Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney to charge for parking at resorts?

I’d be fine with parking fees if I wasnt beaten for two decades that Disney is better and less shady for just “including the fees” in the prices for the hotels.

Beach Club this weekend is $575 a night.
Royal Pacific is $414.

YES. Please point me in the direction of all those threads. I need to do some... bumping.

Well Cabana is by far the better deal than any value at Disney. Stayed at all star movie for one night the other week and that was more than enough time. Place was terrible.
I've always felt CBBR was basically equal to , or slightly better, then the Disney moderates. Better pools, the Lazy River, walking distance to parks & CitiWalk, lot's of more affordable suites, and better single room prices then Disney moderates. And I stay at Disney moderates when I'm on Disney property, so it's an easy comparison for me.

Yeah, this just adds more to the pile. We were considering doing a 9 day family Disney trip after SW opens. It wasn't going to be all Disney every day, so we were going to either drive or get rental cars so we could get around. We were even talking about trying to splurge and get Savannah rooms at AK lodge. This change ads ~$225 a car to that trip. Even if we didn't do the Savannah rooms, we sure weren't going to stay in a value resort for 9 days. While compared to what the rest of that trip was going to cost, $225 isn't all that much. It's just when you add that to all the other upcharges, add-ons, and inevitable monetized FP's, it starts to get to the point where we could do multiple weeks of vacation doing something else instead. It's depressing really.

At least it's still free to park during the day for visiting restaurants. For now. I do that a lot more than I stay on site.

I just read the backstory of this new offering and it is really almost as amazing as the Disney Springs one.
Anyway, can't wait to see parking fees for Disney Springs, that would just be amazingly magical. Disney should change the name into Magical Parking.

I just read the backstory of this new offering and it is really almost as amazing as the Disney Springs one.
Anyway, can't wait to see parking fees for Disney Springs, that would just be amazingly magical. Disney should change the name into Magical Parking.
Disney doesn’t own the Disney Springs garages so they can’t really charge for it. They also said that they would not charge for parking when getting some of the approvals. They do currently offer preferred parking in the regular Disney owned lot.

keep in mind this is just the start...I'm willing to bet the price for parking isn't excluded from annual price hikes.

Also tiered parking prices based on hotel is even more insulting...

keep in mind this is just the start...I'm willing to bet the price for parking isn't excluded from annual price hikes.

Also tiered parking prices based on hotel is even more insulting...

Don’t Universal charge differently for parking depending on the hotel?

Don’t Universal charge differently for parking depending on the hotel?
Yes. CBBR is less than the deluxes.....At least now we won't have to listen to someone popping over here from one of the Disney boards and gloating about how they don't pay for parking at WDW...Seriously though, it always made sense for Universal to charge for hotel parking, since like Disneyland hotels that also charge parking fees, they are close to the parks and people going to the parks would scam and fill up all the hotel parking spaces if they were free....With WDW though, since most of the hotels are far from the parks and they have unlimited space, parking charges were something they could always avoid if they wanted.

I know this kind of hurts the locals who come down to the parks and spend a couple days- week(s). In my perspective from someone who travels 1500 miles and relies on WDW transport it’s justifiable. Is it fair that I have to pay for on resort parking even though I don’t have a car?

Yes. CBBR is less than the deluxes.....At least now we won't have to listen to someone popping over here from one of the Disney boards and gloating about how they don't pay for parking at WDW...Seriously though, it always made sense for Universal to charge for hotel parking, since like Disneyland hotels that also charge parking fees, they are close to the parks and people going to the parks would scam and fill up all the hotel parking spaces if they were free....With WDW though, since most of the hotels are far from the parks and they have unlimited space, parking charges were something they could always avoid if they wanted.
If they were free they could easily just install gate arms that open with room key cards. That's not the reason Disneyland or Universal charge for parking.

I know this kind of hurts the locals who come down to the parks and spend a couple days- week(s). In my perspective from someone who travels 1500 miles and relies on WDW transport it’s justifiable. Is it fair that I have to pay for on resort parking even though I don’t have a car?
The rack rate isn't going to go down now that parking isn't included.

And now someone that drives not only pays for The Magical Express (lumped into the rack rate) that they don't use, but is paying for parking on top of that.

The really need to Upcharge The Magical Express now too.

That’s what I was curious about and this pricing structure and the rack rates are mind boggling. They should honestly have 2 structures a local Florida resident that would include parking and an out of town that doesn’t include parking but includes Magical Express. Kind of flawed but you get the general idea, instead of shoehorning everyone into paying the same price for services they don’t use.

I could see them throwing in "free parking" as a FL resident special hotel promotion.

Also, this isn't going to stop people from going to Universal. It's just going to cause them to spend more money on their vacation.