Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 173 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I play video games a lot, but they just don’t lend themselves to theme parks as the popularity isn’t there. Nintendo spans multiple generations with wildly popular characters. Monster world doesn’t do that. Why waste a launch coaster on a sonic when you could use it for the much better IP of Back to the future? Horizon Zero Dawn is a gorgeous game, but just isn’t theme park worthy.

I play video games a lot, but they just don’t lend themselves to theme parks as the popularity isn’t there. Nintendo spans multiple generations with wildly popular characters. Monster world doesn’t do that. Why waste a launch coaster on a sonic when you could use it for the much better IP of Back to the future? Horizon Zero Dawn is a gorgeous game, but just isn’t theme park worthy.

I don't think we'll ever see BTTF again. It may be a good movie series, but there's a reason Universal replaced it with something else. Sonic, on the other hand, is an easily recognizable character that has been around for a long time and has current popularity.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Neither is Jimmy Fallon, Men in Black, or Trolls.
Trolls was one of the highest selling toy brands of 2016, Jimmy Fallon is a marketable and recognizable celebrity, and the first Men in Black did 500m at the box office and spawned a series. I'd say those are much more marketable than Monster Hunter.

Can we stop arguing that Uni should add other game IPs? Even if there are ones that ARE eligible, why would they bother? Nintendo already has a wealth of marketable video game IPs to choose from and they're already working with Nintendo. Might as well continue to pull from them before bringing in other properties.

Reactions: Mike S
I don't think we'll ever see BTTF again. It may be a good movie series, but there's a reason Universal replaced it with something else. Sonic, on the other hand, is an easily recognizable character that has been around for a long time and has current popularity.
Except the fact his modern games mostly suck, sure.

Does he though? The last few sonic games have bombed.

Sonic's track record..hasn't been the best. And that the main series has actually been getting almost more and more negative responses, due to how they have been playing it safe (almost like a Nintendo franchise we know, Starfox).

Unless the Sony Pictures Sonic Film is a hit, Sonic The Hedgehog will not be a evergreen IP like Mario, Pokemon, and other properties from Nintendo.

Sonic's track record..hasn't been the best. And that the main series has actually been getting almost more and more negative responses, due to how they have been playing it safe (almost like a Nintendo franchise we know, Starfox).

Unless the Sony Pictures Sonic Film is a hit, Sonic The Hedgehog will not be a evergreen IP like Mario, Pokemon, and other properties from Nintendo.

.........That's a thing? Nevermind, everyone pray for Sonic.

I don't think the actual game have to be good, I think it's more about the idea of the character itself other than the games since most people don't actually play the games.

I've asked this around some of my friends who have been large Sonic fans in the past, but they've been more and more alienated with a lot of the more recent Sonic stuff (outside of Mania). It's just not what it used to be in a sense, even if it was already a troubled franchise when it went onto the 3D age of platforming.

I just don't see a way it can make sense for Universal to bring Sonic, as he isn't as popular as he used to be.

Sorry, I'm not trying to discredit those properties. I'm just trying to say that there are lots of non-Nintendo video game IP's. You can't say that they aren't theme park material, because they can be. This forum kinda refuses to acknowledge that there are other video game IP's that are not Nintendo-based that can make for great rides.

I mean, look what Disney did for Tron. They took an abysmal IP and turned it into one of their best rides. It's not impossible to turn a lower tier IP into something great.

IMO, things like Minecraft, Monster Hunter, and Sonic can be turned into great lands and/or rides. Minecraft is a land waiting to happen, Monster Hunter can be made into a dark ride, and Sonic can be made into a launched coaster.

I think you are confusing that would make a good ride vs what Uni would ever actually build. There are tons of games out there that would translate to a great ride or a neat area. The problem isn't if the source material would fit in a theme park. The problem is that those fringe games do not have enough following for Universal or Disney to invest hundreds of millions of dollars into building a ride or area for them. Hell, I'd love a South Park area. Theres so many ideas they could pull that would make for great food, merch and rides. There is a central area the show in built around that people know. The visuals are easy to translate. It practically designs itself. But theres no way in hell they ever put South Park anywhere in the parks. The same goes for these 2nd and lower tier games.

I think you got to look at the data first before you make this argument. If you are going to say video games don't lend themselves to theme parks than you should hate the Nintendo deal.

Video game industry not even including consoles makes more than the movie industry.
Why Aren't Video Games as Respected as Movies? | Hollywood Reporter
Investing in Video Games: This Industry Pulls In More Revenue Than Movies, Music - Nasdaq.com

Secondly, even when using game data, while Nintendo characters are extremely recognized, sales data shows that other IPs are just as valuable if not more.
I do find it interesting Final Fantasy is niche yet the series has outsold Zelda, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong in pure sales.

Thirdly, Universal is building an attraction based off Jason Bourne. The term niche has gone out the window since they are making a ride that didn't even break 500 mil at the box office including the international numbers. Also some of Disney's greatest attractions where based on little known ips (Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Splash Mountain, etc).

Lastly, its not the IP, its the execution.

Maybe living in Asia where people from ages 10-60 go to PC cafes to game and pay arcade games like crazy have blinded me from life in the states but last time I checked these parks were trying to be world class not just for the domestic guests.

