Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
New Disney Dish has Jim Hill saying Wonders of Life is supposedly being eyed for Wakanda/Black Panther attraction, possibly reusing the dome structure already there as the invisible barrier featured in the movie. Black Panther is so deep with the Avengerss/Fantastic Four families I would think Universal has dibs though.

Then again, I never expected the Guardians of the Galaxy to be at WDW either so idk anymore.

From what I understand, the modern version of Guardians of the Galaxy was created after the Universal/Marvel deal was signed (so I guess different enough from the comics?), so it was allowed.

Wonders/Black Panther makes sense in possibility. You have four empty simulator bays, that could be easily filled with new ATLAS models, with the attraction being those remotely controlled ships that will whisk you through Wakanda. The adjacent theater for Cranium Command would obviously be gutted and turned into an elaborate preshow. Exit out where you used to enter into Body Wars into a gift shop.

Then we encounter the contract. People keep insisting that Disney used a loophole to allow Guardians but I think that's BS. I am sure there were talks between Disney and Universal, and Disney was caught massively off-guard by BP's insane success. This movie will end up making more than The Last Jedi. This is something that Disney will definitely at least try to fight for. So I have to imagine the lawyers are meeting and seeing if anything could be hashed out.

The ultimate issue is that BP was in the Fantastic Four... which currently has a space in MSHI, though themed around Doctor Doom. However, poster aside, BP doesn't appear in Doctor Doom, and the attraction itself has been rumored to be on the chopping block for awhile. I'd have to think that some sort of bargain would have to take place between the two to gain the 'blessing' to move forward on a BP attraction in Epcot. And they could always say no.

But that doesn't mean the talks can't happen, or aren't happening.

Honestly, I'd rather have Wakanda replace Dinoland USA as opposed to having it replace an Epcot pavilion.

What

I don't see any Black Panther anything in WDW. Also BLACK PANTHER DOESN'T BELONG IN FUTURE WORLD OR EPCOT.

So doesn't Guardians but here we are. At least Wakanda is a futuristic society developing new tech.

Wonders/Black Panther makes sense in possibility. You have four empty simulator bays, that could be easily filled with new ATLAS models, with the attraction being those remotely controlled ships that will whisk you through Wakanda. The adjacent theater for Cranium Command would obviously be gutted and turned into an elaborate preshow. Exit out where you used to enter into Body Wars into a gift shop.

Then we encounter the contract. People keep insisting that Disney used a loophole to allow Guardians but I think that's BS. I am sure there were talks between Disney and Universal, and Disney was caught massively off-guard by BP's insane success. This movie will end up making more than The Last Jedi. This is something that Disney will definitely at least try to fight for. So I have to imagine the lawyers are meeting and seeing if anything could be hashed out.

The ultimate issue is that BP was in the Fantastic Four... which currently has a space in MSHI, though themed around Doctor Doom. However, poster aside, BP doesn't appear in Doctor Doom, and the attraction itself has been rumored to be on the chopping block for awhile. I'd have to think that some sort of bargain would have to take place between the two to gain the 'blessing' to move forward on a BP attraction in Epcot. And they could always say no.

But that doesn't mean the talks can't happen, or aren't happening.

What

So doesn't Guardians but here we are. At least Wakanda is a futuristic society developing new tech.
Yeah, but Wakanda really really doesn't belong in Epcot haha

Wakanda fits better than Guardians and Frozen, even if it still doesn't fit.

Honestly, the best location for Wakanda would be a new Adventureland sub-area in Magic Kingdom.

There's definitely going to be a Black Panther attraction at some point, just not guaranteed in WDW. The movie is currently the second highest grossing MCU film domestically, beating Civil War, Age of Ultron, and both GOTG 1 and 2. Plus it's on track to soon make over a billion worldwide, possibly reaching or even beating Civil War's worldwide gross. Basically, Black Panther is a cultural phenomenon and the most successful standalone MCU film yet. They'd be fools to not capitalize it in at least ONE of their parks.

