Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 77 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It fits in quite well.

It does look a little cheap though. I know that's meant to be the aesthetic, so I won't hold that too much against it. It'll be interesting to see how this looks in the park on a bright sunny day (i.e. without mood lighting)
Looks like a small County Fair entrance & facade..

TSL completely looks like garbage, but you do need these rides to eat crowds in order to keep E-ticket lines manageable. So, good for TDO for recognizing this.

Actually, F&F and Fallon serve the same purpose (although I really do enjoy Fallon). Less so, even, because the virtual queue lets people stand in line for other rides while they "wait" for these D-tickets (or C even).

Can't have everyone standing in line for Potter or Star Wars all day.

Wow, does anybody on this site ever like anything new? I've read countless hate posts on Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, and Fast and Furious Supercharged. I've even read posts of people complaining that Avatar wasn't themed well. Seriously? There's a reason I rarely comment here. You guys have unrealistic standards. Maybe you guys should stop complaining for once and be thankful that Disney and Universal are investing so heavily in these parks. Now, obviously you don't have to like everything. But, I can't understand the hate sometimes. What a shame. For everyone that's excited for this land, you guys are the real fans!

Wow, does anybody on this site ever like anything new? I've read countless hate posts on Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, and Fast and Furious Supercharged. I've even read posts of people complaining that Avatar wasn't themed well. Seriously? There's a reason I rarely comment here. You guys have unrealistic standards. Maybe you guys should stop complaining for once and be thankful that Disney and Universal are investing so heavily in these parks. Now, obviously you don't have to like everything. But, I can't understand the hate sometimes. What a shame. For everyone that's excited for this land, you guys are the real fans!
i mean i agree to a certain extent but like most message boards this board is passionate about the parks and sometimes that makes people hyper critical wanting the absolute best for disney and universal

Reactions: Ashhanbre

*sigh*

Being "real fans" means being critical, and not blindly accepting everything new as being flawless. TSL and FF are both bland and under utilize their brand. Pixar Place is a shameless relic of old DCA that undermines everything they've tried to do to fix that park.

If peope get "excited" over legitimate crap like TSL, that doesn't encourage Disney to push for bigger and better things like SWL. If fans aren't critical with their wallets and opinions, the parks themselves never will be.

i would consider myself a fan of both resorts and think this land is a big nothing burger
possibly the worst land built by Disney since Dinoland USA

Again, seems like you’re in the minority. Still a valid opinion.

Mike, I would like to hear what you think is a worse land than this that disney has built since dinoland.

Pandora? New fantasyland? Asia? Storybook Circus? I think all are great for what they are- in particular compared to this. I fail to see how he’s “in the minority”.

I’m fine with this land. Not excited about it, but fine with it. The way I see it, when a company announces that they’re opening two new lands in the same park a year apart, a reasonable expectation would be that only one of those is going to be truly spectacular with the other being very budget-conscious (as evidenced by all the cuts from the already thin offerings). I see a similar story with F&F being sandwiched between Volcano Bay and the new Potter coaster. I imagine that recycling the Kong ride system and USH ride elements got them some major savings. Another similar occurrence is the inexpensive-but-effective Storybook Circus when compared to the more substantial New Fantasyland. When there are so many projects going on at the same time, you’re going to have one or two that need to be light on the wallet. The masses will be relatively happy with this, but those of us that know what these companies can do can’t help but feel some disappointment, capital constraints be damned. I personally choose the happy medium, so for me, it’s fine.

Reactions: WebHead1138
*sigh*

Being "real fans" means being critical, and not blindly accepting everything new as being flawless. TSL and FF are both bland and under utilize their brand. Pixar Place is a shameless relic of old DCA that undermines everything they've tried to do to fix that park.

If peope get "excited" over legitimate crap like TSL, that doesn't encourage Disney to push for bigger and better things like SWL. If fans aren't critical with their wallets and opinions, the parks themselves never will be.
There's nothing wrong with being critical. I even stated that in my original post. But, some people on this site have unrealistic standards. I'm not a blind fanboy, but at the same time I'm realistic. Not everything is going to be "Star Wars Quality." Which is funny in itself since that people use an unopened land as reference. I'll give you an example of something I'm not thrilled about. Adding Mickey as a replacement for the great movie ride was a mistake in my opinion. It doesn't fit at all. But, I'm not going to complain to much about it. I know it's going to be a good time. Sometimes you just need to be appreciative with what you get. Otherwise, your going to dislike every new thing.