I think you got to look at the data first before you make this argument. If you are going to say video games don't lend themselves to theme parks than you should hate the Nintendo deal.

Video game industry not even including consoles makes more than the movie industry.
Why Aren't Video Games as Respected as Movies? | Hollywood Reporter
Investing in Video Games: This Industry Pulls In More Revenue Than Movies, Music - Nasdaq.com

Secondly, even when using game data, while Nintendo characters are extremely recognized, sales data shows that other IPs are just as valuable if not more.
I do find it interesting Final Fantasy is niche yet the series has outsold Zelda, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong in pure sales.

Thirdly, Universal is building an attraction based off Jason Bourne. The term niche has gone out the window since they are making a ride that didn't even break 500 mil at the box office including the international numbers. Also some of Disney's greatest attractions where based on little known ips (Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Splash Mountain, etc).

Lastly, its not the IP, its the execution.

Maybe living in Asia where people from ages 10-60 go to PC cafes to game and pay arcade games like crazy have blinded me from life in the states but last time I checked these parks were trying to be world class not just for the domestic guests.
This conversation was games outside of Nintendo. The Nintendo properties lend themselves to rides and are extremely popular. Monster hunter? No.

With little research Final Fantasy has sold 130 units through 58 titles. Mario Kart is almost over 100 million with a much smaller amount of games.

Jason Bourne isn’t a ride, it’s a stunt show which is perfectly fine for an action movie. It isn’t getting it’s own area or a large e ticket.

Why do video game movies always bomb? They very rarely lend themselves to other media types. Theme parks will be no different.

Last edited:
This conversation was games outside of Nintendo. The Nintendo properties lend themselves to rides and are extremely popular. Monster hunter? No.

With little research Final Fantasy has sold 130 units through 58 titles. Mario Kart is almost over 100 million with a much smaller amount of games.

Jason Bourne isn’t a ride, it’s a stunt show which is perfectly fine for an action movie. It isn’t getting it’s own area or a large e ticket.

Why do video game movies always bomb? They very rarely lend themselves to other media types. Theme parks will be no different.

Its not like superhero movies didn't bomb for a short time in the states and last time I checked Resident Evil is a video game movie and it didn't bomb. If by that defintiely Universal is wasting their time making a Mario Movie because its going to bomb and they rarely lend themselves to other media types. In fact Mario has already bombed before.

Games are built on interactivity...which is what Universal is all about. Harry Potter wands reacting is essentially a video game being played in real life. Movies don't offfer interactivty which is part of the reason they can't be adapted because the audience doesn't make any decisions. That's why video games adapting to theme parks wouldn't fail.

I mean look at TSM...which is a Wii game that people ride at a theme park.

And for people who complain about the lack of AAs, the work is already done for most of them already for FF and other RPG based games.

Last edited:
To cite that video games is a bigger industry than movies is... not looking at the broader picture. Even looking at that Nasdaq article, PC games are bigger than console games, and bother will be overtaken by mobile gaming shortly. The reason why those are bigger than console games (and thus, why gaming is so big as an "industry") is any coder with an idea can make a game. Remember Flappy Bird? That's part of what makes the industry so big. I eagerly await Clash of Clanstown, Candy Crush Hollow, and FarmVille in the next park, if we're going strictly on financial popularity.

Nintendo's brand in video games is similar to Disney's in entertainment generally.

There's a "brand halo" that Nintendo's video game initiatives get from families because of their long-term focus on gaming available for all ages and that's safe for families. That's a distinct advantage that they have in the market place. It doesn't mean they can release anything and have it sell (see GameCube and Wii U), but they have the advantage that families will always give them a look around Christmas-time and whenever they're looking for entertainment options.

As far as video games generally go, there are other games as popular as Nintendo's sure, but very few have any meaning in a theme park discussion like this.

Final Fantasy has outsold Zelda sure, but Zelda has a core definition that's much stronger and lends itself to theme park or movies in a much better way: 1) repetition of scenery and 2) repetition of characters.

Those are huge strengths for any franchise because they generate multi-decade ties to the same characters and lands. That's why even though Zelda is nowhere near as big as Mario or Pokemon, it's probably going to be able to anchor its own prospective land in IoA because you have Link/Zelda/Ganon/Hyrule and most gamers can tie back to those anchors even if they haven't played a Zelda game in over a decade or two. And then combine that with the Nintendo brand halo for families, and you're set.

As far as pop culture goes and mind share, Mario and Pokemon are on another planet. You can mention those to any parent (even people that have never played video games themselves), and there's a decent chance that they will recognize them.

No other video games are like that. All of this is why it makes sense to spread Nintendo through all 3 parks, while you're probably not going to see much in the way of other video games in the parks.

I mean look at TSM...which is a Wii game that people ride at a theme park.
OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT REMEMBERED THAT GAME
To cite that video games is a bigger industry than movies is... not looking at the broader picture. Even looking at that Nasdaq article, PC games are bigger than console games, and both will be overtaken by mobile gaming shortly. The reason why those are bigger than console games (and thus, why gaming is so big as an "industry") is any coder with an idea can make a game. Remember Flappy Bird? That's part of what makes the industry so big. I eagerly await Clash of Clanstown, Candy Crush Hollow, and FarmVille in the next park, if we're going strictly on financial popularity.
Oh my god this makes me so depressed about the video game industry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.