That said, it's a bit tricky to fit into any of their parks.
- Magic Kingdom is probably one of the better fits. You could use Adventureland's expansion plot to fit in a nice little Wakandan sub-area, and it wouldn't be too jarring and would help counteract the crowds TRON will bring in. However, MK doesn't really need much expansion compared to the other parks right now.
- Animal Kingdom is brought up because it has Africa, but other than that connection it has almost no ties to DAK whatsoever. It'd be a poor fit, IMO.
- EPCOT makes a tiny amount of sense, in that Wakanda is a technologically innovative country and that it could fit next to GOTG. It's a better fit than GOTG for sure, but it still doesn't exactly work.
- DHS is IMO the best fit. An afro-futuristic city would contrast Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land nicely, as well as represent Marvel Studios in their Studio park.

...there are no animals outside of Rhinos. At least Pandora has alien life.

An argument that can be made, is that Wakanda is it's own nation, outside of what Africa features in the real world.

Hypothetically, if Wakanda was to come to DAK, they can bring species of animals and life, not yet seen in the Africa/Harambe areas, unique to that area that aren't anywhere else in the park.

It'd make more sense than having it use primarily a metal that is used by Captain America in his shield, Vibranium.
__
A question, has anything been rumored of the Imagination pavilions fate in the light of the Epcot overhaul? Figment is rising more to become almost a mascot in the park for a lot of the events, and it could be fascinating to see how they'd change up Journey into Imagination, for better or worse.

A question, has anything been rumored of the Imagination pavilions fate in the light of the Epcot overhaul? Figment is rising more to become almost a mascot in the park for a lot of the events, and it could be fascinating to see how they'd change up Journey into Imagination, for better or worse.

I think that's still in blue sky. I think it's gonna be totally demo'd like Horizons.

An argument that can be made, is that Wakanda is it's own nation, outside of what Africa features in the real world.

Hypothetically, if Wakanda was to come to DAK, they can bring species of animals and life, not yet seen in the Africa/Harambe areas, unique to that area that aren't anywhere else in the park.

It'd make more sense than having it use primarily a metal that is used by Captain America in his shield, Vibranium.

I think that's a harder sell than next to Guardians in Future World at the moment. Seems that people are too narrowly focused on the culture and not on what Animal Kingdom is supposed to be.

Isn't that what they turned Tomorrowland into?

I can't even keep track anymore. These are all just IP havens by this point.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Honestly, I'd rather have Wakanda replace Dinoland USA as opposed to having it replace an Epcot pavilion.
No...? I mean what's the point?

DAK already has Africa/Harambe. The only substantive difference between Wakanda and Harambe is that Wakanda is incredibly technologically advanced.

It's not just that easy. Those 4 simulator bays are 30 years old, have had any and all working parts salvaged to be used for Star Tours and the operating tech is severely outdated.

What you describe would also be SEVERELY underwhelming. You're talking about using late 80's technology for a fictional country that is all about being ahead of it's time technologically. And this would be the only attraction too, since you're gutting Cranium Command in this situation.

I honestly think no matter what happens to WoL, whenever they use it for the park again, it needs to be a full demo and rebuild. As soon as you step in there it's like stepping into a mall food court that hasn't been renovated since the late 80's.

IMO after Guardians my response is, "I give up." Wakanda, again, is a society that is furthering technology so hey it kind of fits so why not?
It just makes me chuckle that people are still surprised by what Disney does to Epcot. The EPCOT Center "glory days" were a whopping 10 years of it's 35 year existence and it's been nothing but downhill since.

EPCOT Center was dead and buried by the Late 90's/Early 2000's and now it's just a relic that Disney uses for nostalgia purposes on merchandise.

What you describe would also be SEVERELY underwhelming. You're talking about using late 80's technology for a fictional country that is all about being ahead of it's time technologically. And this would be the only attraction too, since you're gutting Cranium Command in this situation.

Meanwhile, over at HKDL they used that same late 80's technology to create a new Iron Man Ride....which was also supposed to be a super high-tech superhero

Reactions: tankart150