menu at TSGG, and $300+ later I've decided that I really HATE the food. The drinks were mostly great -- there were a few with unusual tastes like the Dark & Tropical Stormy -- but the food was almost inedible compared to the fantastic pupus they serve in Disneyland.

We went through the entire menu at TSGG, and $300+ later I've decided that I really HATE the food. The drinks were mostly great -- there were a few with unusual tastes like the Dark & Tropical Stormy -- but the food was almost inedible compared to the fantastic pupus they serve in Disneyland.

I thought the sausages and bahn mi were decent, but I'd kill for the panko long beans from DL to come here!

I thought the sausages and bahn mi were decent, but I'd kill for the panko long beans from DL to come here!

Amen. And the Spicy Asian Wings. Mmmm.

Actually, the Kalua Pork Tacos at TSGG were great. Next time I'd just order several rounds of the tacos. Might even be the best thing on either coasts' menus.

I always order a Krakatoa because it comes with the light up ice cubes that serve as excellent back-lights on my desk and bookshelves. On another note, uh...anyone want plan on going to Sam's this week? I'll meet ya there. Jungleskip...? Disneyhead...? Guys?

I always order a Krakatoa because it comes with the light up ice cubes that serve as excellent back-lights on my desk and bookshelves. On another note, uh...anyone want plan on going to Sam's this week? I'll meet ya there. Jungleskip...? Disneyhead...? Guys?

Get a Polynesian Pearl mug, turn the Krakatoa light to blue, and throw it in the Pearl. It looks awesome!

Skip is in Philly :p

Went tonight...had a nice time but would be lying if I said it's what I had expected. Being greeted with a 45-minute wait upon entering, I was expecting the place to be packed, but nope. Their max capacity seems very empty. Low-energy vibe. Liked the drinks and LOVED the souvenir cups tho. I just thought the atmosphere would be improved if they let more people in. Also thought the servers on the terrace were kinda annoying and that the indoor servers were disappointingly low-key. Overall, I had a great time there and its a nice place to drink but coming from the Gainesville college bars, it was a bit disaappointing. I guess it's great for older people but I'll stick with Miller's and Rocco's for my Orlando bar fix for now.