I’m fine with this land. Not excited about it, but fine with it. The way I see it, when a company announces that they’re opening two new lands in the same park a year apart, a reasonable expectation would be that only one of those is going to be truly spectacular with the other being very budget-conscious (as evidenced by all the cuts from the already thin offerings). I see a similar story with F&F being sandwiched between Volcano Bay and the new Potter coaster. I imagine that recycling the Kong ride system and USH ride elements got them some major savings. Another similar occurrence is the inexpensive-but-effective Storybook Circus when compared to the more substantial New Fantasyland. When there are so many projects going on at the same time, you’re going to have one or two that need to be light on the wallet. The masses will be relatively happy with this, but those of us that know what these companies can do can’t help but feel some disappointment, capital constraints be damned. I personally choose the happy medium, so for me, it’s fine.
Finally, someone who speaks my language!

Reactions: pat_naughty05

I'm far more excited for other things going around in the industry this year, with Fox Malaysia, Mission Ferrari, and multiple other things across the world as opposed to just one market.

Fast and Furious Supercharged, Pixar Pier, and TSL are wastes of what they could be, and that for Pixar Pier, it hurts more as a fan of what Paradise Pier was originally.

If anything, it's ok that we all have different opinions, as everyone will be different.

To go back into my hate for TSL, I would not be as angry about it, if it weren't for the huge budget cuts made to the land, as if they kept it on the original design alongside 2 additional flats, I think a few people would be on your side more, but this doesn't exactly add capacity for DHS.

Reactions: jtsalien
Say what you want about Toy Story Land, but I feel like Alien Swirling Saucers is going to be the low-key hit of the year... at least for me. Slinky? Meh. F&F Supercharged? Yuck. But a really fun flat ride that's the first of its style at WDW? I'll take it.

Say what you want about Toy Story Land, but I feel like Alien Swirling Saucers is going to be the low-key hit of the year... at least for me. Slinky? Meh. F&F Supercharged? Yuck. But a really fun flat ride that's the first of its style at WDW? I'll take it.

If Infinity Falls opens sometime this year, I can see that being a black horse, if done properly. Honestly, it's not a good year for the theme parks, to where I think the USF Nighttime Show may be more entertaining than anything else.

TSL, while I've dumped quite often, I do want to to be surprising, but that they should've made sure that land can get the park to a high capacity for it to prepare itself for SWL and Runaway Railway.

If Infinity Falls opens sometime this year, I can see that being a black horse, if done properly. Honestly, it's not a good year for the theme parks, to where I think the USF Nighttime Show may be more entertaining than anything else.
I'm sure Infinity Falls will be fine, but I don't care much about SWO so it doesn't apply to me.

FYI, FF is not using the same ride system as Kong. Those two are similar, in the way that Rockit and Woody Woodpecker are similar. Yes they are both electric buses. But how the vehicles achieve their simulated motion are fundamentally different. You can thank the Kong issues and snapped RV suspensions for that. FF will be more similar to the Studio Tour in Hollywood.

There's nothing wrong with being critical. I even stated that in my original post. But, some people on this site have unrealistic standards. I'm not a blind fanboy, but at the same time I'm realistic. Not everything is going to be "Star Wars Quality." Which is funny in itself since that people use an unopened land as reference. I'll give you an example of something I'm not thrilled about. Adding Mickey as a replacement for the great movie ride was a mistake in my opinion. It doesn't fit at all. But, I'm not going to complain to much about it. I know it's going to be a good time. Sometimes you just need to be appreciative with what you get. Otherwise, your going to dislike every new thing.

But the fans don't set that expectation, Disney itself does. They set the bar for quality. They are the ones that take pride in being the best in the world at what they do.

Nobody says everything has to be an E-ticket. But everything has to be effective. And this isn't an effective use of the IP, use of the space, or use of budget. And whether or not anyone actually enjoys the land won't change that.

Reactions: Mad Dog